Anyone know about Rock Tumblers?

avusblue

Enlightened
I had one as a kid and I remember it was fun to transform "found rocks" into "smooth, polished rocks" in a month -- something nature would take thousands of years to do.

Now our twin boys turn 8 in a couple weeks and they love to find and collect rocks. They expressed interest in a rock tumbler to shape and polish them up. I think it would be a good present for them to share. Can anyone recommend a brand / place to look?

We like that this would teach that good results require patience and following a process. 4 one-week grinds which gradually turn a rough rock into a smooth, pretty piece.

Quick googling led me to Dad's Rock Shop which had useful info. Looks like the Lortone line of tumblers are what they recommend for lasting quality. Seems like you don't want to cheap out with something that will be running nonstop weeks at a time, a $29.99 special from Toys R Us, with a crappy motor, is false economy.

Anyway, I'm looking for any useful advice or experience from the group. Seems like there's no topic too out-of-bounds for our illustrious group of experts!

Thanks very much, I need to decide and get something ordered by end of week or so.

Cheers,

Dave

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Depends on how much you want to spend!! Actually, a "vibratory tumbler" works a LOT faster. Want pro grade? Rio Grande Jewelry Supply is "the place"

You can always make your own - a few small bearings, some plywood, a capped plastic drum, and a small motor. Add stones, grit and water. The best commercial systems are vibratory, and the water flows through the grit, and gets filtered - takes the waste away, so it cuts faster

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
we had good service out of the lortone gear we used as a teen.
slab saw,grinder/polisher ,ect.
have an old wards tumbler i used very heavily and it held up well.still use it to polish cartridge cases when reloading.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
If you can't find a Rock Shop or crafts store near you try this mail order shop in Wisconson Berg's they should be able to get one to you by the end of the week. Check for a RockHound Club in your area, someone may have a used one.

I doubt you want to go the $3000+++ faceting machine route for a pair of eight year-olds. I started faceting when I was 18 and had to quit at 68 due to rapidly failing eyes. Requires infinite patience, exacting attention to detail and nerves of a cat burgular.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, but in faceting, you can create real beauty. It is better to learn and practice with things like quartz or synthetic (man made) ruby or sapphire. Bunch cheaper than the natural facet rough.

Cabbing is also a good alternative. Tumbled stones can be drilled for making bead jewelry, or they can be epoxied onto things without drilling. There are things that can be done with tumbled stones, though this is considered as low end lapidary.

chumley

Enlightened
I still have a Lortone tumbler that is about 30 years old. It was used for a couple of years for rock polishing, and for many more years to clean and polish cartridge cases.

I think I might have replaced the motor once.

lightnix

Enlightened
Don't skimp on the cost ! You get what you pay for and cheap stuff almost always costs more in the end. Have you hunted on e-bay ? - always worth a look.

If you're into rock and gem hunting, check out www.mindat.org - a fabulous resource with tens of thousands of entries, cross referenced with locations and some excellent photo galleries.