RIP Eddie Van Halen

raggie33

*the raggedier*
He was amazing him and vernon Reid and Rick ement are my favs

Devildude

Enlightened
Countless guitars were picked trying to emulate eruption. That was one of the reasons I started playing guitar, I never got to that level but I never quit playing either. Living Color was one of my favorites and the solo from Cult of Personality ranks in the top ten for me. Rest in peace Eddie.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
What?- that's what I though when I saw this. Well so far when a RIP is posted on this forum it's authentic. Thanks for letting us all know bykfixer. Sad to hear.
RIP Eddie Van Halen

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
I remember the first time seeing Van Halen in September 1980 - Roklahoma at the University of Oklahoma - defies words. And the rest is history as the saying goes...

What an incredible talent and musical genius the world has lost - very sad indeed.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing VH in the early/mid-'70s playing at parties and local bars before they hit it big. Even back then Eddie was amazing.
RIP.

Last edited:

AFSOC

Newly Enlightened
Eddie was an amazing talent, he really changed the game. I hate being at the age where I am beginning to see icons of my childhood pass.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I saw Van Halen on their first album tour. Good gosh, that was like seeing electricity for the first time. They opened for Judas Preist. It was like "Judas who?"……

Then I saw them on the Fair Warning tour. My favorite of their albums but David was really a hack in that show. He kept yapping away drunken giberish between songs. People were booing him "sthu and play some rock n roll" was heard a lot.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know him personally, but my grandmother did, which was quite a discovery for a teenager in the 80s.
Watching a MTV special about him in my grandparents' den, guitar squealing:
-What on Earth are you watching?
-It's this thing about Eddie Van Halen, he blah, blah, blah.
-Oh, I know him.
-No, Memaw, you don't.
-Don't you tell me who I don't know! He's a friend of Clyde's, and comes by to visit whenever he's in town. Sometimes they play their guitars together.
-:duh2:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Owen, I bet your jaw dropped when she said that. I don't know much about them myself except for their songs- with one exception- I had heard that Valery cause the split between Eddie and David, but in an interview Valery set the record straight.
She said that David quit calling him Eddie and kept on referring to him as that dude on the Michael Jackson video. A person can only take so much teasing and I can't blame Eddie for getting rid of David. I think they buried the hatchet and came back together as a band a while back. I don't think David did anymore backward flips though. On one show he was spinning the mic around and busted his lip- he had to go back stage and stop the bleeding. Eddie laughed about it a little and the band done some instrumental stuff till David came back out. All this recent stuff I heard 2nd hand though through a friend.