Using NiMH in devices designed for NiCd?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good afternoon all,

I'm playing with a pile of "vintage" (read: old and cheap) test equipment that I got a while back trying to see what works and what doesn't. Specifically a Simpson 460 bench VOM, a BK Precision 820 capacitance meter, and a Fluke something or other bench VOM. All use NiCD C or D cells and I was told they won't work properly on AC without the cells installed. Sure enough the Simpson was acting weird but I stole the NiMHs out of the Mag-Lite that sits by the front door (it has some old Maha Imedion AAs in it with D cell adapters) and it settled right down.

Now it looks like I can find NiCD D cells (Amazon sells Tenergy made ones) but my AAs in adapters actually have more capacity (5000 for the NiCd, let's say at 2100mAh three AAs would be 6300, or a purpose made D cell NiMH is 10,000 these days). I CAN'T seem to find C size NiCd cells with button tops at all.

Is it really bad to use NiMH instead? I'm sure when the meters are plugged in it just floats the cells at 5.something volts/4 cells. I'm well stocked on NiMH.

Unfortunately, only the Simpson came with cells in it and they were well and truly toast. Had to do the Deoxit treatment on the battery holder.

Thanks for any advice.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good afternoon all,

I'm playing with a pile of "vintage" (read: old and cheap) test equipment that I got a while back trying to see what works and what doesn't. Specifically a Simpson 460 bench VOM, a BK Precision 820 capacitance meter, and a Fluke something or other bench VOM. All use NiCD C or D cells and I was told they won't work properly on AC without the cells installed. Sure enough the Simpson was acting weird but I stole the NiMHs out of the Mag-Lite that sits by the front door (it has some old Maha Imedion AAs in it with D cell adapters) and it settled right down.

Now it looks like I can find NiCD D cells (Amazon sells Tenergy made ones) but my AAs in adapters actually have more capacity (5000 for the NiCd, let's say at 2100mAh three AAs would be 6300, or a purpose made D cell NiMH is 10,000 these days). I CAN'T seem to find C size NiCd cells with button tops at all.

Is it really bad to use NiMH instead? I'm sure when the meters are plugged in it just floats the cells at 5.something volts/4 cells. I'm well stocked on NiMH.

Unfortunately, only the Simpson came with cells in it and they were well and truly toast. Had to do the Deoxit treatment on the battery holder.

Thanks for any advice.

As far as I know, in every application where NiCd cells are used, NiMH cells are an equivalent modern replacement. Old nicads were problematic as they aged, which is why NiMH became so popular. They also, as you observed, have a higher capacity.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Nimh can replace Nicd in all but a few instances such as trickle charging and very hi current draw devices.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other problem is:
1- Charger of NiCad is normally charging at 1/10 C for 14~16 hours (after complete discharge) and user must stop overcharging.
NiMH of similar size, has much higher capacity so charging at same rate will not fully recharge the cells at 14~16 hours.
2- NiMH cells unlike NiCad don't like overcharge so better use smart charger. I am not saying that NiCads like to be overcharged but they are more robust against overcharge.

turbodog

Flashaholic
You should be fine. Just make sure the cells don't get above slightly warm if your devices charge them during usage.