UV flashlights

dansjeep2000

Newly Enlightened
Anyone own both the Convoy S8 and the UVBeast? I'm in the market for a powerful 365nm light and would like some options on these 2 lights, especially from someone who has both.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are your interests in a Convoy S8 custom build using UV 365nm emitters? Where did you see this offered?

The UVBeast I've read about, and it sounds like an awesome 365nm light, made in Korea

Edit: Researching uv lights I see there is a "mini Beast" that looks interesting. Pocketable size, and states 20-30ft throw

Viewed both mini and big brother offered on eB from the mfgr located in Portland, OR

Btw, I did view Convoy C8 UV on Aliexpress. If you are looking for maximum throw I'd go with the Beast

Last edited:

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
I have both of these my friend...both are incredibly bright. The S8 beam Is more concentrated than the beast and the build quality is beautiful. Got mine from Engenious Designs

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links Dan!

In comparison to output, I'd go with the Beast. Even tho I haven't seen build quality of the Beast, I like the idea of a completely new designed UV flashlight (and made in Korea via UK) verses the C8, that is nicely machined, but can't deny it is an inexpensive light selling for three times it's base worth. And, C8 only has single LG 365nm vs the Beast triple 365nm emitters.. IMO

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I looked at the specs on the Beast and while it says that it's output is 365nm, it doesn't come out and say that the LEDs themselves are 365nm or a longer wavelength with some 365nm content. Can anyone clarify this? I'd like a filtered 365nm thrower also but only if the LED output is truly 365nm, not 390nm with some spill.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
PW, read same thing.. although description states S. Korean LEDs. I went ahead submitted a few specific questions, and asked if the UVBeast V3 uses LG 365nm.. No answer yet

Edit: Today I received some answers to my Beast V3 questions direct from the company;

Aluminum parts are made in China (Trustfire) with Type II anodize. So you can assumed build quality is mediocre at best
So, not made in Korea, as advertised, in fact I am not certain any part of this light is mfgr'd in Korea since the person did not answer what emitters, LG, Nichia, 365nm or otherwise is installed
All of this leaves me thinking, you can read the specs and come up with your own conclusions :thinking:

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Dang. Thanks Knucklegary. Now I'm really wondering about this light if they can't get the basic details straight.

I have a Woods Glass filter as well as a 365nm dichroic filter that I use to check whether a UV LED has any ~365nm content. The Woods filter is great for determining whether there's any energy in the general area of 365nm, and the dichroic filter has a narrower bandpass so it's better for determining whether an actual 365 LED is hitting right at it's center frequency or not. So far I've looked at a number of "blacklight" LEDs that have absolutely no output in the 365nm region, so I'm always skeptical of manufacturer's claims. I've been pleasantly surprised with my Convoy though.

dansjeep2000

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info everyone, this site never fails to impress me with the depth of knowledge available from its members. Looks like I'll be ordering the Convoy. Thanks again!!!