Orbtronic Sub-Zero 18650 Protected Li-ion rechargeable battery cell

JimmyB

Enlightened
Anyone know about this battery? I searched without finding any info. Does it offer an advantage in very cold weather or is it just marketing talk? I'm considering it for a light I keep on a tractor which can be exposed to occasional but extended sub zero temps in the winter. I've read some of the older threads on Li-Ion cold weather battery performance but this seems new (at least to me). Thanks for any info you can provide.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use any 18650 cell in temperatures down to -20C. They'll work fine. Just don't charge them unless it's above freezing. (Or you charge reallllllllly slow.)

Sounds like mostly marketing hype. They're certainly not manufacturing their own cells. They're just re-wrapping someone else's, and adding protection.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was looking for -40 cold weather batteries, I would buy this instead of getting the Nitecore LTP offerings. This is because I have bought from Orbtronic before and benefitted from talking with them. I gave a high capacity Orbtronic 26650 battery a few years ago to PFlexPro. Randy did tests and their claims are not just marketing hype, slightly exceeding published capacity. Yes Orbtronic does not make the cells themselves, but may add protection and thoroughly test before selling. As far as the comment about "just re-wrapping someone else's", perhaps someone can tell us who actually sells us batteries that they actually make themselves.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1,, Sal has always been level and square to me as well.
Orbtronic is one of the better sources for quality flashlight cells..

Good lookin wrappers too!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was looking for -40 cold weather batteries, I would buy this instead of getting the Nitecore LTP offerings. This is because I have bought from Orbtronic before and benefitted from talking with them. I gave a high capacity Orbtronic 26650 battery a few years ago to PFlexPro. Randy did tests and their claims are not just marketing hype, slightly exceeding published capacity. Yes Orbtronic does not make the cells themselves, but may add protection and thoroughly test before selling. As far as the comment about "just re-wrapping someone else's", perhaps someone can tell us who actually sells us batteries that they actually make themselves.

I mean, as opposed to the non-rewrapped cells, such as from Samsung, Panasonic, etc. All Orbtronic is doing is taking one of those cells, and sticking their own wrap and protection circuit on it. IMO, in most cases, you're better off with the base cell (no protection circuit or re-wrap). Assuming your light takes flat-tops and you're not messing around with cells in series (and no BMS).

-40C is pushing it, for lithium-ion. Sticking a re-wrap on it won't change basic chemistry.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the cells I have gotten from Sal at Orbtronic have been quality, unprotected, un-rewrapped cells at a fair price. The only other company I'll purchase batteries from is Illumn. This criticism is not based on having done business with Orbtronic. My 40 degree comment was based on data from the Nitecore website. The critical comment about not changing basic chemistry with a re-wrap further reduces credibility of the post, accusing Orbtronic of rewrapping a standard cell then claiming it can perform at a lower temperature. This is not how Orbtronic stays in business. They run tests, then if they think it is good, they sell it. They will add protection to cells for those who want that. Criticism of protected cells is equally not pertinent to this thread. Same kind of somewhat silly gripe like people preferring KeepPower because they sold "X cell" before other vendors.

Samsung, Panasonic, Sony do not sell directly to end users like ourselves.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Samsung, Panasonic, Sony do not sell directly to end users like ourselves.

They don't sell directly to re-wrappers, either. The only ones getting approved direct sales are large tool makers, vacuum makers, EV makers, etc. Flashlight users and vapers are not approved by the major cell manufacturers.

If you want to use a re-wrap, that's fine. But you should know what's underneath, because the risk is yours. If it's a good cell, that's great. Or, you could just buy the basic cell. Sure, Samsung doesn't approve of it, but we can still get them though good vendors that buy them through aftermarket channels, just like the re-wrappers do.

The only time I would use a re-wrap is when I need a button-top added to the basic flat-top cell. Otherwise, I'm paying for a fancy label. But, that's just my preference.