rc helicopter

turbodog

Flashaholic
I particuarly like what I call the "flyswatter". It was when he was about head high pointed up and swatted the heli back and forth.

Darell

Flashaholic
Man. VERY few things surprise me anymore these days. This did it!

I've seen some flying, but NOTHING like this. I'm still shaking my head about being a mm of the tarmac inverted! I'd sure like to know how many machines he's been through to get that good! DAMN. Thanks for sharing.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I didn't even know moves like that were possible with a RC copter. That's the real meaning to "skill". I've gotta go watch it again!

jtice

Flashaholic
,,,,,,, My mouth didnt shut the entire time I watched that,,, BOTH times! lol

MAN,,,,,,,,, speechless.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was awesome. I have a couple a friends that are rc copter pilots....but not neeeeaaaaaar that good!!!

jtice

Flashaholic
The rotor blades on those little choppers can flip completly upside down.
Something a real chopper cant do.

Due to its larger and heavier, and I dont think the parts could phyically handle it.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the rotor have to spin backwards, when it's upside down?

I'll find out if I was thinking straight tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
Doesn't the rotor have to spin backwards, when it's upside down?

I'll find out if I was thinking straight tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
id guess that they reverese the angle of the rotor bladdes or pitch but i may be very wrong

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I'm impressed

The part that got me thinking back to "old times" was the LOW inverted hover

I used to be a semi serious U/C flyer, and in fact, flew a class of plane called "fast combat" - Picture a small (3 foot wind span) flying wing, with a .36 cu in pressure fed engine running 40% nirtomethane (the stuff most kids tried to fly were .049 cu In, and an 15%-25% Nitro) - we had planes that did 125+MPH and could do a loop in about 3-4 foot diameter!! Now, two important facts about these planes

1)No landing gear (too much drag)
2)The prop was USALLY a 8" diameter prop - sometimes a 9

When practicing, we used to mow the lawn with the prop - we could fly low enough to start clipping the grass - got TOO low in the grass, the engine would stop, a little lower than that, and you had a bag of balsa parts to bring home

It was part of "Getting to know the limits" One of our guys designed a bird that was about 5-10 mph slower than what most folks were flying at the time (most current birds are more like what had) - now that would normally be the end, but we could turn TIGHTER than anyone else at the time - we only did 110-115mph, but could do a 3-4 foot loop, where other planes did 120, but needed 6-7 feet. Our favorite "sucker" move was to fly about 5 feet off the deck, and do an "outside" loop (aka, go DOWN to do the loop) - about 25-30% of the time, you could sucker the guy into trying to follow you. We'd make it - they would plant the airplane at 120 into the ground - we'd then win the match on "air time"