Oh MY GOD... The Luxeon III's throw...

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Oh MY GOD... The Luxeon III\'s throw...

these things are crazy.

why does it throw farther than My 5 watt?

the beam seem the same size and actually looks just as bright (TVOJ on 3 AA's DD @ 1 amp) as the 5 watt too(V3U on 6AA's drawing 1 Amp ,the 3 123's blow it out the water though :))

it is weird now I know what the fuss is about... more throw for $20 instead of Shucking out for a 5 watt.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Oh MY GOD... The Luxeon III\'s throw...

The reason that you get more throw out of a 3W is because the 3W only has a single light source as opposed to the four in a 5W. What this means is that it is easier to collimate the light coming from a 3W because the entire light source of a 5W is much bigger than that of a 3W.

Since you're impressed by the throw, I'm going to guess that you used some sort of a reflector. If you haven't, you haven't even tapped into the capabilities of the 3W yet.

If you used a PR, that is easily a 100+ yard light. You can get a 5W to throw as far, but you'll need a much bigger reflector. Say about the size of a M@g D reflector.

You should note that the 5W is probably still putting out more overall light though.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

Yea it is (5 watt more light),But it just seems to reach out...and out ... and out.This is with a D Mag light reflector... and it is past a 100 yard light.

Darell

Flashaholic

What Chop said. Take your 5W L4, and perform a LuxIII-switcheroo on it. BANG, more throw. Isn't quite as wide and floody up close, but man what I great combinatino of throw and side-spill. Love the single-die!

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened

You just cant beat the LuxIII mag combo, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif my 3D mag has been my "goto" light since my conversion to a TWOK and the glow paint job to make it easily visible in the dark. My latest mod has been running it on 4 c's, let me tell u.. killer baby! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif It was a hell of allot brighter then 3 D cells but i added in 1 ohm of resistance to keep things on the safer side.. thinking about living dangerously and taking it out though. What are your thoughts guys?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

4 C's will KILL it in short order. 3 D's DD is a great setup. Leave it like that.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

The runtime of the DD 3D is unbelievable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

raggie33

*the raggedier*

my ragmag that mr bulk made it throws farter then all my lights even my pt surge.its fun going to the clock tower at night and lighting up top of it or going to lake and shineing across it.its cool cause ua can see the beam so easly

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened

It's a wicked throw. Hammer it!

An LIII in a PM6 mod at 1.2A is real nice, in a Mag at 1.2A+ it's great. I have one at a regulated 2A in a 1D Mag and it's still going after several months and impressing all with it's visible beam as it burns through the night air.

Chris

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened

What circuit are you using to feed it that 2A, and where can i get one?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I've been looking everywhere for a regulated circuit that can pump out 1.5 amps but haven't been able to find anything.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

DaMeatMan: his regulator I beleive is a uFlex circuit. It is a buck regulator, not boost. It regulates voltage/current..

I normaly have no use for tight spot beams. It's like looking through a pin-hole. But, I do want one light that will shoot super far for the fun of it and seeing things way way way far off. So I will be building one after all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened

Where can i get one, could you perhaps post a link to a site or thread with info on obtaining one. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*

Do a search for uFlex posted by CPF member name georges80 (the designer of the uFlex board). I haven't tried the uFlex, but I have used his 5W circuit in a couple of builds.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

i believe george's circuit only goes at max 1 amp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
this and the fact that BR made the circuit for MR-X lead me to believe that this 2 amp circuit is his homemade.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah. I was unsure. Then it's the MR circuit.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Issac/Meatman... It is indeed a custom driver. TY Shifty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

trailhead

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
If you used a PR, that is easily a 100+ yard light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who sells the PR reflectors?

Duane