Well it took me 2_decades to know I dont like floody flashlights

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Give me a thrower I can always sweep the area with a thrower

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, dedicated thrower versus pure flooder versus power thrower is a matter of personality. That is why I like all three.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad to have both throwers and flooders. While a thrower is useful even at short distance a small and intense hotspot is annoying and only a drawback.
Then there are lights between of course. And a flooder can get some reach due to the raw output.
But a true flooder is awesome for indoors and short distance use.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Floddy for inside / Thrower for outside.

Both have their applications. I would never EDC a very throwy light (although some throw is good and even wanted), and I would never try to light up a field with a floody light. That's the reason I love Surefires MaxVision reflectors so much for EDC. Even on a very bright light, the diffused beam does not tend to blind or irritate you indoors. The right balance of throw and flood is important on any light. Even a thrower should have some spill, and a floody light should have some spot. Just one or the other by itself is mostly useless, unless you need it for a very specific application (like a spotlight (which has no spill), or lighting equipment used in photography (which has no spot)).

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is why I EDC a heavily customized zoomie. Ultrafire U-f10, priced at $10 stock, eventually approaching $100

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I mainly use powerful flooders outside . Plenty of reach and plenty of flood. Throwers are nice but unless I'm looking for a missing person or animal I don't often need to see 500 yards away. I have don't get me wrong but very seldom.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mainly use powerful flooders outside . Plenty of reach and plenty of flood. Throwers are nice but unless I'm looking for a missing person or animal I don't often need to see 500 yards away. I have don't get me wrong but very seldom.

What is the most powerful flooder that you actually use?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
that`s why I like my FW21 Pro or my EC03, they`re a nice middle ground really, not just for throw and spill but also low lumen to super bright.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
What is the most powerful flooder that you actually use?

I typically use my wildcats. So your looking at 1000 lumens.Throw is enough for me as outside I like a lot of flood. I do back them up with a thrower as well but my wildcats see the most use.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Floddy for inside / Thrower for outside.

Both have their applications. I would never EDC a very throwy light (although some throw is good and even wanted), and I would never try to light up a field with a floody light. That's the reason I love Surefires MaxVision reflectors so much for EDC. Even on a very bright light, the diffused beam does not tend to blind or irritate you indoors. The right balance of throw and flood is important on any light. Even a thrower should have some spill, and a floody light should have some spot. Just one or the other by itself is mostly useless, unless you need it for a very specific application (like a spotlight (which has no spill), or lighting equipment used in photography (which has no spot)).

I agree. I can't handle just pure flood without at least somewhat of a hotspot but I prefer some dim, but generous spill with a hotspot. I appreciate how maglite lets me blend them together. Some unadjustable lights come with a good preset focus though.

Last edited:

TheMocoMan

Newly Enlightened
that`s why I like my FW21 Pro or my EC03, they`re a nice middle ground really, not just for throw and spill but also low lumen to super bright.

Just looked up the FW21 Pro, you know, for research purposes. WOW! I think the warning label had me laughing the most. :laughing:

"PLEASE NOTE: THIS FLASHLIGHT IS NOT A TOY, EXTREME TEMPERATURES CAN CAUSE BURNS, PLEASE EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN LENDING THIS PRODUCT OUT TO OTHER PEOPLE, OR WHEN STORING IT WITH A BATTERY" :D :D :D :D

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Living in the suburbs on a ~⅛ acre lot and not often finding myself in wide open dark outdoor spaces I just don't have a need for throw outdoors thus I prefer flood. The likes of a D4 on turbo for a few seconds will push useful light some 40 meters - even with the floody optic; otherwise it's great for the close-up tasks I need to do the overwhelming majority of the time.

Out at the folks' house in the country the D1 & D1S get to burn a few watt-hours but even then the sightlines are only about 100-200 meters and the normal haze in the air makes for a lot of beam competing with the light from the target. I suppose I could step up to something like a K1 and light up airliners on final approach to DFW overhead, but that's not really a need.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I think the warning label had me laughing the most. :laughing:

"PLEASE NOTE: THIS FLASHLIGHT IS NOT A TOY, EXTREME TEMPERATURES CAN CAUSE BURNS, PLEASE EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN LENDING THIS PRODUCT OUT TO OTHER PEOPLE, OR WHEN STORING IT WITH A BATTERY" :D :D :D :D

True, it does seem a little dramatic (to Us) but these things can be dangerous especially if a child gets hold of it, I know they can definitely burn things quite easily too, made worse by not being crenelated so you cant see if it`s on or not if it`s put face down, I think I`d only lend it out if I put it in Muggle Mode first.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looked up the FW21 Pro, you know, for research purposes. WOW! I think the warning label had me laughing the most. :laughing:

At least it doesn't say anything about causing reproductive harm in California.