Info. on old Surefire lamps

pro2

Newly Enlightened
I have accumulated some old Surefire lamps over the years, couple came from time in Army (recently retired), a couple from pawn shops ect..

The weapon light with mount came from an early deployment to Afghanistan. I thought it was cool and didn't use it because it was the only one in the arms room that had the aggressive teeth on the bezel.

Regarding the M3 lamp, I damaged the bezel shortly after I received it. I later replaced the bezel when I rediscovered the lamp in my gear multiple years later... the color doesn't match unfortunately.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those pics bring back memories of the days when Surefire was always GTG.

Thanks for sharing.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic stuff, thanks for sharing. Gonna have to get into some Incan/xenon/halogen Surefires myself someday. Sadly very difficult to find in Germany, and often too expensive to import from the US.

EDIT: You know what? Screw it. Literally just ordered a 6P off Ebay. Last one they had too. Doesn't come with a bulb but I can probably replace that. and if not, it's gonna be a nice host for a M61 in neutral :twothumbs

Anyone know the type of Xenon bulb these take? Are they still being made?

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Originally took a SF P60. 65 lumen. There still a ton of them out there but damn near everyone makes them now. Lumens factory makes some real nice ones.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I see. I actually thought one was able to replace the bulb by itself, without having to replace the entire P60 reflector assembly/drop-in. Never really gave much thought to Incan up to this point. I always thought the P60 would take a specific kind of bulb, which once burned out, could be replaced. Now I know, thank you.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it. My third Surefire was a C3 Centurion. Originally with the P60 lamp then with the P90 lamp and two RCR123s.

Of course, it's had a few different LEDs in it for quite a while now.

It's probably my second favorite light of all time, after a Milky-modded old school HDS 42GT.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious, can I run a P90/P91 in the 6P? Since the P90 is for 9 volts, and the P60 for 6, I expect the light would simply be driven at a lower voltage. Are there any detrimental effects of doing that and does it give more brightness when using a P91/P90 instead of the P60?

EDIT: Question; when using a P90/P91 in a 6P, can I run the light on 2x 16340 Li-ion batteries? The peak voltage when using two li-ions should be around 8,4 volts, and fine for driving the 9-volt assembly. Certainly better then running it off 6 Volts when using 2x CR123 or only 4,2V off a single 16650? Please correct me when I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olumin,

You can run a P90/P91 in a 6P with 2x 16340 and it will be great except for short runtimes.

You can run a P60 in a 6P with a single 16650, though it will be much dimmer than on 2x CR123 - but it will also have longer runtime! I have many hours of running a P60 on a 16650 and it has had no detrimental effects that I can tell. I tell you this because there is a theory that underdriving the P60 will blacken and dim the bulb, but I have not seen this in my personal experience. With protected 2500mAh Keeppower cells I've run up to two hours on a charge, but usually limit myself to 90 minutes. Just last night I ran the same lamp with 2x CR123 and it seemed completely unaffected by all the time I've underdriven it.

All that being said, if you're purchasing lamps, I would recommend buying Lumens Factory lamps instead of Surefire; you can get multiple lamps of different design voltages for the same price as a single Surefire P60 or P90.

I have no experience with underdriving a P90.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much. I can't get those LF drop-ins easily here in Europe. Do you know if LF Ships internationally and what the shipping rates are? For me it might actually be cheaper to just get a P61, considering Id pay at least 15 to 20 bucks in shipping, which would more than double the price for the LF.

Underdriving a P61, considering its normally 120LM, with a single 16650, should give some decent output at least comparable to a P60 driven at 6V should it not?

Last edited:

pro2

Newly Enlightened
Can any provide any insight on what I have here (vintage, models, anything special or rare)... or point me in the direction where I can find out myself. It seems the topic has gone off the rails. Thank you.

I am not soliciting sales offers, just info.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast

archimedes

Flashaholic
I am curious, can I run a P90/P91 in the 6P? Since the P90 is for 9 volts, and the P60 for 6, I expect the light would simply be driven at a lower voltage. Are there any detrimental effects of doing that and does it give more brightness when using a P91/P90 instead of the P60? ....

The answers to your simple and fairly straightforward question can be somewhat more complex than might be supposed at first, particular with regards to incandescent lamps, as these are generally not regulated in a manner similar to most LED emitters.

I suggest a detailed read of the CPF primer for these concepts, located here ....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=161536

Can any provide any insight on what I have here (vintage, models, anything special or rare)... or point me in the direction where I can find out myself. It seems the topic has gone off the rails. Thank you....

Yes, you have several vintage models pictured, one is uncommon (the TurboHead) , and another is rather rare and collectible (the 6) .

Other SureFire experts will be by shortly to discuss with you further, I'd expect.

As you note, this portion of our forum is for discussion. No sales talk, no price-fishing, no specifics on valuation or appraisal please.

Thanks, and welcome :)

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for that. It pretty much confirms what I thought. However, I would still like to know how bright a P61 would be when running it on a single 3,7V 16650. Since some users in this forum have had no problems underdriving their 6V assemblies, I would like to know what I can expect to get out of such a setup. 60 - 80Lm? Comparable to a P60 running on 2x CR123s?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thank you very much for that. It pretty much confirms what I thought. However, I would still like to know how bright a P61 would be when running it on a single 3,7V 16650. Since some users in this forum have had no problems underdriving their 6V assemblies, I would like to know what I can expect to get out of such a setup. 60 - 80Lm? Comparable to a P60 running on 2x CR123s?

Since OP has already asked to move on from this tangent, it would be courteous to find one of the many threads dealing directly with that, to ask your question.

Two such links have been provided above ;)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can any provide any insight on what I have here (vintage, models, anything special or rare)... or point me in the direction where I can find out myself. It seems the topic has gone off the rails. Thank you.

I am not soliciting sales offers, just info.

Thank you.

Can someone please name that long black piece with the funky head next to the black 6P? I've never seen it before. Is that an old M3?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
More knowledgeable folks will chime in but I think it's a P12 or 12 something with a turbo head incandescent.

Z12 maybe?