M91T with high-low is a perfect EDC

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need a dedicated M91T thread.
Got one years ago but just started EDCing it.

Low makes a great general mode. Long runtime, good lux, yet you get the turbo mode with a twist that far exceeds m60 and such and is in the Hound Dog territory (well not really but 80% there). Comparing them side by side, m91t loses but not by much.

Running high generated a wow from me. It is a turbo mode and from a relatively small package.

Md3 gets you 2x18500 which I know arent great and you dont get an increase in runtime over an 18650 HD, just more lumens. Thats how 18500 are, their capacity is inherently low.

Oh and M91T will run on 2x18650 *and* 4x123 as a great backup option. Wonder what the runtime is on low in that config. M60 cant do that. Hound Dog can but it is huge and hard to edc. Unless you pick 18650Hd Which is nice but it wont run high on 123s for longer than a nanosecond relatively speaking.

M91t seems to strike a nice balance of power and featuures.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Been using a 91T/MD3 as my primary work light for a few months. Agree with you that's it's a very versatile light. Kinda big in the MD3 form to EDC though.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x18500 is still guilt free, that's what I run my M91N 5000K on. Love it.

M91N is a totally different beast. Much lower lux, 8500 vs 18K or so, ballpark. M91*T* throws like a *** (fill in the blank). _that_ is the point.

M91T has lower lumens than M91 (especially latest permutations) yet feels like it has more power (whatever that means) due to lux's that's about 2.5 greater.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been using a 91T/MD3 as my primary work light for a few months. Agree with you that's it's a very versatile light. Kinda big in the MD3 form to EDC though.

I've always felt that Surefire 9P / Malkoff MD3 type format is at the upper size of what I can EDC. It's very comfortable to hold, not too small, not too large. Fits into my pants cargo pocket just fine.

6P / MD2 is a better EDC but with fewer options. M61 just doesn't generate a wow effect for me, and M91T does. There is a huge 200-300 lumen difference between M61 and M91T.

I've been spoiled by the numerous devices I've had and the wow effect is a rarity.

Hound Dog is another wow effect type light, Super included but try EDCing that.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of my rules is that a light should be able to run on all the batteries that you can insert in the body. Meaning an MD4 body should always take 123 cells, x4. Therefore I would not install M61 in an MD4 because while you can run it on 18650s, you cannot on primaries and inevitably one will mistaken it.

With M91T, it's like a downsized Hound Dog. Fewer lumens, granted, lower lux but yeah it runs in the MD4 format well and the compact head means you can EDC even the MD4 format. and when i travel, I don't mess with Li-ion and that's where primaries come in.

And M91T runs on 2xAA Alkalines and Lithiums as well. Granted just in the low mode but that's 25 lumens, meaning you can get a built-in M61LLLL mode that's free with the high-low ring.

Two lights in one, an economy light that turns into a Ferrari with a twist.

WhiskeyLight

Newly Enlightened
I've got a couple of 18500s out for delivery today that I bought to try in my 91T/MD3 rather than a single 18650. Was thinking I'd rather have the brightness than the runtime with this one. Still crazy to me that 91s will run on 2xAA.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya and I'll have to check my notes but pretty sure I got over 90 hours on 2XAA.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I've got a couple of 18500s out for delivery today that I bought to try in my 91T/MD3 rather than a single 18650. Was thinking I'd rather have the brightness than the runtime with this one. Still crazy to me that 91s will run on 2xAA.

Yes the 91's were meant to be bright. I run my 91's on 2 lithium ions and they are much brighter then on a single lithium. It's nice to have as an option but as you say I'd rather have the horse power not the mileage. Got plenty other long run lights.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather have the horse power not the mileage.

You have both if you run in the MD3 or MD4 with the high and low ring from Malkoff. That's the real point, you have what amounts to a high-lux M61 4xL *and* a detuned version of the Malkoff Hound Dog. Malkoff lists these as 800 or so lumens and 25 is perfect on low for every day kind of things. But flick it on high and OMG, it's a wall of light.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the only serious disadvantage of a M91T/MD3 config is that on Li-ion, such as 18500 cells, once the cut-off kicks in they suddenly go out. There is no gradual decline when you are light on 1x18650, I do that and they are all unprotected.

protected cells can and will cut off at the worst possible time.

I wonder what the lumens are on a single 18650 cell. If it still exceeds M61. I get it it's substantially lower.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still highly recommend the M91T MD3 on the threads looking for a Duty Light recommendations, it's small enough to always be on a duty belt and has a much higher output than its compact size would suggest.

With two 18500 (2000mAh) batteries it will run for just over 90 minutes on high.

Compared to what I carried in the past, a Surefire G2 with 60 lumens and a runtime of 60 minutes, it's like a light sabre!! :thumbsup:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the beam profile a lot. It can punch. Yet a bit floody.
Projected 25+ meters out there, it is the perfect profile.
Much better and stronger than m61. And with more lumens.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya I use to carry the M61T. My job finds me In a lot of dark open spaces. It worked but just. The 91T throws much further and is a lot brighter and is perfect for me as a work light. As I say a little big to EDC for me though

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low is only 25 lumens but the much higher lux makes it look like more lumens. Thus the m91t module on low is more usable than other modules on low.
Except Hound Dogs of course.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any other fans of M91T?

It's an overlooked module.

It, like Hound Dog, runs on 4x123 or 2x18650. which is nice. Unlike HD, it's a lot more compact and light and gets better runtime.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Use mine every day. Just wish I could put it in some of my other hosts. Got a 3X1850 I love to toss it in.