Rechargeable batteries for an elderly Mag-Lite.

BML

Newly Enlightened
I have just come across a Mag-Lite that belonged to m y Paramedic son and I assume that he is now using more modern LED equipment but I rather like the device and I would like to use it when I go out in the evening inthe village where I live in Oxfordshire England which is not very well lit. So, three questions,
One, "How long would normal batteries last in this device?"
Two, "Is it worth considering rechargable batteries?"
Three, "What named rechargable bateries are worth considering?"

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long it will run depends on what batteries you are using and how many the light takes along with what kind of bulb it has in it.

Probably the simplest way to go rechargeable is tho use AA Eneloops (or similar low self discharge NiMH AA batteries) in AA to D or C cell adapters (assuming that you have a D or C cell Mag?).

Good brands are Fujitsu (actual maker of Eneloops in Japan), Eneloops (get the Japanese made ones, Eneloop has started making some in China, which are not as good) or Ikea Laddas (again, get the Japanese ones). Always buy from a reputable source as there are a lot of fake Eneloops in the wild.

For a good basic smart charger, the Panasonic BQ CC17 charger is a good choice.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should go rechargeable, if only for the fact that regular alkaline batteries will probably leak (that's probably not possibly) especially if you don't use the light too often. The leaking fluid will damage and even destroy the inside of your light.
Instances of rechrgeable cells leaking are few and far between.
You can get D and C sized rechargeables, but they are very expensive and of low capacity in my experience. The Eneloop method above is your best bet.
Check out buyabattery.co.uk for rechargeables. I've bought from them before and they've proved to be reliable.
P

Latest posts