protected 18650 cells, are they all the same?

raysmd

Newly Enlightened
I know unprotected 18650 are cheaper and many would get the Samsungs or Sanyos

but, what about the protected cells, ie, protected Sanyo from orbtronics vs keep power vs lion wholesale or imrbatteries?

would you think that they all use the similar protection ICs?

reason I ask is, the keep power Sanyo GA 18650 are $11 vs a smilier Sanyo GA protected cell at lionwholesale is $6.99

nitebrite

Enlightened
Keep Power is generally a top of the line cell. You may not need one that good. I think Samsung, Sony, Panasonic are good brands. Not sure on Sanyo but probably fine if legit. In America the PCB is all the same on all of them. You just need to watch how many amps drain you need. The Sanyo may be cheap because it is low drain thus useless. Check the specs. Should be at least 8 Amps. Unless your device calls for more. I think Lion is Chinese. I would rather buy USA.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The reputable OEMs - LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Sanyo, Molicel - all make bare li-ion cells as industrial commodities. Protected cells are made by third parties whom buy cells from OEMs, weld on protection circuits, then wrap them. The cell OEMs do not endorse this practice thus do not make such cells themselves.

The better brands of protected cells use 18650s from one of the reputable OEMs; some use other cells - often of dubious quality and capabilities.

The need for protected cells is not what it once was. Chargers with proper li-ion charging protocols are commonplace, thus there's no need for a protected cell to perform critical charge termination. We've also seen many years of lights designed around li-ion voltage ranges, thus there's less of a need for low voltage protection since we're not shoehorning an 18650 into a 2x 123A design that just happens to accept ~3.6V nominal.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know unprotected 18650 are cheaper and many would get the Samsungs or Sanyos

but, what about the protected cells, ie, protected Sanyo from orbtronics vs keep power vs lion wholesale or imrbatteries?

would you think that they all use the similar protection ICs?

reason I ask is, the keep power Sanyo GA 18650 are $11 vs a smilier Sanyo GA protected cell at lionwholesale is $6.99

Your first post in fifteen years: Welcome back to CPF!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, stick with OEM cells, such as Panasonic, Sanyo, etc. Unless you need a button-top or protection for some reason, you're only wasting money buying Keeppower, etc.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Maybe helpful I don`t know?, but if you`re handy with a soldering iron (100-150W gun type idealy) you can buy your own top quality cells and add your own protection circuit, I`v done Dozens this way and it`s really easy!
That way at least, you`ll know exactly what you`re getting. ;)

raysmd

Newly Enlightened
Your first post in fifteen years: Welcome back to CPF!

lolol, thanks!

Maybe helpful I don`t know?, but if you`re handy with a soldering iron (100-150W gun type idealy) you can buy your own top quality cells and add your own protection circuit, I`v done Dozens this way and it`s really easy!
That way at least, you`ll know exactly what you`re getting. ;)

I've been around for 15 yrs, as the above poster stated. yes, I do have a soldering iron and can use it, lol. Where do I buy the protection circuits? are seiko's the ones to buy?

thx