Glow paint and heat

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I noticed that a lot of the maglite luxeon mods use glow paint on the heat sink around the luxeon led itself, it looks very cool indeed and I am thinking about doing the same, but I went to the FAQ on readysetglo.com and they said "avoid heat"....I am wondering the heat generated from say a 5 watt luxeon will cause any problem??

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spontaneous detonation resulting in loss of fingers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/K I don't know... Many people have done it and I guess no one has seen any adverse affects yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

utomatoe

Enlightened
What about using glow powder instead and mixing it in with some clear epoxy? Might be hard to get an even spread of glow powder throughout the epoxy though... I'm sure there is a way...

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you typicaly mix the powder in with the epoxy and then apply, or apply the epoxy and then sprinkle power on it and left it dry? Or do you do both?

??

No idea why but I'm guessing it would either melt, or stop glowing if burnt.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of people are using it with epoxy now with good results. Not sure how they mix it though. Good question.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
60 sec CLEAR epoxy is good once you get good at mixing it. 5 min epoxy is the easiest. I use a rather high ratio of teal glow powder, about 40%. there are two types of powderI have found. One is a POWDER like corn starch,it charges quickly but fades quicker. the other is like the sand used in sand art, larger particles, this glows brighter longer. what I do to mix the stuff is dispence equal amounts of epoxy on a card, add glow powder on top of both parts, using tooth pics or q-tip shafts, mix the powder into each half, then mix the two parts together. 5 minutes gives ample time to fully mix and apply the compound. IMHO the large grain (advertised as gel-candle additive) in the teal color is the best, can be found after 6-8 hours after charging.
Jeff

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you compared the teal(aqua/cyan) to green? I think green is brigther initaily but aqua glows the longest?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are probably right, I have looked into too many green lasers, so green dosent seem so bright to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif
also, the grain size makes a HUGE difference.
jeff

Latest posts