Does water spoil?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been keeping boiled water in 2 liter Coke bottles. They are there purely for emergencies, so the water does not get changed. Do I need to worry about the water going bad? I used two bottles during the NE blackout, without problem, but a couple of those bottles have been sitting there for nearly 2 and a half years now. Thanks for the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd think boiled water wouldn't spoil, but i have heard stories of bottled water developing strange growths after very longterm storage..

in my opinion tho, water doesn't go bad.. if i need water i'll drink it! haha

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most bottled water shows a "use by" date of 2 years but researchers claim that water doesn't have to be used for at least 10 years or longer.

My sister has a 55 gallon drum of water that's she's had for 27 years and I'd die of thirst before I would drink it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Marty

Greta

Flashaholic
I've heard that the plastic of the container starts to break down after a certain period of time... I believe that's why there is an expiration date on bottled water. So the water doesn't really go "bad" but the packaging does. And if the plastic is breaking down, it's gotta go somewhere.. into the water?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i never drink water i mean never ever well it may be in stuff i drink i like milk gateraide pepsi

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
I have had some experience in the bottled water business so think I can answer your question. No, water does not "spoil" per se. But I think you are asking the wrong question. It should be "After extended storage, will this water (as you have described) be safe to drink?"

The answer to that question is "Yes, if you have taken care to store it properly". Water can become contaminated from both organic and inorganic sources. Since you have boiled the water, it should not have any source for organic growth in it. But what about the container. Was it sterilized, too? If not, that could be a problem (especially if it previously contained a sugar based liquid). Also, how was it sealed? Is it airtight? If not, that could be a possible source of contamination. Also, it should not be stored in sunlight, which promotes organic growth as well as deterioration of plastic. A problem would be evidenced by organic growth in the water.

The other possible problem is that molecules from a plastic container will leach into the water over time. Nothing you can do about that. The good news is that this is primarily a taste issue (the water will taste bad). I doubt you will be drinking enough of it to make it a health issue. The rate of leaching is dependent on the type of plastic. You described "2 liter Coke bottles". These use a fairly soft plastic with a relatively high leach rate. Depending on the environment, these types of bottles are also prone to deteriorate and leak. They really are not suitable for long term storage.

The best medium for long term storage is glass (which is why you can still drink 50 year old wine). Glass is easily broken, however, as well as being heavy. A good compromise would be a polycarbonate plastic bottle. Polycarbonate is a high quality, relatively hard (and thus expensive) plastic. It is used for making car bumpers and eyeglasses, for example. The larger the bottle, the better, as that maximizes the amount of water for the surface area of the plastic. The bottled water industry uses both 3 and 5 gallon polycarbonate bottles, and those are what I would recommend to you for your storage.

paulr

Flashaholic
General advice is to put in a drop or so of clorox per gallon of water, and rotate the water every 6 months. In fact I posted a week or so ago about some water I'd left in a 1 liter Lexan bottle for about 3 years; it smelled and tasted fine (small sample) but I wasn't about to drink the whole thing without a good reason. I have some even older PET(?) 1 gallon bottles full of tap water that I'll get around to testing I guess.

Fancy emergency kits these days generally include purified water sealed in foil pouches (4 ounces) or aquablox (8 ounces). These are sterile containers with 5 year expiration rather than 6 months. The easier maintenance makes up for the expense, I guess.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with DougNel and paulr on this. If you take their advice you will be in good shape! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mike

jtice

Flashaholic
Good advice guys.,

I say, if you boil the water, and make sure the container is CLEAN, you should be fine.

If you plan to store it for years..
Boil the water, and the glass bottle.

If its in a clean glass bottle, it should be fine for years if kept in a dark place.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife does canning, guess you could can water the same way. Ok, they call it "canning" but you use jars, don't ask me why ..... I'm just sayin'. You don't need any fancy equipment to do this.

Anyhow, boil the water and boil (sterilize) the jar, clean the lids. Pour the boiled water into the jar, pop on the lid. As it cools, a vacuum is created which pulls the lid down (you should hear a pop) which creates an air tight seal. That should keep water good for a very long time.

Mike

ledlurker

Enlightened
Plastic also allows oxygen to pass through to get in the water. If Oxygen can get through I wonder what else can. I use 3 and 5 gallon glass carboys to make wine because plastic imparts odd tastes and the oxygen oxidizes the wine. I have a 5 gallon batch my dad made before he died in 87 and it is still fine (as long as I remember to keep pumping the air out after sampling).

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use and would recommend a KATADYN filter. They are highly respected and have made water filters for over 50 years. Their filters do not require electricity.

I would disenfect some stable containers and then filter the water before sealing it up in them. This first filtering would be a simple way to retard growth of bacteria during storage. I would not consider this, by itself, to be enough.

If worse comes to worse, when it's time to use the water, filter it again, aerate it by pouring it back and forth a few times between two containers, and it should be safe and tasty.

Katadyn

We have been using the Katadyn Drip Filter for years to filter all of our drinking/cooking water as municipal water quality has been going downhill throughout the States for 35 years. This trend will continue. Bottled water does not test out any better in the lab than tap water.

Trying to keep water pristine in storage is way too dificult. Just filter it, put it in a clean container for storage and to be on the safe side, filter it again before you use it.

Also, having the filter on hand in an emergency is cool because in addition to your stored water you can use any water you can find.

