The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Malkoff M61 LED question regarding the SST-20

Default Re: New Malkoff M61 LED question regarding the SST-20

If he reads the same way I do it starts at 1A and when you wait it will creep up some. Think that’s normal
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Should have them tomorrow! I'll be able to compare each SST-20 to 2 M61Ns, 1 M61W, and 1 M61 cool. Just gotta get them all lined up!
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011
    List of my lights!

thanks dot!

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    Should have them tomorrow! I'll be able to compare each SST-20 to 2 M61Ns, 1 M61W, and 1 M61 cool. Just gotta get them all lined up!
    Malkoff Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    If he reads the same way I do it starts at 1A and when you wait it will creep up some...
    Yes. Exactly that.

got any beam shots please ?
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelight1 View Post
    I got the SST-20 5700k today and I am very impressed with the tint. If you're on the fence on this model, it is really nice. That 5700k really takes the ice out of the 6200k emitters.
    Malkoff Junkie

@thermal @adam
    Ok, thank you. Does the current go up because the voltage of the cell actually sags a little? I assume it does not get any brighter.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TILL-22 View Post
    Does the current go up because the voltage of the cell actually sags a little?
    Since the M61 uses a buck circuit, current will continue to rise as the battery's voltage drops *while the battery's voltage under load is high enough for the light to keep running in regulation*('cause that's what regulation is).

Thanks. I read it as going from 1 A to 1,2 A in a matter of minutes (because of voltage sag under load), I guess that's not the case because the voltage would be dropping from 4 V to 3,33 V while maintaining same output which sounds too much for a current draw of only 1 A. I might be mistaken though and I'm not very knowledgeable on how much the voltage actually sags under load!

Link to IMGUR Gallery of comparison between all current SST-20 M61s, and the older XP-G2 equivalents.

Not the best shots, these were just quick. Overall, very very excellent replacement. The hotspot is slightly tighter and brighter, but the diffused mid-section is slightly more filled in, oddly. All same exposure settings, white balance at 5050K (for some reason my S8 won't go to 5000K exactly). Host used was a 9P with 2x17500s. Just hot-swapped the modules.

Tint on all of my SST examples are exemplary. The 5700K perhaps has a touch of green, but the SST-20 4000K and 3000K are superb, both are slightly rosy, perfect for their K temps.

Will try to get better beamshots when I have a little more time! The upgrade is 100% worth it. I even notice slightly higher output on the 3000K modules with the SST-20, but I haven't taken any official readings. Might be able to get to that this weekend, we will see!
    Last edited by dotCPF; 01-04-2021 at 09:27 AM.
    List of my lights!

Awesome, thank you dot for the pictures! Still trying to decide on M61N or M61NL, but I'm going for 4000K for sure.

Flashaholic

Great work, dot!

Now I think I need to buy a 3000K M61 for my G2 with Z44 HA-BK that I scored from ebay yesterday. I have the same light running the M61 Hi-Cri XP-G already and love the incan like output.

Same question for me, whether to chose the normal or the L version..

Quote Originally Posted by tuelleric View Post
    Same question for me, whether to chose the normal or the L version..

I'd go for the L in a G body, 16650 or 2xCR123 and I'd want to max my runtimes as much as possible, and the output loss is minimal. I picked the max output versions because those were what I had already for M61s so I figured it would make the most sense to compare those. Especially with the boost in CRI.

If you want to get rid of that old HCRI XP-G.... let me know
    List of my lights!

Flashaholic

I think you are rigt, the L would be the better choice. For more „incan“ punch I still have a M91w.
    My M61 Hi-Cri is powered by a Keeppower 16650, which works very well. I do not think I will ever sell it but if, I will remember you :-)

The SST-20 4000K in the MDC is just about the perfect everyday light. Beautiful beam and the good color accuracy is icing on the cake.

I just received the M61WL. I put a high/low ring on it and the tricap. I bought the 22.3 head with it and installed it there. Great combination for certain things. I put it on my nightstand. Some lights are just too bright if I wake up at night and need light. That's why I tried the warm tint, easier on the eyes at night. Great runtime. I am very happy with. it.

Down the street from Cree HQ in Durham, NC

I recently received my M61N in an MD2 with hi/lo ring. This is the best tint and CRI that I have experienced. Certainly the most pleasing to my eye and please consider that I have been a 219 snob for many years. Combined with the MD2 two speed this might be my favorite light of all time.

I can second that. I was pretty hesitant to try the SST20 high CRI, somehow my impression was that only the nichias ( 144, 219 ) would have that beautiful neutral tint, but what do you know, these SSTs have the same gorgeous tint.

I got my MD2 with M61NL with the SST-20 on Wednesday, it's my second light with a SST-20 in 4000K and they're both very nice in CCT and tint. Very happy with them!

Maybe it just matches my personal preference, but the SST20 seems to have the best balance of tint and throw for my uses. I am still surprised with how well the M61WLL has been preforming and it's really been making me question the specs I thought I "needed".

Yep. The SST-20 is a nice combo beam out of an OP. Add a Quake 270 #3 for high vis...Perfect fit

Enlightened

I just received my M61NL SST-20 this week and I'm really enjoying it. So awesome outdoors at night!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12