2020 Maglite 6D Conversion

schalliol

Newly Enlightened
There's been lots of threads over time on this unit, but I wondered if anyone has recommendations for the best you can do on lumens by converting a 6D. Does anyone have recommendations?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are hundreds of ways to mod a mag, unfortunately fivemega does not make any new parts, if i'm not mistaken, just selling what is left from good times,
i have personally moded several dozens of maglites from a shorty, to a 10k lumen hotwire, the only limit is your imagination and money\effort you willing to put into it..
there are so many threads on moded mags, prbly more than any other light in existence,

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense, I thought the OP was just asking for advice and I named someone that is way smarter than I am on the subject and a lot of his posts is just sharing his knowledge and only a little on selling his stuff. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Technically, I was just priming the pump.

325addict

Enlightened
Yes, I have some recommendations, but the problem is the availability of the parts.

In the first place: you have a SIX D! Congrats!! All you have to do to get the widely used rock solid 7.2V is to put six high quality NiMH D-cells in it instead of six Alkaleaks. That's step number one.

Step #2: replace both the reflector for a completely metal one, as well as the lens for a nice glass one. Fivemega has both parts available, cammed reflectors in smooth finish is what he has left. I can only recommend you to buy these while his stocks last, these are one of the very best available. ALL Fivemega stuff is gorgeous!

Step #3: now that wee bulb has to make place for a powerful one. If you can still get them (Tad customs used to have them, but shut down is site, and now we have to wait until he open his ebay-shop) look for a PR to G4 bi-pin adapter. If you finally managed to grab one, you only have to buy a WA1274 from Fivemega and let the fun begin!

Alternatively, Fivemega has his super bulbs. Potted / frosted Carley bulbs 7.2V / 1.9A and more nice potted bulbs, like the ROP lo and high in 7.2V. These ROP bulbs don't even require a bi-pin adapter and can be swapped the easy way. They are the same model as the original Maglite bulb.

My go-to setup for a nice bright maglite is just this! I prefer either the WA1274 or the 7.2V / 2.5A bi-pin G4 bulbs from Tad Customs. In this particular case, his PR to bi-pin adapters are better suited than those from Fivemega, because the bulbs are sitting lower, resulting in a better focus.

In any case, have a lot of fun modding your 6D, it is one of the best Mag hosts available, due to the easy way of obtaining 7.2V for the powerful bulbs. Add 6 HIGH QUALITY / high capacity NiMH D cells and half the work is done already. Due to the high current consumption of these bulbs, your batteries have to be as good as possible. I recommend Ansmann 10Ah D cells.

There's been lots of threads over time on this unit, but I wondered if anyone has recommendations for the best you can do on lumens by converting a 6D. Does anyone have recommendations?