WTB: 1x21700 and 1x18650 95 CRI Medium Beam Simple UI

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently learned about the proliferation of two things that have captured this Flashaholics's interest:

Thing One: 1x21700 cell lights

Thing Two: 95 CRI emitters in a variety of color temperatures

Beam type:

Not too throwy, not too floody, but if I had to choose one, it would be more floody; I dislike tightly focused hotspots with spill because the center is too intense.

The UI I prefer:

My perfect UI is like that of the MG L-Mini II and Shiningbeam S-Mini, i.e., reverse clicky, half-press to change modes, three well-spaced modes such as moonlight, general purpose/medium, and high.

Switch Location:

Tail switches are much easier to find in the dark of night but I am not 100% opposed to side switches. The major downside is your hand/finger doesn't naturally drop to a foolproof location.

Charging:

I still don't fully trust the charging mechanisms inside flashlights; they seem like little lithium-ion pipe bombs waiting to go off.

That being said, if a flashlight's integrated charger had a known track record for safety along the lines of an HKJ test showing proper CC/CV charge cycle, I would want a light that accepted USB-C. I have USB-C chargers on my desk at home and in my car, both readily available, and that convenience is huge, despite my misgivings.

Emitter:

I've been eyeing the SST-20 4000K 95CRI emitter; it looks amazing, both in terms of the raw specs and the few beamshots I've seen.

Contenders Thus Far:

SC31B 4000K 95CRI – 1x18650

Pros: UI seems simple enough
Cons: Would prefer the slightly larger capacity the 1x21700 cell form factor brings

Sofirn IF25A Anduril Rechargeable Alone – 1x21700

Pros: Preferred 1x21700 cells accepted
Cons: This "Anduril" interface intimates the snot out of me! Seems superly-duperly complicated. :(

Convoy S2+, Luminus SST-20, CRI 95, 500 Lumens – 1x18650

Pros: Interface is both simple and programmable without being overly intimidating
Cons: Would prefer the slightly larger capacity the 1x21700 cell form factor brings

Acebeam EC35 Gen II

Pros: Two switches allay concerns over UI.

Lumintop FW4A TLF/BLF EDC Aluminum Flashlight SST-20 4000K Neutral White 95+ CRI – 1x18650

Pros: Very positive reception in various reviews.
Cons: This "Anduril" interface intimates the snot out of me! Seems superly-duperly complicated. :(

Questions as Follows:

1) What else should be on my shortlist?

2) Do any of these stand out in terms of build quality, durability, UI, etc...?

a) These brands are so new (in the big picture)...I find it difficult to know/trust long-term durability

3) Am I being overly paranoid about in-flashlight cell charging?

4) Am I being overly finicky about the "Anduril" interface?

5) Are there any 1x21700 flashlights out there with a simple UI and this emitter?

6) Which "vintage" emitter platform does this SST-20 correlate closest with?

a) Is it a direct swap for the XM-L2, XP-L, XP-G2/XP-G3, etc...?

b) If so, maybe a qualified modder could just put it inside a light I already really like...

*scratches head*

Last edited: