ArmyTek        

Thread: Please help me cut through the noise

Sick2 Please help me cut through the noise

I'm going crazy trying to find the best 18650 for the Zebralight headlamp I am buying.
    I'm considering a good Nitecore charger, but I think I need a protected button top 18650 with best capacity and such.
    Can someone help me out with a model, brand, and source for batteries and a charger? I am looking to move over to rechargeable going forward and this research isn't fun, it's really annoying.

Appreciated!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Please help me cut through the noise

What headlamp are you getting? If it was me for a headlamp Iíd just get whatever has the highest Mah rating that will fit in my lamp. mah is your runtime.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Zebralight sells appropriate batteries for their lights. Likely the Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A 18650 Li-ion Flat Top

Pretty sure this one said button top, and while I don't mind buying quality it seems their branded batteries are 3x the cost
    Zebralight H600c Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 4000K

I have bought cells from these guys several times. Good seller. Good cells.

https://www.18650batterystore.com/18...ries-s/106.htm
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Franquixote View Post
    Pretty sure this one said button top, and while I don't mind buying quality it seems their branded batteries are 3x the cost
    Zebralight H600c Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 4000K
    Zebralight recommends and sells the Sanyo GA for your headlamp, for $6. You don't need a button top, and you don't need a protected battery.

If a protected button top will fit, I would use it. 18650 cells are not to be toyed with... anything you can do to make them safer is a good thing.

Flashaholic*

Depending on which side of the map you're located, Illumination Supply in San Jose, CA are distributors for Keepower (protected button top) and offer great prices for Sanyo and others

Keeppower 3500mAh for protected 18650s is the way to go. They are button top. Keeppower also sells unprotected IMR18650 flat tops, but for unprotected cells there are cheaper, equally good options.

I have been using a simple Xtar VC2 for years now and it always been working fine. Itís not the fastest charger but itís cheap, reliable and safe.

Flashaholic*

The ZL headlight the OP is interested in already has built in battery protections. A protected battery is unnecessary, and many of them (like the Keeppower) exceed the 69.0mm length limit that ZL specifies.

Built in battery protections with continuously monitored temperature, current, and voltage, plus a (2.7V) low voltage cutoff
    http://www.zebralight.com/H600c-Mk-I...amp_p_235.html

SubLGT is Correct !

ZebraLights which use 18650 cells
    do NOT want protected cells, due to excessive length
    caused by the added protection circuit.

Their lights already have the
    necessary protections Built In to the lights.

Sanyo GA is an excellent choice !

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    SubLGT is Correct !

ZebraLights which use 18650 cells
    do NOT want protected cells, due to excessive length
    caused by the added protection circuit.

Their lights already have the
    necessary protections Built In to the lights.

Sanyo GA is an excellent choice !
    +1. And a +1 on the 18650batterystore.com
    ​"What do you carry a flashlight for?!"

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    If a protected button top will fit, I would use it. 18650 cells are not to be toyed with... anything you can do to make them safer is a good thing.
    Exactly. If you ignore advice to use unprotected flat top cell you will crash the protection circuit, cause the short one and... you know the consequences.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Renegadethreads View Post
    Zebralight sells appropriate batteries for their lights. Likely the Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A 18650 Li-ion Flat Top
    I use those in the H600Fc. They're rated for 10 amp max discharge. On max output, the H600Fc will suck between 6-8 amps out of the battery. (Drain goes up as they discharge, due to the regulated boost driver.)

However, I don't use the light on full output very much. If I did, I'd go with Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6. They're 15 amp cells, which gives better performance with less heat at high discharge.

FYI, at least _some_ zebralight models are length-approved for protected cells.

Flashaholic*

FYI, at least _some_ zebralight models are length-approved for protected cells.
    Yes, but they're completely unnecessary in a Zebralight, since it already has protection built into the light.

Especially if your strapping it to your head!
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Depending on the use I tend to use Molicel P26A batts in my lights that like to draw a bit of current, but I may use a Soshine 3400mah cell in my radio that hardly uses any power, so in this case the extra mah is good for runtime.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Especially if your strapping it to your head!
    Just be aware that protection circuits on batteries are there to protect the battery, not you. For example, if the wrap gets torn, you have a positive strip shorting directly against the negative can, and the protection circuit can't protect that from going boom.

Protected batteries are a good idea in multi-cell lights (and even some cheap single-cell lights), since you otherwise run the risk of draining a cell too low which can be a safety concern. But you don't run that risk in a zebralight.

IMO, I'd rather have a quality unprotected genuine cell strapped to my head, than a protected cell which you don't really know what condition the inner wrap is in. That strip, separated from a short by about 0.01mm, makes me nervous in high-powered batteries.

So the consensus is to buy the battery that the manufacturer sells, despite it being the most expensive oprion with the least storage and power?
    On the side note, anyone think I should wait for some kind of sale like black Friday, haven't seen these go on sale on the 3 months I h been scoping them out...

I am buying my first 18650 light a ZL fd. and plan to use both assuming protected ones i bought for an also new Fenix26 fit. Am glad I saw this thread because I would not have caught ZLís are a bit protected

Flashaholic*

So the consensus is to buy the battery that the manufacturer sells, despite it being the most expensive oprion with the least storage and power?
    Consensus? No. Kinda dumb, IMO. But if you want to go that route, go for it. I suppose the upside is that you won't have to place two separate orders.

On the side note, anyone think I should wait for some kind of sale like black Friday, haven't seen these go on sale on the 3 months I h been scoping them out...
    I'm just wondering where you're finding high quality 18650 batteries for less than $6?

Here are the different places I look for quality 18650 batteries.
    https://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...e=292&limit=60

https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/18650

https://www.imrbatteries.com/18650-batteries/

https://www.onlybatteries.com/18650-...2-163-1107.asp

https://www.18650batterystore.com/Bu...ries-s/151.htm

https://www.nealsgadgets.com/collections/batteries

Hopefully you can find a cheaper battery at one of those sites.

You need the Sanyo 18650ga raw cell that has an orange wrapper and a price of $6. Not the protected version that has a light green wrapper and a price of $18. I donít worry with protected cells for single cell lights. Just make sure to buy genuine high quality cells from a reputable dealer like Zebralight. I have a ton of the GA sells and they have all been great with zero problems.