Best hig-current NiMH AA in 2020?

325addict

Enlightened
I was just wondering what happened with my 2D Mag setup with WA1274 bulb (draws 2.77 Amps) and 6AA to 2D adapter as a power source. It dimmed quite fast (much faster than would be expected from 2450mAh and 2.77 Amps current draw) so I guess the Ikea Ladda / Eneloop Pro batteries are not the best ones for these large discharge currents. Who knows the BEST NiMH AA cells for high discharge currents? The Elite cells can be ruled out I'm afraid, these are FLAT-TOP cells which are not compatible with my 6AA - 2D adapter. Also, these cells are not available in Europe as it seems...

fmc1

Enlightened
I was just wondering what happened with my 2D Mag setup with WA1274 bulb (draws 2.77 Amps) and 6AA to 2D adapter as a power source. It dimmed quite fast (much faster than would be expected from 2450mAh and 2.77 Amps current draw) so I guess the Ikea Ladda / Eneloop Pro batteries are not the best ones for these large discharge currents. Who knows the BEST NiMH AA cells for high discharge currents? The Elite cells can be ruled out I'm afraid, these are FLAT-TOP cells which are not compatible with my 6AA - 2D adapter. Also, these cells are not available in Europe as it seems...

If the bulb can handle the voltage of 6D's then it can handle two 26650's, 9V verses 8.4V at full charge.

Therefore you could use two 26650's with a PVC sleeve and a shorty spring. I have a few 2D mags with 6D bulbs with that setup. The only drawback is you need to remove the anodizing on the inside of the tail cap for the shorty spring to make contact. You can still return it to stock but someone can still tell it was modified at some point in time. Sorry if I missed something.

Frank

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I I guess the Ikea Ladda / Eneloop Pro batteries are not the best ones for these large discharge currents.

Eneloop Pro seem to be far more fragile than standard Eneloop, and if the cells aren't new, have ever been over discharged, dropped on a hard surface, or missed termination when charging, you'll get more resistance, less amps, and have less capacity. The only AA cells I know of that take as much amps as Eneloop are L91 Energizers, and I think Eneloop beat them with more consistent output at 3A. I would hesitate to condemn all Eneloop because the cells you have are beat. Pick up an 8-pack of new Eneloop and give them another try with new cells before dismissing all because of your Ladda 2450... have to know their history. Now if they're brand spankin new or been babied and have low cycles, then maybe you're on to something. Just seems a little suspicious when HKJ's testing review shows Ladda 2450 riding 1.2V @3A for at least an Ah.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to get 5 amps from Eneloops or Eneloop Pros. You will get some voltage sag, though. Around 1.1v per cell at high amps. I don't think you'll beat that with NiMH chemistry.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I just opened a pack of the AAA versions of these from 2002, they were still reading 1.3v! 18 years they`ve sat there and they`re still good to go!
And the 2 packs of the AA batts I opened were from 2015 and again, still good to go :)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just opened a pack of the AAA versions of these from 2002, they were still reading 1.3v! 18 years they`ve sat there and they`re still good to go!
And the 2 packs of the AA batts I opened were from 2015 and again, still good to go :)

And here I was impressed I just opened a quad of Eneloop AAA that were 4 years old with a 1.32V charge. 18 years holding that charge is is amazing. I am reconsidering the purchase of 10yo Limited Edition Eneloop AA.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
2.7A is totally doable for eneloops, otherwise for 10-20a draw you want ELITE brand, afaik they are the only nimh cells capable of that much amps

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
And here I was impressed I just opened a quad of Eneloop AAA that were 4 years old with a 1.32V charge. 18 years holding that charge is is amazing. I am reconsidering the purchase of 10yo Limited Edition Eneloop AA.

To be honest, I can`t think of a better way to know if they`re genuine or not, though I`m sure he was trying to pass them off thinking they were out of date, but a mere girl would never notice! LOL