Hi / Low Tailcap for surefire 9P ??

andyprice44

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

I have a circa 2002 surefire 9P that I will be running a malkoff M91 in. I currently have the surefire clicky tailcap installed. I would like to find a Hi/Low tailcap that's compatible with the surefire body and the Malkoff dropin. Is anyone aware of a tailcap that will work for this application?

Thanks in advance

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Agree with all that. Them things were as rare as an hens teeth and if you do find one it will run you more then the cost of your whole light. Might want to save the 9P for something else and grab a MD3 with hi/lo ring. More battery options as well.

andyprice44

Newly Enlightened
That's what I was afraid of. I read through some other post where guys were using an elzetta tail cap. Some say it worked and others say it didn't work.

I haven't been using this 9P for many years and I'm just excited to have it back in action again. I remember when I bought it almost 20 years ago and 100 lumens for 45 minutes was a big deal. Man, we have come a long way. I bought a Malkoff M91BN from a member here. It was one left over from the most recent group buy. I didn't feel right about putting a cool white emitter in a vintage light. Wanted to go warm or neutral and I think the M91 paired with 2 17500 cells will be nice.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interested. Would love something like this for either my C3HA or 9P if we find a solution.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if guts of surefire edcl-t series 2-stage tail could be harvested and installed into 6p tail?

I am still very happy to use guts from e-series miser tailcap in my 6p lights

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had tried a Kroma tailcap on a P-series Surefire. It does have the high/low but I found it didn't have a good step-down to low, they looked pretty much the same.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I had tried a Kroma tailcap on a P-series Surefire. It does have the high/low but I found it didn't have a good step-down to low, they looked pretty much the same.
A 10-ohm resistor is in the Kroma tailcap, I'm guessing (i.e. the same resistor as is in SF's other resistored tailcaps).
To get a good step-down with more modern configurations, 120 ohm (or even 250) is far more appropriate - I think I have a 120 in my McC2s.