• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

18350/18500 Battery Compartment Pre-Sale

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
18350 and 18500 Battery Compartments will go on a pre-sale on Monday, October 12, 2020 at noon Tucson time. This sale will last until noon of October 31.

The first 50 of each will come with a battery... after that, if there are more orders, you are responsible for your own battery.

The price will be $212 each (same as the 18650 tube).

We will NOT be making any extra for after the pre-sale, so if you want one, this is the only chance.

This is Rotary only. No love for the Executive

Hogo out.

P.S. I've made this a sticky until the pre-sale is over.

Link to the page: https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/Limited/

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will these bodies accept protected and unprotected cells?

I don't know why anyone would use one in an HDS but yes...

Enter Evil Hogo's Battery Rant:

If you notice on the HDS website, the 18650 (18680) is listed just like that with (18680)... because a true 18650 tube won't hold what a bunch of lying POS battery manufacturers call an 18650 when it is really an 18680 with the protection circuit. They lie about size, they lie about capacity, and hence what should be standard and simple is not because of liars.

So yes, we take the lying *******s into consideration when making the tubes.

Don't get me started on 2x4s.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm down.

Quick question: I know you don't want to sell them as complete lights now and have the heads sitting around, but would it be possible to pay for the battery tube now and then add on a head once the tubes are done, from whatever emitters you have at that time?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait for this!

Will the projected overall length with the 18500 be around the length of a surefire e2e?

The e2e is the perfect length for me, it rests comfortably at the edge of my palm.

Also +1 for Random Dans idea.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm down.

Quick question: I know you don't want to sell them as complete lights now and have the heads sitting around, but would it be possible to pay for the battery tube now and then add on a head once the tubes are done, from whatever emitters you have at that time?

Would have answered sooner... but I was... out in the desert shooting again.

At this point, I honestly don't know, so I am going to say "no". I have to make these things as easy on Henry as I can so that I can keep these kinds of things going. These tubes are a major pain (for Henry as he does all the work on them) It actually took quite awhile to make this happen... have been working behind the scenes since the Titanium Rotary on this. This isn't to say that this "no" won't turn into a "yes" but don't get too hopeful. Hopeful yes, too hopeful no. LOL!

I can't wait for this!

Will the projected overall length with the 18500 be around the length of a surefire e2e?

The e2e is the perfect length for me, it rests comfortably at the edge of my palm.

It's been quite a few years since I had an e2e in my hand (loved that in the old incan version... had one as soon as they came out and purchased it from a little shop called Ikari "anchor" in Kobe, Japan. Cool little shop with all kinds of Spyderco knives... but I'm getting sidetracked). It will be right between the size of the 123 and 18650 (18680). I think it is going to a really nice size.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait for this!

Comparison with e2e has also come to my mind and I think this is what should be expected. I do love this length, too.

for years I had had a dcfix film on the lens because for my whitewalling habits the stock beam was not right. but with the film, 140lm floody beam had be clearly not enough for a sparsely lit environment.

yesterday, I took my 140lm rotary for a park walk without the film. wow, it throwed just right, but I had to keep it close to max almost all the time. a 16350 would not last long enough and a 18350 either. so I do welcome the 18500 compartment

Hogo are you making pocket carry holsters that would hold a 18500 light and a 95mm Victorinox?

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re Random Dan's idea. What I would like to be able to do is to buy now a complete light not at the price of head + compartment, but at the price of the complete light. with current parts the difference is as much as ~$100

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Seems like 18500 and 18350 have about the same capacity? Trying to think why one would choose 18500 over 18350, besides wanting a little extra length.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like 18500 and 18350 have about the same capacity? Trying to think why one would choose 18500 over 18350, besides wanting a little extra length.

Actually. 18500 cells can have a max capacity of 2000mAh, so it's quite a bit more than what 18350s can do. The Panasonic NCR18500A is rated at 2050mAh. The high drain 18500s are the ones that typically have lower capacities of 1100mAh. Definitely not needed for an HDS.

Edit:

Sorry. NCR18500A are rated at 2040mAh. Not sure where they got the 40mAh, but if they're getting down to that level of precision, there must be something to it.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Actually. 18500 cells can have a max capacity of 2000mAh, so it's quite a bit more than what 18350s can do. The Panasonic NCR18500A is rated at 2050mAh. The high drain 18500s are the ones that typically have lower capacities of 1100mAh. Definitely not needed for an HDS.

You are right, coffee has not kicked in yet, was thinking 18350's were 2000mah lol. They are 1200ish.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Working on my first cup as we speak!

fEsIJzT.jpg

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
PSM, 18500 would also allow for AA and 14500 cells......

Now raised or flush? I'm thinking flush, I love tail-standing..... so flush for 18500. But damn, do I want an 18350 too? Time to sell some lights...

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA batteries work in an HDS? 1.5v is still within operating range?

PSM, 18500 would also allow for AA and 14500 cells......

Now raised or flush? I'm thinking flush, I love tail-standing..... so flush for 18500. But damn, do I want an 18350 too? Time to sell some lights...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo are you making pocket carry holsters that would hold a 18500 light and a 95mm Victorinox?

I can make anything... the trick is convincing me to do so.

Re Random Dan's idea. What I would like to be able to do is to buy now a complete light not at the price of head + compartment, but at the price of the complete light. with current parts the difference is as much as ~$100

I can scrap the entire thing. Bitching about price or how it is done is a good way for Henry or me to kill the project. You should know better. I asked Henry, and he currently said "no". Doesn't mean I won't keep working on him, but if it is brought up again, my evil twin will start responding and MIGHT just lose some peoples orders.

Hogo, will HDS be stocking battery spacers for the 18500 tube, so that 18350 batteries can be used in that tube as well?

No.

AA batteries work in an HDS? 1.5v is still within operating range?

Nope. Not currently. Single AA won't drive it.

Last edited: