Maglite 1.5 lithium battery. UK

BML

Newly Enlightened
I have found an elderly Maglite in a cupboard that has not been used in years and as the street lights in our village are not reliable I thought I would bring the torch out of retirement so I keyed, "1.5 lithium batteries required for a Mag-Lite into the Internet with absolute no response other than a mass of irrelevant advertisements.
Could anyone please suggest where I could find such batteries in the UK? Many thanks.

Kauto

Newly Enlightened
Hello, if it's D Cells you're referring to, you can find them on eBay, Amazon and a host of other places as well as physical stores all across the UK.

BML

Newly Enlightened
Hello, if it's D Cells you're referring to, you can find them on eBay, Amazon and a host of other places as well as physical stores all across the UK.

I keyed "Maglite 1.5 lithium battery. UK" and got nowhere.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
1.5 Volt maybe?
what`s inside diameter of the torch body? we can work out what battery type it takes from that ;)
actually while you`re at it measure the depth of the battery compartment too, we can work out how many it takes as well.

BML

Newly Enlightened
1.5 Volt maybe?
what`s inside diameter of the torch body? we can work out what battery type it takes from that ;)
actually while you`re at it measure the depth of the battery compartment too, we can work out how many it takes as well.

140mm X 35mm Many thanks.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
yup, that`s a 2D mag, you can use Any pair of D cells in this, available at most shops that sell batteries, and the bulbs (2.4v PR) can be bought on eBay quite readily too (there may even be one in the spring in the tailcap!).

BML

Newly Enlightened
yup, that`s a 2D mag, you can use Any pair of D cells in this, available at most shops that sell batteries, and the bulbs (2.4v PR) can be bought on eBay quite readily too (there may even be one in the spring in the tailcap!).

Many thanks for that now one last question. I read that Lithium are better than Alkaline batteries for a number of reasons does that make sense?[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Sure, alkaleaks aren`t the best, I`v not personally seen any Lithium cells above AA in size, but you Can get adaptors that take 3x AA batts to make 1 D cell and those are a Really good choice (but expensive to load up). you could also get some High Quality NiMH batteries in D size, or again, buy 6 Eneloop AA bats and fill 2 of the D adaptors (this would be my choice).

if you do go the D adaptor route, make sure get the parallel wired ones ;)

BML

Newly Enlightened
Sure, alkaleaks aren`t the best, I`v not personally seen any Lithium cells above AA in size, but you Can get adaptors that take 3x AA batts to make 1 D cell and those are a Really good choice (but expensive to load up). you could also get some High Quality NiMH batteries in D size, or again, buy 6 Eneloop AA bats and fill 2 of the D adaptors (this would be my choice).

if you do go the D adaptor route, make sure get the parallel wired ones ;)

Many thanks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would suggest thinking about this first:
1)How often and how long (hours of use per week/day etc) are you going to be using this light
2)Is this light an incan (has a bulb with filament) based light?
3)could a brighter and smaller light appeal to you?

With this in mind I would suggest considering investing in a AA based LED light and with that you can use
alkaleaks (not recommended), lithium primaries (Energizer L91) or LSD nimh (eneloops).
You would have a better brighter beam with longer runtime off smaller and cheaper cells and more choices.
IMO stock 2D incan mags are for serious light users these days are door stops. Without modding them a cheap 1AA LED light can often outperform it in output and useful runtime.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You could also use D to AA adapters. You just put a single AA lithium in them and the adapter takes up the space of the D cell. Now your runtime won't be anywhere near as long but you won't have to worry about batteries leaking and it makes the light a lot lighter.