Opinions on HDS Long Term

Gyro71

Newly Enlightened
Hello, new member but have been lurking for years. Recently got an HDS Rotary. Just had a question, if it's been discuss before please send a link as I couldn't find one.

What is the general consensus on the likely long term sustainability for HDS? Obviously they have a good warranty, but if Henry retires and closes shop, it's worthless. Compared to say Surefire that doesn't revolve around one person for long term sustainability. Think someone will buy HDS and continue the warranty and production? It's a very unique/niche light that may not be profitable for a larger company to continue with. I would think it would take another "Henry" to continue the tradition.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I think we can say this about any of the companies in this sub forum; McGizmo, Okluma, Prometheus, Malkoff, etc. It wouldn't stop me from buying from any of these fine builders. I think the rewards far out weigh the risk. You get to experience lights you can't get anywhere else.

Gyro71

Newly Enlightened
I think we can say this about any of the companies in this sub forum; McGizmo, Okluma, Prometheus, Malkoff, etc. It wouldn't stop me from buying from any of these fine builders. I think the rewards far out weigh the risk. You get to experience lights you can't get anywhere else.

That is true. I was just wondering if there'd been any discussions or intel specifically about HDS.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I've got a few old HDS they all work like new. Clicky and Rotary. Don't hesitate to invest in one of these lights. They are one of the best lights in the world.

Gyro71

Newly Enlightened

That is true. I was just wondering if there'd been any discussions or intel specifically about HDS.

Gyro71

Newly Enlightened
I've got a few old HDS they all work like new. Clicky and Rotary. Don't hesitate to invest in one of these lights. They are one of the best lights in the world.

I never said anything opposed to that. But that doesn't really pertain to the question.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Extreme over-generalization, but I find electronics tend to fail either early (poor build, soldering, bad component, QC, etc) or late (mostly heat-related)

HDS is known for using top quality reliable components and, by design, conservative limits on current draw (and thus heat)

No material thing is eternal, but I expect most of my HDS (and Ra for that matter) to last well beyond the point when their emitters are far surpassed by "future tech"

I am still using flashlights of theirs for a decade-plus, so feel like I've gotten good value so far :shrug:

Gyro71

Newly Enlightened
Extreme over-generalization, but I find electronics tend to fail either early (poor build, soldering, bad component, QC, etc) or late (mostly heat-related)

HDS is known for using top quality reliable components and, by design, conservative limits on current draw (and thus heat)

No material thing is eternal, but I expect most of my HDS (and Ra for that matter) to last well beyond the point when their emitters are far surpassed by "future tech"

I am still using flashlights of theirs for a decade-plus, so feel like I've gotten good value so far :shrug:

I don't disagree with any of that, but it doesn't really pertain to the topic which is what will happen to HDS in the long run.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do HDS lights have capacitors? If so, I wonder what kind of longevity one can expect from them and whether it's better to store a light with a battery or without.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't disagree with any of that, but it doesn't really pertain to the topic which is what will happen to HDS in the long run.

There are two, and only two, individuals who can answer your question.

They have notably declined to weigh in on this topic, and you are not the first to ask.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Do HDS lights have capacitors? If so, I wonder what kind of longevity one can expect from them and whether it's better to store a light with a battery or without.

Yes, IIRC there was a batch of Ra many years back that had an issue. Caps might indeed be the most vulnerable over time, agreed.

Gyro71

Newly Enlightened
There are two, and only two, individuals who can answer your question.

They have notably declined to weigh in on this topic, and you are not the first to ask.

Yep, and I don't expect them to. No different than asking a stranger their retirement plans, kinda rude. Was just looking for general discussion on the topic from the rest of us. Not a hard answer, because even Henry may not have a hard answer himself.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello, new member ....

What is the general consensus on the likely long term sustainability for HDS? Obviously they have a good warranty, but if Henry retires and closes shop, it's worthless....

Yep, and I don't expect them to. No different than asking a stranger their retirement plans, kinda rude. Was just looking for general discussion on the topic from the rest of us....

If you already realize that this is a tasteless (even rude) question, why would this be a reasonable topic for speculation ?

CPF is a pretty small community, and Henry and Hogo are well known personally to many of us here ....

nbp

Flashaholic
Yep, and I don't expect them to. No different than asking a stranger their retirement plans, kinda rude. Was just looking for general discussion on the topic from the rest of us. Not a hard answer, because even Henry may not have a hard answer himself.

Others have joined your general discussion with their input and you have multiple times said that their comments do not pertain to the discussion. If you want people to participate you might try being more welcoming to their thoughts. :shrug:

Gyro71

Newly Enlightened
Others have joined your general discussion with their input and you have multiple times said that their comments do not pertain to the discussion. If you want people to participate you might try being more welcoming to their thoughts. :shrug:

They joined in with general discussion, yes, but off topic. Wasn't trying to be unwelcoming.

Gyro71

Newly Enlightened
If you already realize that this is a tasteless (even rude) question, why would this be a reasonable topic for speculation ?

CPF is a pretty small community, and Henry and Hogo are well known personally to many of us here ....

I recognize it would be tasteless to ask them point blank. But to start a discussion with the rest of us about a topic that affects all of us in the long run I don't think is out of line.

scout24

Flashaholic
So you're asking point blank here in the HDS subforum? (Maybe if you put it in parentheses Henry won't see it...) Curious if you used the search function before asking your question. Here's my not-pertaining-to-the-topic thoughts: They are some serious hard-use lights. They'll probably outlive all of us. Buy four- If one breaks you have three backups. If you manage to break all four you've got bigger problems than warranty service. :D