NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: In Search of the Perfect Light -- for Me

Default In Search of the Perfect Light -- for Me

I was thinking the other day about the perfect larger flashlight for me. Since this forum hasn't steered me wrong yet (I have an LSH and a couple UK eLEDs due to advice found here), I thought I'd put this quest before the Flashaholics.

I'm looking for a relatively larger flashlight for outdoor use. I do a small amount of volunteer search and rescue work, as well as having all the regular uses for a good flashlight.

My parameters are as follows:

Brightness -- 3 watt Luxeon

Batteries -- Ordinary batteries, easy to obtain in an emergency. C or D, preferably 3 x C to keep the weight and bulk down while assuring a long runtime. Both alkaline and NiMH.

Regulated -- I strongly prefer regulated lights that have a fairly flat discharge curve until the batteries are almost gone, then a significant dimming to let me know it's feeding time.

Body -- must be metal, both for durability and for the potential to use as a weapon if necessary.

Reflector -- sufficient to give good throw for outdoor use.

Switch -- both momentary and on.

Appearance -- this is very subjective, but should look professional while not appearing to be a Mag. We Flashaholics have a certain image to maintain, after all....

Can anyone think of a flashlight that meets ALL my parameters? I've been using a 4D Mag with an EverLED, but it's just too big and not bright enough.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: In Search of the Perfect Light -- for Me

The Elektrolumens HyperBlaster-1R should fit the bill very nicely. 2D, regulated, 3W, good throw outdoors and about 8 hours burn time between feedings. I like mine a lot!

TerryF

Flashaholic*

Along the same lines maybe an Elektrolumens FT-3C.

3C, not regulated but 12 hours bright, and diminishing there after.

http://elektrolumens.com/FT-3C/FT-3C.html

1. Brightness 3W, Match

2. Batteries C, Match

3. Non regulated but from what I read pretty flat discharge, Compromise

4. Body - Nicely done IMHO from the pictures

5. Throw - 30mm optics with 6 degree beam, not sure if this is a Match to yuo're criteria. After experiencing my Tigerlight, I doubt any LED would compare in that price range and size.

6. Switch not sure

7. Looks classy IMHO

Mike, a Mag lite modded with a Lux III and a converter board from Dat2Zip would fit the bill. You would need a Hotlips heat sink for a C or D Maglite and then the appropriate converter board and of course a LuxIII.

Enlightened

I would also recommend Elektrolumen's HyperBlaster-1R. I love mine.

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    ...should look professional while not appearing to be a Mag...

[/ QUOTE ]Wolfen, I think a modded Mag would appear to be a Mag. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Those with HyperBlaster-1Rs, can you comment on the relative brightness. Compared to, say, an LSH Standard? I've never seen a Lux 3 light in person, and don't quite know what to expect.

I'm leaning towards this due to the 2D form factor. It's going to be a bit smaller than a 3C, and since batteries come in packages containing even numbers, it's less complicated logistically.

Flashaholic*

i agree with everyone else.
    go to www.elektrolumens.com and listen to Wayne [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]

i wouldn't reccomend the FT3C for outdoor use due to the switch.. something from the Blaster series would be better since they're more water resistent..

Edit:
    unless it's not an issue for you! it's not an issue for me and i luv the FT3C, it's my longest throwing/brightest light and it's the smallest 3C flashlight ever.

Yea, a modded mag appears to be a mag until you turn it on.
    Then everyone knows it aint a mag. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You might want to get a 5 watt light also. It has a broad beam pattern, less throw, but better for search party type operations.

I guess I should add "waterproof -- impervious to rain at a minimum" to my list of criteria.

Flashaholic*

good idea Mike.
    in that case i'd scratch the FT3C and reccomend the Blaster series.

my Blaster 3 has been in 2 big rain storms and got dropped in the slush a bunch of times this winter without any sign of leaks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

LuxIII more throw than Lux 5 Watt? Haven't seen one yet that outthrows my SpaceNeedleII at its tightest setting, but I haven't seen them all obviously!

Maybe with a BIG reflector like MRBULK's BBH a LuxIII would do it---Wait, I have one on order---Let me get back to you!

Bill

A LuxIII is a single die, where a LuxV is 4 dies. The closer an emitter is to a point source, the easier it is to make it work with a reflector (an ideal parabolic reflector works best with a point-source) and concentrate the light into a tight hotspot.

Also, better IIIs are often "T" binned, immediately adjacent to a "U" binned V. It's likely going to be difficult to tell the difference between the two visually.

Iunderstand your point Idle, but if you take 4X the amount of light, (remembering that a LuxIII is a basically a high performance 1 watt), then theoretically, at least, more than 25 additional percent is going to hit the right spots on the given reflector and the 5 watter should have more throw with better output and spill, from a given reflector.

Since you are using a parabolic reflector, the reflection point would not be the same for the 4 dice as for the single, but nevertheless it is still hitting a spot on the reflector.

MrBulk might be able to rig this test and let us know, I'd love to have a BBH on my SpaceNeedleII, to give it a try!

Bill

I know it has

Unless you're comparing an low S-bin III to an X-bin V (good luck finding X-bin), you're never going to get a "4x" difference in output.

Luxeon bin codes:
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>1W/3W (colored)/5W
    Lumens
    Flux Min Max
    =====================
    M 13.9 18.1
    N 18.1 23.5
    P 23.5 30.6
    Q 30.6 39.8
    R 39.8 51.7
    S 51.7 67.2
    T 67.2 87.4
    U 87.4 113.6
    V 113.6 147.7
    W 147.7 192.0
    X 192.0 249.6
    3W (white)
    S 60.0 67.2
    T 67.2 87.4
    U 87.4 113.6
    V 113.6 147.7
    W 147.7 192.0
    X 192.0 249.6</pre><hr />

Oh, here's a post about LuxIIIs throw:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubb...65&amp;fpart=1

Idle,

Not debating that there isn't REALLY 4 times the light output, nor that the LuxIII really does throw.

Just can't see any possible way that a LuxIII outthrows a 5 watter so long as there is a reasonably sized reflector involved, and that the 5 watter can be adjusted/focused for throw.

I guess I'm a "Show Me" guy. But you may prove me wrong, and I KNOW MrBulk is trying to with the VIP, that's why I have one on order.

Bill