HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Malkoff M61 LED question regarding the SST-20

Default New Malkoff M61 LED question regarding the SST-20

I see that the M61 recently changed from the CREE XP-G2 LED at 6200K (420 lumens) to the Luminous SST-20 LED at 5700K (450 lumens).

How does the SST-20 compare to the XP-G2 in beam profile, brightness, CRI and runtime on two CR123ís?

I have read the SST-20 has more throw and it appears the lumens are nearly equivalent.

Default Re: New Malkoff M61 LED question regarding the SST-20

Just got one in today. Definitely warmer than my only cool white Malkoff MDC. Definitely cooler than my M61N. Sorry I don't have a CW XP-G2 M61 to compare with, anyone got one they want to part with?

in my 6P on 2xCR123 ~5.8V- 350 SST-20 CW vs XP-G2 N 300lm

MD2 18650 H/L @ 3.9V- SST-20 CW = 298lm/ <~1lm vs XP-G2 N 220lm/ <~1lm

My IRL impressions: definitely brighter than the N at same voltages. Profile is remarkably similar, the falloff on the SST is almost more diffused, but the hotspot is definitely more intense, particularly in person. Verdict: Meet the new boss, same as the old boss! Tint is pretty good too! I get around 5500K on the M61 SST-20, and around 3700K on this particular M61N. Photo @ 5000K, 1/350th, ISO 100 f/2.4

Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011
    List of my lights!

Itís the M61N rated at 400 lumens?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Itís the M61N rated at 400 lumens?

Yes, my tube setup measures a little low, and it wasn't at full voltage. It is otherwise consistent, I wouldn't place too much value on the exact figure, just the comparison, though it's like 98% accurate. When I get a little more time next week I can do the full fleet of voltage and current draw tests.
    List of my lights!

Got ya. Well a M61 cool with more throw doesnít sound like a bad idea. Especially looking at that beam. Looks pretty good to me.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Yeah that image is pretty good at showing the difference in beam profile. It seems apparent that the loss of some output towards the outside of the beam was all focused more into the center. Beam profile is smoother.

I'll also say this, I would definitely call this neutral white, not cool white! Perhaps that is the reason behind the decision for 5700K SST-20. I suppose "High Noon" is perhaps more a fair assessment.
    List of my lights!

It's kinda like thisÖÖ
    John 3:16

Is that to scale?😁

Is this high CRI?
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

No, the only SST-20s that are HCRI are 4000K and below.
    List of my lights!

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    No, the only SST-20s that are HCRI are 4000K and below.

Not that I'm unhappy with my neutral malkoff's (actually I'm extremely pleased) but I wonder if there are plans to to neutral or warm SST20s, which would then be high CRI (instead of the XPG2 80CRI... which is actually very nice in use).

While I know nothing official, that is my speculation given he is currently stocking and working with the 4000K SST-20 w/ 95CRI.
    List of my lights!

Enlightened

I can't see a difference in beam pattern, and I do prefer my Kelvins within the 5000's.
    Last edited by Voider of Warranties; 10-23-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    "Welcome to the edge. It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

So the SST-20 that are currently listed for sale on the Malkoff website and running about 5700k? Which is an improvement from 6200k glacier blue LED.

What tint does this LED lean towards. I saw a pic above and maybe it is my eyes, but looked a little greenish to me.
    Last edited by Whitelight1; 11-09-2020 at 10:00 AM.

good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelight1 View Post
    So the SST-20 that are currently listed for sale on the Malkoff website and running about 5700k? Which is an improvement from 6200k glacier blue LED.

What tint does this LED lean towards. I aw a pic above and maybe it is my eyes, but looked a little greenish to me.
    Malkoff Junkie

Tighter beam profile for sure, but it's also more "diffused" from the hotspot to the outside of the beam, if that makes sense.

I don't get a green vibe from these dropins at least not significantly, definitely more neutral though, so that itch may be scratched.

I'll be able to do a straight up regular M61 comparison tuesday!
    List of my lights!

I may have asked already and forgot, but does the new M61 have any slight dark rings on the outer spill like the Nichia drop ins?

erroneous post

But I do not see any. I will post beamshots tonight if I get the chance! Just had a CEL pop up on the dash......
    List of my lights!

I just ordered the MD2 with the new M61 and tricap. (Along with a few of other things like the MDX head wrench, lenses, bumpers, orings Etc.)

It will be nice to compare the M61N to the new M61.

My plan is to pick up a CW version of all the neutral versions I have from Malkoff.
    Last edited by Whitelight1; 11-09-2020 at 09:40 AM.

I got the SST-20 5700k today and I am very impressed with the tint. If you're on the fence on this model, it is really nice. That 5700k really takes the ice out of the 6200k emitters.

Browsing the website today and it looks like there are some pleasant updates. All of the M61N lights appear to be the SST-20 4000k 95 CRI and the M61W variants are all the 3000k 95 CRI option. I was always very happy with the tint and apparent CRI of his neutral and warm XPG2 LEDs but this is just fantastic. Who wants to buy all my old Malkoffs now so I can update lol

Looks like the M91B and M31 lines haven't changed to the SST-20, though.

Flashaholic

Nice, just ordered two M61W's!! Now I have to figure out what to put them in, chance to buy a couple new hosts.
    Wayne
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Ughhh.....killing me with 3000k and 95 CRI. I had to pass on the sst-20 m61w when I saw the neutral hound dog xp-l in stock. I am curious to see some shots of the sst20 m61w vs the previous m61w. I'm almost happy it's out of stock already to prevent the temptation.

Same here! I'm actually happy though because I'd have to pay an extra 60 USD to have it shipped to my country.

Quote Originally Posted by TILL-22 View Post
    Same here! I'm actually happy though because I'd have to pay an extra 60 USD to have it shipped to my country.
    😳 ouch!!

Can someone with a new SST-20 M61 do a draw test on a 18650/2X123? Kinda curious. Thanks

Amp draw as tested through the tailcap? If so, I am seeing 1-1.2A on 1x18650 and ~0.95A on 2xCR123a. M61 SST-20 using a Fluke 115.

Flashaholic

Any beam comparisons with old xpg2 especially in neutral? Thanks, still sitting on the fence on this latest offering. Wondering if next aa lights will also have new emitter.

Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    Amp draw as tested through the tailcap? If so, I am seeing 1-1.2A on 1x18650 and ~0.95A on 2xCR123a. M61 SST-20 using a Fluke 115.
    Thatís spot on with what Iím getting with the last version M61. Good to know. Thanks.

1,2A at first, 1A after throttling? Does it even throttle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast