• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Malkoff Devices RED, AMBER, or GREEN M61 LL Dropin Group Buy!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
$ PMs sent!! Malkoff Devices RED M61 Dropin Group Buy!

PHASE 2- PAYMENT PMS ARE ALL SENT. PAYMENTS DUE BY JULY 30 2021 BY 2359 HOURS. LEDs on their way to Gene! (07/21/21)

PHASE 2- waiting for LEDs. Payment PMs to come by weeks-end. (Payment deadline will update accordingly to suit present signees)

We now have a 90lm "V1" ~and~ a 15lm "V2" dropin being produced. FINAL SIGN UPS BELOW. Priority to current signees.

DROPIN PRICE ESTIMATE $55 BEFORE SHIPPING

(07/14/21)

PMs sent to confirm spots with all current buyers. LEDs ordered.
SST-20-DR-B120-V660

Hello! Here is the Group Buy for the M61 dropins for RED,
AMBER, and/or GREEN.

The Group Buy for the M61 Red 660nm SST-20-DR-B120-V660 (Photo red) is ready to rock. Signups are until July 9th (week after the 4th).

There is a minimum order quantity of 20 units, CONUS shipping only, further upon special arrangement. Prepay price is approximately $55 (This is a ROUGH cost of the drop-in from Gene and the cost of the LED), plus shipping to be calculated later (assume $8.30~ for Priority Flat Rate). Final price to be calculated upon ordering of LEDs.

Determination of the LED:

The exact model of the LED is the SST-20 bin
DR-B120-V660, output estimates to be targeted around 90 lumens for the "v1" and 15 lumens for the "v2."

Phase 1 until July 9th!

If this sounds interesting, read on…

All communication should take place in the comments for transparency. I won't respond to PMs regarding this GB unless otherwise arranged. The exception is for non CONUS or international shipping inquiries.

Phase 1 –Sign-Up:

- Indicate your willingness to participate in the group buy by posting the following in the comments: "I'm in for QTY x"
- Posting that you want to participate is a firm commitment to buy. Others are depending on you! Don't indicate that you're going to participate if you're "just thinking about it." Think about it first, then decide, then sign-up.
- Sign-up will last through 2359 hours on July 9th, 2021.
- If we don't get to 18, then we will shut down.

18 sign ups is the minimum and I will do my best to include everyone who signs up prior to July 9th.

Phase 2 – Pre-Pay:

- If we get at least 20 buyers, you send PAYMENT to me via PayPal Goods and Services. This breaks down to PAYMENT for dropin and LED, plus PP feested price.
- PP G&S protects you through Purchase Protection, so no gnashing of teeth over the small extra amount.
- Exact details on the information to send with your PP will be provided later!
- Pre-pay will last through 2359 hours on July 30th, 2021.
- If some buyers don't pay by the Phase 2 deadline, I will possibly (a) kick in the difference or (b) shut down the GB and refund your money via PP by August 7th, 2021.
- Once you pay, you're locked in until (a) you receive your head (b) the GB shuts down or (c) you trade your spot.

Phase 3 – LED ordering/Manufacturing:

- Once I have the LED's in hand the order will be placed with Gene
- I will post an update once the LED's have been ordered and have shipping confirmation.
- We wait ? During this time, I will check in with Gene weekly and post updates in the comments.
- This phase ends when Gene ships the drop-ins to me.

Phase 4 – Shipping to you:

- This phase starts when I receive the package from Gene.
- Assuming we make it this far, you will have 2 weeks to pay exact shipping costs, via Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box, PLUS an equal share of the bulk shipping cost of all the drop-ins from Gene to me. I will calculate the individual shipping costs later, and post details on how to pay. The USPS website says a small flat rate box is $8.30 CONUS. Add to this your share of bulk shipping from Gene to me. You will pay this via PayPal.
- I will PM you the tracking number after I ship. Shipping is CONUS only.
- I will provide an option for insurance, if you want to pay extra for this.
- Not really sure what to do if you pay for the drop-in, but don't follow up with the shipping cost. I guess I will hang onto it for another 30 days before I can dispose of it as I wish. Doubt we will have this problem.
- Once I ship to you and provide a tracking number, I'm out of the loop. I'm not responsible for lost or delayed items once USPS is in possession of your drop-in. If you're worried about this, I will provide an option for USPS insurance.

FAQs:

(1) What is a Malkoff M61 Red? What exactly am I purchasing?

SST-20-DR-B120-V660

This is the Malkoff Devices P60 style Drop-in LED Upgrade Conversion with solid brass heatsink construction. This is a RED LED dropin, with a projected wavelength output of 660nm. The LED is TBD. It will be a 3535, 660nm LED. Likely contender ATM is the SST-20 deep red.

From the Malkoff Web-site.

This design utilizes a custom orange peel reflector designed by Don McLeish. The reflector offers a very nice balance between throw and spill. It is an outstanding room lighter and short to medium spotter. It was designed specifically for use in Malkoff MD2, Elzetta ZFL-M60, and SureFire 6P, 9P, 6Z, Z2, Z3, C2, C3, M2, G3, and G2 flashlights. It may or may not fit other models. The input voltage is 3.4 - 9 volts. Below 3.4 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. This dropin is protected against reverse polarity.

This Malkoff Upgrade is designed for rugged service from the ground up. It is fully potted to stand up to rough service and recoil. This item is covered by Our Lifetime Warranty

This GB is for the Drop In only.

(2) Can I change my mind and back out?

During Phase 1, yes.

After you pay in Phase 2, no. You're locked in, unless we shut down.

(3) Can I trade my spot?

During Phase 1, no need. Just post that you want to be removed from the list.

If/when we go into Phase 2 and beyond, it depends. If you haven't paid, post that you want out. If we have anyone in spots 26 and up, they will have the option to buy in your place, in ascending order. If you've already paid me, then the person (in spot 26 and up) taking your place will pay you directly, per your private arrangements. If this happens, both people will need to post publicly in the comments that they've worked it out satisfactorily and that Person B is taking Person A's spot. Again, if you've already paid, your only way out is to get someone from the backup list to pay you for your spot.

(3) What tint and emitter?

SST-20 660nm Deep Red-DR-B120-V660

(4) Minimum order quantity?

18 signups. If we don't get 18 to sign up or pay, the GB will shut down.

If we get more than 18, I will do my best to include the additional spots in the order. So if you want one, sign up now!

(5) How long will it take?

According to Gene, depending on production time, somewhere around 4 weeks after Gene has received the LED's. Not 4weeks from when you pay.

(6) How much profit are you making on this group buy?

I will be asking $2 over total costs per dropin. This ultimately covers packaging supplies and un-calculated costs, as this is a very imperfect process. I can't eat costs any more on group buys. I will look to formalize this process in the future.

(7) What if I'm dissatisfied with the final product?

You would contact Gene, not me. Once I ship you the drop-in, I'm out of the loop (make sure you understand the shipping terms).

Thanks to the following CPF'ers.
lion504: for letting me use his GB format.
GreatScoot: for letting me basically copy his M91BN group-buy!

-Special thanks to Gene for putting up with us crazy CPF'ers and indulging our whims.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
M61 v1 ~90lm RED 660nm

1. Andy F (LL) PAID
  2. Greatscoot (L/LL) PAID
  3. RedLED
  4. Flashlight Nut PAID
  5. siklops
  6. id30209 (full output) PAID
  7. marco.weiss PAID
  8. neutralwhite (full output) PAID
  9. Russ/TN PAID
  10. wayben PAID
  11. Astroturf PAID
  12. HRace (?)
  13. Renegade Threads PAID
  14. BigusLightus
  15. Paperknife (?)
  16. double R76 PAID
  17. Adamlau (L)
  18. rearmount
  19. dotCPF
  20. carrot PAID
  21. Renthall PAID
  22. caelyx PAID
  23. Ampdude
  24. Tribull PAID
  25. pilo7448 PAID
  26. 7romanstatesman PAID
  27. TemptestUK PAID

M61 v2 ~15lm RED 660nm

1. archimedes PAID
  2. knucklegary PAID
  3. AndyF PAID
  4. Greatscoot PAID
  5. carrot PAID
  6. dotCPF
  7. marco.weiss PAID
  8. PoliceScannerMan PAID
  9. wayben PAID
  10. Astroturf PAID
  11. Celery PAID
  12. WhiskeyLight PAID
  13. TemptestUK PAID

41/45

ledbetter removed per request, 07/01/21 (edit for my purposes)

M61 Amber (HDS Amber)

M61 Green (TBD, likely Osram)

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be in for one red BUT SST-20DR or XPE2 in 660-670nm. Driver used by Gene for Osram red suits them nice.
E17 has a peak wavelength of 620nm and if you ever tried 660nm you would never go back.
EDIT: is LL mandatory or...? No L's would be better for colored drop ins

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Agree on this 620nm is a bit orange, 660nm is very nice.

Maybe same amber the HDS one used perhaps? Everyone that has one loves it.