Aten_Imago

Banned
Based on my 3 year experiment properly bottled- tap water can keep at least 3 years with no dicernable aftertaste. The facts;
1- 8, 2 liter bottles (4 empty plastic Sprite & 4 empty OJ bottles)
1.1 Emptied and thouroughly rinsed
1.2 1- Drop of diluted chlorox (1+20) was dropped into 1/2 of the bottles
2- Each bottle was then filled to the brim with cold tap water.
2.1 The chlorinated bottles were filled with water through a fresh PUR faucet flter
2.2 1/2 of the unchlorinated bottles (2) were filled with plain cold Maryland tap water and the remaining (2) ones with PUR filtered tap water.
3-All bottles were 'tapped' to release air bubbles
3.1 All bottles were 'sqeeze' evacuated to increase vacuume pressure
3.2 a clean piece of saran wrap (2"X2") was placed over the mouth of each bottle prior to closing them with thier respective caps.
Results- After 3 years, the filtered waters tasted the same and had 'no' taste at all. The 2 bottles of plain unfiltered tap water had percipitated a fine layer of brown sediment and tasted slightly foul to undrinkable. Testing of all the waters revealed a substantian amount of Iron & Lead in the Unfiltered tap water and some micro-organisms in the unfiltered water and filtered un-clorinated waters alike. I did not try boiling any of the waters. I would have no problem drinking the chlorinated/filtered water even a year or two from now. One drop of 1+50 chlorox seems to be the ticket to dissinfecting the contents. The Saran Wrap ensures that a tight seal is made,preventing any air from entering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, we are on our own well with a 500 gallon holding tank and a 120 gallon pressure tank. When the power goes out, I run my generator (runs on LP) to operate the pumps so we always have water.

But I still keep 2-3 gallons in the fridge. We rotate it out regularly cuz we drink it instead of running the tap to get the water colder.

Sooooo ...... everyone go dig their own well, sink a pump, setup a holding tank, get a generator. You'll be all set! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

Topper

Flashaholic*
I swap it out every 3 months or so. Also be careful what you store it around not just in. Paint kerosene other nasty things will leech through the plastic soda bottles and cause it to taste bad long before it becomes undrinkable. We have bad weather at times (tornados) and we are on a fault line so I try to keep a few things up just in case.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The plastics used on water and soda bottles have a hardness rating that's usually stamped into the bottom of the bottle in the form of a single-digit number. I belveve, as someone else said here, that the softer plastics will leach into the water sooner than the harder ones. I believe the higher the number, the softer it is, thus the most food-safe bottle would be a # 1, while a #7 would be junk in terms of suitability for food or water storage.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I love this site, sooo many smart people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Let me see if I got this straight. The Coke bottles are not ideal, BUT will work. The plastic leeching into the water will only affect taste, but is not hazardous. If in a pinch, I can drink and cook with this stuff with no ill affect. Is that right? The polycarbonate bottles and filters are more expensive options I'd prefer to skip for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

I did clean the bottles reasonable well before I filled them. Even did a quick swish with some boiling water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I keep them sealed tight and in a corner covered by plastic bags. I'd do the chlorine thing, but my Clorox has that garden smell and I'm not sure how to break "a drop per gallon" down for a 2 Liter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also afraid the chlorine would do something to the cheap plastic. Aten, did you have any such problem? Guess I'll force myself to work the boiled water into my water rotation, but it's hard waiting for the water to cool over night before pouring it into the bottles!

I checked my Coke bottle and on the bottom it has three arrow forming the corners of a triangle. Inside this triangle is the number 1 and under it is the word "PETE". Is this the food-safe bottle rating? Does this mean it's great for storage?!?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are talking about building up a storage of hundreds of gallons, I would do some serious research to find the answer that you need.

BUT,

If you are talking about a couple of gallons, or enough for several people for several days, keep a supply (to be determined by you) of your favorite botled NON CARBONITATED water around and "label date" it. Use it up after one year, and replace the supply.

I would think that sealed, distilled water would keep the longest, but distilled water, does not taste very good, it has a flat taste to it. Distilled water has no impurities, just solid H2O. The minerals and other "finishing" techniques of bottled water give it a good taste.

My favorite bottled water, BTY, is SAMS'S CHOICE 20oz Purified Drinking Water.

I find that it is consistantly very very good. I have had other bottled water that I swear tasted worse than my tap water.

Also, your technique of boiling water and storing it in a clean container would be a great way to keep water around for washing and cleaning and rinsing etc.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
ALSO . . .

I do know that carbonated water does go bad.

I noticed that my SAM'S CHOICE 20 oz bottled water has a:

Produced Date 01-16-04
Exp Date 01-16-06

Never noticed that before.

Oh, and the stuff costs 2.50 for 12/20 oz bottles.

Flatscan

Enlightened
OT: Recycling codes

PETE (standard clear bottled-water plastic) supposedly leaches dangerous chemicals into stored liquids over time and with repeated washings. Of course, this is from an article that also implies that polycarbonate (Nalgene) leaches dangerous amounts. I'll find the link sometime.

OT: I don't know anything about bottling or storing water, but I do know my plastic recycling codes. These are the numbers inside the triangular recycling symbol, usually with a short acronym descriptor.

1 - PETE: polyethylene tetra-something?
2 - HDPE: high-density polyethylene
3 - V?: PVC?
4 - LDPE: low-density polyethylene
5 - PP: polypropylene
6 - PS: polystyrene
7 - (none) "other"