123A in this?

nitebrite

Enlightened
I am running a light that takes a 18350. It currently has 3x XPL-HI on a h17. I was wondering if I could run a good 123A or no way? I realize the issue is amps. I apologize if this is an ignorant question. Thank you

archimedes

Flashaholic
I am running a light that takes a 18350. It currently has 3x XPL-HI on a h17. I was wondering if I could run a good 123A or no way? I realize the issue is amps. I apologize if this is an ignorant question. Thank you

What is the current draw on 18350 ?

nitebrite

Enlightened
That is what I honestly figured Chris. I am guessing with the boost going on the board it is about 4.5 or so Amps. So I am not going to have a very good day if I pull that stunt. archimedes I do not know what the draw on the 18350 is on it but I was told not to use an 18350 that is less than 5 Amps continuous. I think that already answers my question. The light originally had 219C. I swapped them. It was a battery store that told me that. I am just guessing 1.5A might blow. I was hoping the answer was going to be go ahead. I would rather keep my hand.

archimedes

Flashaholic
As others have pointed out, most quality CR123A batteries are safety rated at ~ 1500 mA continuous draw.

My point was that knowing the details of your particular driver are relevant. For example, the Lux-RC engine in the BOSS can be programmed differently, to handle either primaries or secondaries.

Various brands of cells may also differ in their "safety factors" . Some of the cells tested here ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?67078-123-Battery-Shoot-Out

... got too hot at far less current than you seem to imply :caution: :poof:

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
No way.

3 of those LEDs, combined, should exceed the 1.5A rating of the CR123A.

Chris

A lot of Surefire incan lamps, like the P91 and P61 draw well over 1.5A. Obviously they're not for extended use, but a quality CR123A can do more than 1.5A draw.

archimedes

Flashaholic
A lot of Surefire incan lamps, like the P91 and P61 draw well over 1.5A. Obviously they're not for extended use, but a quality CR123A can do more than 1.5A draw.

Pulse ratings are generally higher than continuous.

But OP seems to be considering current draws well in excess of both.

nitebrite

Enlightened
They told me that it is about 4.5A continuous. So, like Chris said no way. I did not post this to Troll. I was hoping it would work for a few minutes. Which is all I use it. I figure now that it might not be worth the risk. The h17 does not let you choose type of cell AFAIK. Even so 1.5A you could overdrive maybe 1.5x. Not to 4.5A. That is continuous. It might burst to 7A or more. That little 123 is almost guaranteed to blow. We all know that Lithium Primaries can blow catastrophically. Even if it is protected that is outright abuse. Which may defeat the protection.

As I mentioned, I kind of like my hand. Again, I honestly did not already have the answer to this. I was hoping your guy's answer was going to be no problem it will do it. That is really not the case. I just googled one XPL-HI easily exceeds 1.5A. Here we have 3 of them and they are overdriven. I think a full 18350 is over 4.25V. Most 123 are not even 3.7. 3.5 is nominal. Seriously though I was hoping I was going to get the green light. I am nowhere even close and I honestly did not know this. I guess there is a reason he told me 15 amp battery. I thought it was 5 amps continuous but I just checked it. It is 5.5 Amps.

It is actually not horrible for me because it is LSD. After 6 months it is at 85%. I really did wish I could use a primary the way I use it. I just have to remember to charge it. Another good thing, after 6 months at 2000ma it takes 10 minutes to top off. So really it is not that big a deal. Where I will run into trouble is if I forget to charge it. Thank you folks. I appreciate your help.

nitebrite

Enlightened
No one needs to reply anymore. I just wanted to correct a mistake I had made. The Keeppower 18350 batteries that I have. They are highly recommended batteries. They have the highest real discharge rate. Therefore it is not 5.5 Amps continuous as I quoted. That was misinformation. Direct from the spec sheet: 10 Amps continuous discharge rate. 15 Amp burst discharge rate. 3.7 volts nominal charge. 4.20 volts topping charge. 1200mah max. 1150mah nominal. Plus the temp specs and everything. So it packs way more punch than a 123A. I guess that is why it was recommended to me. They come 2 in a plastic case for $22. 3xXPL-HI is about 6 amps nominal and mine are overdriven. I was an idiot and I apologize.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I just thought I would update this. There is a reason it says on a card with the light "Keeppower 18350 only". Those are the highest amperage. This draws 9 amps continuous on turbo! A good 123A is 3.5 Amps drain. I am very lucky I did not attempt this!

I just realized that I hijacked my own thread. I apologize. I figured an update was in order so that no one ever tries this if they have a similar light. Of which there many. It is also worth mentioning that this light gets too hot on turbo without a glove to be of any use. This light on turbo puts out on the order of 10,000 lumens. Which is absurd because it will not step down before it explodes. It is honestly a very poor implementation by the maker. Since it has an h17 I have limited it myself. This guy had no limitation on it. Very bad news. I imagine any factory light steps down.

Last edited: