Charging batteries in the device or using external battery charger, which is better?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Internal vs. external charging, which is better? - By Mooch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N32BOzCRCg

Recently Battery Mooch released a video about the comparison of internal and external charging. He listed the pros and cons of the internal charging and external charging, and told use which one to choose. On his blackboard, he wrote that he recommend external, for the following reason:
- Flexibility and testing/monitoring
- But check for wrap damage
- Choose what's best for you
- Might not be what's best for others though!

Using an external battery charger, you can choose the charging current by yourselves, test the battery capacity, and monitor the internal resistance and so on. And there are more and more new functions added on the external charger, such as reviving over-discharged batteries, adjusting the storage voltage of batteries, discharging batteries and refreshing NiMH battery memory.

Although external charger is not as convenient as internal charger to some extent, it pay more attention to prolong battery life and ensure charging safety.

What's your opinion? Which charging method do you use frequently?

grinsefalle

Newly Enlightened
I vote for external charging. I have seen some internal charging ports fail (LEO, duty flashlights), mostly because of broken USB-ports. These are quite fragile ports and components, which are, in my opinion, not suited for regular charging (plug in, plug out) and movement of the cable/flashlight. The moment or forces of the cable on the USb port or circuit board can cause a failure.
It may work quite well for flashlight used at home, but for professional use, which doesn't follow the "handle with care" principle every time, external charging would be better.
And, of course, you can charge your spare battery, while using your light...