With that said I am in for a red and a amber. :D

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
LL is not mandatory or chosen, I threw out the idea a few times and that was just one that a few people responded to. I think if there's legit reason for them at full power, then that's definitely a discussion I want to have!

ID, could you explain a bit more about the 620 vs 660nm? I understand the physics, I rather mean to ask which is your preference and why? My knee-jerk for red is always photo-red, but I have no skin in this game.

I can inquire as to if we could have one color at one current (full), and then the others at different states of L or LL, if that becomes a topic. If we got to 20/ea that would be easy. Less than 20 each we would have to see. I'm going to ask about 15/ each and see if we can "customize" each of those to suit the color-teams best.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some info why 660-670nm or PhotoRed is better than plain 620nm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5364001/

https://redlightman.com/blog/red-light-restores-vision-and-eye-health/

Red is "less" visible than green so to get the same lumens it needs to run harded. That is why i asked about LL's. I'd prefer standard that Gene's using now (driver) with Hi/Lo ring.
How i got in love with this Red? Bought Sofirn C01S 660nm and it is the only light used at night since that day.

Sent from Tapatalk

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
In for a red 660 Osram if that's it. High Low Switch would be great.

I have the E17 Red in a Clemence Virence AAA Jetbeam and I thought from the twisty LMH was like 589nm / 620nm / high at 689nm.
I could be so wrong, I have had it some while.

ID30209 might have a better idea.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Osram doesn't have 660nm, only 620nm i believe.
E17 are great cause their Vf is 3V like many other emitters we use daily where SST-20Dr, XPE2, Osram Red and XPG3 Vf is around 2.5A.

Sent from Tapatalk

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
OSLON Square Hyper Red : 660 nm

I think HDS uses that in their red!.

Osram doesn't have 660nm, only 620nm i believe.
E17 are great cause their Vf is 3V like many other emitters we use daily where SST-20Dr, XPE2, Osram Red and XPG3 Vf is around 2.5A.

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree on this 620nm is a bit orange, 660nm is very nice.

Maybe same amber the HDS one used perhaps? Everyone that has one loves it.

With that said I am in for a red and a amber. :D

I couldn't find the info, but pretty sure the HDS HyperRed was about 660nm, an awesome super deep red.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I was one of the first to bring up the idea for an "M61R" so I hope it is ok that I indicate my interest here, without a commitment to purchase yet, until the details on wavelength and current are more certain.

I am probably only be interested at ~ 660nm (or near that) such as the "hyper-red" or similar emitter(s)

I have plenty of other flashlights with "orange-red" tints, and wouldn't need another.

My thoughts on output are that "low" (subjective, I realize) output would be appropriate for most purposes for this tint.

Since many of these will go into MDx hosts with Hi/Lo Rings, I would be ok with either "L" or "LL" type level(s)

Full output would be too bright, and while LLL might be ok, the resistor ring might drop that second output on the latter lower than ideal :shrug:

Just my thoughts on this matter, and hoping things move forward, whichever way you decide to go (even if I miss out, due to tint or output choices)

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
😂 😂😂 DOT you have gotten yourself into it this time my friend!! 😁

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not holding anyone committed, though if you are in regardless, that would be appreciated to know I suppose? hoooo boy this is gonna be a ride!

I'll definitely make that clear if/when I do. Still have to update the OP with relevant info, figure we can get to bicker-*ahem*- conversing about the details

Hyper Red 660nm seems like the clear winner thus far. If that's the photo red (been too long) then that's even better by me, but I have less skin in this game

Whatever Henry uses at HDS seems like a great choice for the amber as well, I'm game for that.

As per output levels. ID makes a valid point that red is lower output at equivalent current draws, and Archy valid about typical use.

From my experience lower outputs are generally what is desired by using red light, and typically I would think one values longer runtimes out in the field. Current draw at full is about 800mA, current draw at one "L" is about 300mA. I have fully embodied the "Archy Peak" sooooo I perhaps am biased in that way towards greater runtimes with more sustainable outputs.

You know I just gotta give Gene a call and spitball some of this with him. Perhaps finding a middle ground like a 400-500mA draw could be a solution.....

TG- you know, if I can buy a house and a mortgage while also applying for my wife's Green card through USCIS and all the hoops there-in entailed between the two, this should just be the cherry on top I think! This would indeed be quite the hat-trick. Please lets all remember that this will likely be a loooong process especially compared to my last group buys, and this will require a fair amount of hoop jumping for all of us to pull off!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you find a decent Amber I'm in. I've never had an amber light. If I'm going to get one may as well make it a Malkoff