FW3A glass lens broke, need a replacement?

ncvarmint2016

Enlightened
I have a copper FW3A that i cracked the glass lens on and was wondering if there are any options to fix it besides ordering a new glass lens? If not where can i get a new lens that wont take a month to get here?
thanks

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have the measurements I heard flashlight lense.com will make you one. I separated the 2 words so it wouldn't post a link.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot fix a cracked lens. I'm not too familiar with the kind of lens the FW2A takes. But if it's a regular clear, flat glass or plastic lens, you should be able to simply order a watch glass in the same diameter. There should be no difference. Just be warry of the thickness and whether or not you are buying a flat or domed glass when you order. Some watch glasses also have a beveled or "stepped" edge, so be sure you get a flat one. This has something to do with the kind of o-ring used in some watches and how the glas is fixed in the bezel or case.

Last edited:

thslw8jg

Enlightened
The fw3a glass measurement are 23 x 1.5mm. Flashlightlens dot com have several in stock that should work. Nealsgadgets offers a sapphire replacement lens that should withstand more abuse than a glass lens, but would take a couple weeks to arrive

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fw3a glass measurement are 23 x 1.5mm. Flashlightlens dot com have several in stock that should work. Nealsgadgets offers a sapphire replacement lens that should withstand more abuse than a glass lens, but would take a couple weeks to arrive

Make no mistake with that assumption. While indeed, sapphire is virtually scratch proof due to its hardness, it is actually more brittle then glass. I do not recommend sapphire lenses for flashlights, as I believe toughness of a lens to be more important than scratch resistance. A glass lens is virtually scratch proof on a flashlight already.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of cause acrylic is more tough then glass, I was simply referring to glass as being more tough when compared sapphire. There are many watches that choose acrylic instead of mineral glass or sapphire because of its shatter resistance. One such example is the omega speedmaster. For that reason, it is also used in submarine windows.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for your troubles, ncvarmint2016, but thanks for posting. I did not think my new FW3T came with a glass lens, but after reading your post, I checked again and it fell out. Must have been stuck to the optic when I first opened it.

No one has yet mentioned, so I will suggest borosilicate glass, which Corning's Pyrex is made from. It is probably the strongest glass next to Corning's Gorilla Glass. Many flashlights have lenses that are made from borosilicate glass. flashlightlens.com sells Borofloat lenses with antireflective coating, and they are made of borosilicate glass.

Last edited:

ncvarmint2016

Enlightened
Well i ordered a nee lens from neals gadgets and it shipped yesterday so i should have it in 2-4 weeks hopefully. Decided i wasn't in a big hurry anyway
thanks all

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would steer clear of any plastic/lexan lenses in the FW3A/T . . .
Please note this is an original that uses the Carclo optics with a lens cover.
Some models used a different optics where the lens is built into the optic, all one piece.

Here is a factory "Neals" window that was activated accidentally bezel down:

BurntLens800.jpg

Here's the mark left:

BurntWood800.jpg

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would steer clear of any plastic/lexan lenses in the FW3A/T . . .
Please note this is an original that uses the Carclo optics with a lens cover.
Some models used a different optics where the lens is built into the optic, all one piece.

Here is a factory "Neals" window that was activated accidentally bezel down:

And people tell me crenelated bezels are useless :shakehead

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
And people tell me crenelated bezels are useless :shakehead

That's just me, but I think something must be wrong with me because it never would occur to me to place a light that is on head down. Apparently light-on-head-down (LOHD) is pretty common activity, but for the life of me I can't fathom its purpose. :shrug:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's just me, but I think something must be wrong with me because it never would occur to me to place a light that is on head down. Apparently light-on-head-down (LOHD) is pretty common activity, but for the life of me I can't fathom its purpose. :shrug:

I think it's just that many people don't want to turn their light off because they are planning to put it aside for just a moment (and many lights cannot tail stand). Then they forget about it and this happens. More common than you might think. Especially with lights that require twist for constant activation, as those cannot be turned off with one hand, so people just leave them on.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's just that many people don't want to turn their light off because they are planning to put it aside for just a moment (and many lights cannot tail stand). Then they forget about it and this happens. More common than you might think. Especially with lights that require twist for constant activation, as those cannot be turned off with one hand, so people just leave them on.

If only there was something to help this, like maybe a lanyard... but that's just crazy talk.