Jetbeam RRT01 raptor (2020) ring power drain?

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

A quick question regarding my RRT01 raptor light (with the warm tint led). Hoping someone that may have had a technical look at the light could answer the following...

For bag storage and to fully switch off the light, of course use the tail switch/button.

However, does anyone know me what, if any power drain there will be when the rear switch is set to on, and the control ring is set to it's lowest point, I.e when it will turn not more.

Is there still a power drain in this state? If so is it anything other than a trivial parasitic drain or is it still delivering power to the led until the rear switch is set to off? The LED appears to be fully off and there is a subtle detent when the ring is moved to the full "off" position.

Many thanks in advance all.
Richard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
I have a 10 yr old RRT01.

It does not drain the battery with the tailswitch on, and the rotary ring 'off'.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found mine in a drawer with a dead battery, I suspect it was on at the tail & off at the rotary when put away

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

Might look into a way to test this conclusively. If I do I'll report back.

Richard.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually lights with magnetic ring interfaces (without a additional switch) have some drain when not locked out.
In some lights this drain is so small that even after a year your battery remains almost fully charged, on others it will discharge your battery in a matter of weeks to months. I believe the drain on the RRT01 should be minimal. I own this light and there were several months in which I did not use it. It was not locked out and I noticed no difference in runtime with a Keepower 18350 1200mAh. I however have the version without rear switch. Perhabs this is still usefull.

I would always lock such lights out when you are not using them for a while. Unfortunately the RRT01 cannot be locked out.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
word on the street is
the 2012 RRT-01 has a drain of 55uA (selbuilt)
the 2019 RRT-01 has a drain of 27uA (djozz)

the 2020 switched on, dial at minimum (depending who you ask) has a drain of:

contactcr wrote:
2020: 3mA (assuming I am doing this correctly, dont take my word for it)

Unheard wrote:
12mA

====
so, lets say you have a 1200mAh 18350 in a 2020 RRT-01, and it is switched on, dial at minimum

how long would the light need to sit unused, to drain the cell?
if the drain is 3mA, then, 17 days

if the drain is 12mA, then 4 days..

==

if it was my light, I would read battery voltage when I go to bed, and again the next day, and note the number of hours elapsed. It should show a voltage change, from which to deduce how long the light can sit in standby mode (switch ON, dial at minimum)

===
I found mine in a drawer with a dead battery, I suspect it was on at the tail & off at the rotary when put away

I wonder how long it sat in the drawer? Was the battery full when you put it away?

Last edited:

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
word on the street is
the 2012 RRT-01 has a drain of 55uA (selbuilt)
the 2019 RRT-01 has a drain of 27uA (djozz)

the 2020 switched on, dial at minimum (depending who you ask) has a drain of:

contactcr wrote:
2020: 3mA (assuming I am doing this correctly, dont take my word for it)

Unheard wrote:
12mA

====
so, lets say you have a 1200mAh 18350 in a 2020 RRT-01, and it is switched on, dial at minimum

how long would the light need to sit unused, to drain the cell?
if the drain is 3mA, then, 17 days

if the drain is 12mA, then 4 days..

==

if it was my light, I would read battery voltage when I go to bed, and again the next day, and note the number of hours elapsed. It should show a voltage change, from which to deduce how long the light can sit in standby mode (switch ON, dial at minimum)

===

I wonder how long it sat in the drawer? Was the battery full when you put it away?

It was full. More than a couple days, less than a a couple months. (Very precise, I know)

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.
For what it's worth, here is the multimeter reading (cheap multimeter to be fair).

Ring was set to fully "off" or minimum if you prefer.

RRT01_Raptor_Multimeter_RingToOff.jpeg

Now please do correct me if I am wrong, just playing around here so to speak and I am no reviewer; but would the theoretical drain time with the 3500mAh there be 48 days? Assuming the 0.03 is in amps so 3ma?

I was getting about the same reading on the 2012 model as well which is at odds with the selfbuilt number listed above and I would trust his measurements more than mine! Happy to be schooled on what to do to correctly measure it and interpret the results.

Last edited:

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
No worries! :)

My concern is mainly that people more educated on the matter (selfbuilt's results for example) received what appears to be a vastly different result from me for the 2012 model. I suspect (hope) I am doing something wrong on a relatively simple level. I am no electrical engineer that's for sure.

Would love some enlightenment! I do hope it wouldn't drain an entire 3500 battery in "just" 40 odd days because the tail wasn't locked out.

Rich.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
3500 battery
3500mAh divide by 28mA would give 5 days, speculation runs rampant... need more decimal schooling :)

further reading
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...123A-RCR)-Head-to-head-Comparison-Mini-Review

"For the 2012 RRT-01, the standby current fluctuated between ~50-65uA on CR123A (~55uA average). It was a little lower on 1xRCR, at ~30uA. For a typical 1400mAh CR123A and 750mAh RCR, this would translate into ~2.9 years before a fresh cell would be fully discharged, in both cases."

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
So yes 0.028A is 28 ma which would be (3500/28)/24 = 5.2 days (approx) yes?

I have had the tail switch on but ring off for well over 5 days now and the battery still has a tonne of juice left.

I wonder if passing the negative to body threads is different to it passing through the led circuit itself [emoji848][emoji848]

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Take a close look at the meter and the dial. The dial is not set to the 2 amp range, but to the 2 milliamp range (2 thousandths of an amp, or 0.002 amps). A measurement of 2 milliamps would appear on the meter as 2.000. But the meter is displaying 0.028, which is less than 2 milliamps. The actual measurement is 28 micro amps, or 28 millionths of amp (0.000028 amps). Use that number for your calculations.

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Dr strange.

I was under the (simplistic & multimeter noob) impression the dial moved the decimal point over simply to offer a more accurate reading of smaller values where a 1 before the decimal was consistently 1 amp and the dial allowed for more fractional numbers to be displayed.

I believe I see how the display is showing the results now, I hope. For example a reading of 10.0 on the 20m setting would be 10 mA? Whereas a reading of 5.0 on the 10a setting would be 5 full amps?

[emoji1786]

So this drain on the 3500 battery would take a (theoretical) 14 years or so is what I am calculating now.... [emoji848]

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Yes, Richard, you're correct about how to read the meter. I'm not familiar with battery drain calculations so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

toadgravy

Newly Enlightened
I just got a rrt01 2020 a couple of weeks ago. I love it. As expected with the 18500 tube this is almost the perfect professional light for me.

I am curious about your question as well. So I just 5 minutes ago placed a fully charged 18350 battery into the light. My charger indicated 4.20V. The ring was turned fully to low and the switch was clicked. I will update the battery voltage in a few days...

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
I just got a rrt01 2020 a couple of weeks ago. I love it. As expected with the 18500 tube this is almost the perfect professional light for me.

I am curious about your question as well. So I just 5 minutes ago placed a fully charged 18350 battery into the light. My charger indicated 4.20V. The ring was turned fully to low and the switch was clicked. I will update the battery voltage in a few days...

[emoji1303]

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im looking forward to your results
have you determined how much voltage change there has been so far?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited: