M61T, M91T and Hound Dog 18650 for EDC

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use these 3 for my EDC needs. Depending on the situation.

Hound Dog mostly around the house, since I can always have access to 18650 and it's not a great travel light or camping device since it only runs on 18650 (well) and I like the ability to use primaries while traveling.

The M61T / MD2 is nice for EDC needs. It's basically M61 with a higher lux value. Making it appear stronger. It's when I need something uber compact.

The M91T is almost a weapon, it's almost as bright as the HD, has low at 25 lumens, high at about 800 lumens (300-400 lumens more than M61 or M61T, approximately) and runs on 18500 /3x123 in the MD3 config and 2x18650/4x123 in the MD4 config.

There are a few cool things about the M91T / MD3 combo.

First you can run 2xAA in it if you must, on low. In addition to primaries and the 18500s. I like that option while traveling. MD3 is at the upper level of what they let you through in airports.

and since the upper voltage figure is 12V, yes you can run M91T on 3x18650. How is that for a wild combo.

Outside of these, I don't really run any other EDCs. The HD super comes in emergencies, outdoor. The full size Hound Dogs are standby devices.

all in all, the "T" are underrated.

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also use a very similar setup.
I use the M61 HOT, M91T and full size Hound Dog.
Traveling I usually take a less expensive light like the Streamlight PolyTac X which I can use with an 18650 or 2x123 as a primary and then an 1xAA battery Fenix light.
The "T" series do add more punch. I would like to see a higher lux rating in a future M61T/HOT or 91T.
All in all, I am very happy with these Malkoff's.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I travel with m91t high-low ring and primaries.
I like the fact that you can always stick lith AAs in it or even alkalines if you must, that are available world wide.

That wont generate 25 lumens but it will run. Forget Nimh.

It is so easy on mAh on low that I usually bring back most of my spare cells.