is there any new led that is the goto led for brightness

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's way too open a question for a definitive answer, even before you threw in "and efficiency".

Are you looking for brightness at all cost? Are you looking for surface brightness, or total lumens? Does CRI matter? CCT?

The highest lumens/watt are in green LEDs, but I don't think anyone makes high power greens. Do you want white?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
efficiency is my biggest want .led color id want white cri is no concern for me

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
SBT90.2 is the current hot hot thing. All of my large single and multiple emitter lights that do not have SBT90.2 are severely obsolete.

All of my medium size single and multiple emitter lights that do not have SBT90.2 are severely obsolete. All of my small single and multiple emitter lights that do not have SBT90.2 or Osram W2/W1 are severely obsolete.

The only possible exceptions are XHP70.2, where maximum flood power at short range is needed, and Osram W1/W2 and/or similar emitters, where for some reason, the flashlight must be very very small.

Currently, manufacturers are fitting flashlights for the 90.2, much like a while ago when manufacturers scrambled to fit flashlights with the XHP35.

XP-L is no longer hot anymore, either. It came and took the small light world by storm, but W1 and W2 and similar are the current big thing for small lights.

I have a three dozen lights with obsolete emitters, and I am keeping them, because they bring me happy memories.

Best bet when making a new purchase: Avoid emitters that were the rage last year, but are not the rage currently.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, for myself, I use all of my lights for stretches of 10 to 12 hours. I wear my lights on wrist and headlamp. I also outfit 3 to 6 guys per job. No swapping allowed. The buck Puck 700 ma, allows over 9 hours. With an xpl v6 4000k I get 374 lumens and over 5800 lux on a 31mm smo. We have dimmer, dimmed slightly below perceptible dimming, can get closer to 12 hours. 2p18650 Panasonic....

Obviously, I pay more, make my own lights to avoid inefficient drivers, insane drive levels. 4000lux at 1 meter is minimal lux necessary for bouncing 3 to 12 meters inspection, with 6 being average.

My question is how, at zero to a useful 700 ma, does the SBT90.2 perform lpw and lux per watt in a 36 mm, 31mm smo.

Unfortunately, the xml and xpl suck in a 26 mm if drive level is limited to 350 ma due to a single 18650. However, the xpl hi does get the needed 4000 lux a 1 meter at 350 ma.

I have not invested time or money since 2016, because of stagnation. So, am interested in this sb90. 2 if it can get the 202 lpw at 350 ma and 187 at 2W cpu heatsink and vented bezel, al reflector, copper tube pivot heatsinking. Ability to focus and have respectable throw (4k candela at 1w), at 1 and 2 watts.

I think the op is complaining that manufacturers have ignored efficiency at 10h or longer use times, in favor of the Wow factor... A light needs to be designed for full 10 to 12 hours at max brightness, and longer camping runtime. A second driver should be used for higher currents, with 4 to 5 hr and 2 to 2.5 hour targets. Anything shorter needs to be saved for police search lights, or a third driver.