Favorite Place to Buy Computers and Electronics?

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
Whenever I want/need new computer or electronics gadgets I usually go to Fry's, an electronics chain here in California. The main reason I shop there is because it is in a convenient location for me and they usually have a good selection of products. But their return procedure is a real pain, the customer service is non-existant, and they restock a lot of returned or refurbished goods on their shelves so you have to be careful of what you buy. I was wondering where other CPF'ers like to go to buy their hi-tech toys? I like Best Buy but there isn't one close to me and I have heard horror stories about trying to return goods and products being repackaged. I don't like Circuit City or Good Guys because they always make a hard sell for you to buy an extra warrantee policy.

So where do you like to shop?

Bill.H

Enlightened
NewEgg, (formerly googlegear) Zipzoomfly, and good old Amazon. Probably because there's no place to shop close to me and the prices and selection are much better online. About 40 minutes away is a mall with Best Buy, Circuit City, and Tweeters, but I only go there every few months. By the time I add in sales tax, tolls, and gas plus the big store markup, it's really not worth it unless I'm in a big rush.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewEgg is a favorite, Amazon also. I'll do nearly anything to avoid buying something from BestBuy. That place just rubs me the wrong way. Indifferent employees, advertised sale items never in stock, etc., and the place is always so damn LOUD!

Peter

rocketmaninphx

Newly Enlightened
If you are in SoCal and interesting place is the APC swapmeet in Santa Ana. Interesting and sometimes really cheap if you know what you are looking at.

clapon

Newly Enlightened
I've built several computers with gear from Newegg. Great prices, fast shipping (sometimes free).
Also check their Refurb. dept. - some great deals to be had.

LukeK

Enlightened
Re: Favorite Place to Buy Computers and Electronic

Newegg is great. Probably the best store I've ever shopped at. That's taking into account both prices and customer service.

http://www.directron.com -- a local store that's gotten a lot larger over the years. For me they've been very quick on shipping. Not the cheapest prices but they do have some items that other stores don't.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree about newegg and directron. I recommend them too.

I wish I was shopping at Fry's because that would mean I was back in California. For those who haven't been there it's like a Home Depot for computers and electronics.

And speaking of buying a warranty, I bought a hard drive a month ago at Compusa. It died two days later. I ran the manufacturers diagnostic program, got the error code, and got an RMA. But I decided it would be easier to take it back to Compusa. They wouldn't take it back because I didn't buy the warranty. I used to like to go to Compusa, but no more.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do most of my computer shopping via eBay. It works well for me. One part at a time. hehehe

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened

Being in phoenix, Fry's E as I call it since we have Fry's grocery stores as well is best if I need a part today, if I can wait a few days, I usually shop at mwave.com, generally good prices, and I usually get my stuff before the expected arrival date. They have a pretty good selection of quality name brand parts too. I think I've built 3 computers from parts ordered there.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since everyone else mentioned newegg, I will not give the web site, but I have had many succes stories with newegg.

Not the absolute cheapest prices, but pretty low prices, and they are reputable, not some fly by night company.

For the absolutely lowest prices, try Pricewatch.com

They take hundreds of retailers, and sort the bids, daily, by price.

The only problem is, can you trust the bidder that is the lowest bid? Are they a fly by night company, or have they been around? How about returnes.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Like Charles, I get a lot of staples from ebay, as long as it's new and the seller is reputable. I used to get most things, and to some degree still do, from buy.com, which offers fast free shipping on a lot of things (at one time it was most things). And then there's always Amazon, too. If I didn't live in NY, I'd buy from J&R mailorder, too, they have good prices here (jandr.com) and camera/electronics from B&H (bhphotovideo.com). But there's the darn sales tax here.
daloosh

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
I never heard of newegg before, I'll have to try them out. I wonder if they are related to the Egghead Software store chain that used to be around several years ago?

matt_j

Enlightened
I used to work for J&R Music World and I still buy from those guys. For cameras I go to Adorama and B&H in NYC as well. Used photo equipment I buy from KEH.com (or to avoid the tax).

Recently my buddy who was putting computer together for me got all the parts from egghead and it really was much cheaper.

Matt

kubolaw

Enlightened
Alan, I quite dislike Fry's also, but their return policy is probably one of the best in the business (probably why they try to sneak so many opened/refurbished items on to their shelves). Of course, the experience may not be pleasant, but they do seem to take anything back.

If you want a B&M store, you may try MicroCenter (depends on where you are in CA).

[ QUOTE ]
polak187 said:
... Recently my buddy who was putting computer together for me got all the parts from egghead and it really was much cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, I assume you meand NewEgg, rather than "egghead". Let me add my voice to those recommending NewEgg. Great prices, reasonable shipping, good customer service. I also have had good experiences with Silicon Valley Compucycle for HSFs and case lighting.

John

PS A good place to read about others' opinions and experiences with retailers is Reseller Ratings

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
kubolaw, I'm sure you are right regarding Fry's liberal return policy. The times I've returned anything I haven't had a problem with them accepting it. It's just such a pain to wait forever in one line just to talk to someone and get a return form, and then go wait in the checkout line to actually get your money back! There is a MicroCenter near me, I'll have to visit them one of these days.

But in terms of B&M stores, it looks like Fry's is still one of the better choices for one-stop shopping for computer equipment, home entertainment, houshold appliances, etc. When I buy pricier items I like to inspect them personally instead of buying them online. I can see if there's fine print regarding specs, I don't have to worry about shipping problems, and it's usually easier to make a return if I need to.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had good results from NewEgg. I have actually ordered more stuff from DIRECTRON than any other place. When I'm putting together an order I can usually get it all from Directron, in one order, instead of having to pay shipping more than once to get the same stuff. Also, they ship fastasgreasedlightening!

Dmax

Newly Enlightened

Newegg.com is not related to egghead. I have bought from newegg.com, directron.com, and mwave.com over a period of several years and have had very good experiences. I had good and bad experiences buying from buy.com and svccompucycle.com.
If you want to evaluate an online merchant I suggest checking out www.resellerratings.com.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've purchased from Directron with great luck. I've also purchased through Tigerdirect.com with good results.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

For Electronics Try www.onecall.com I have ordered from them and have done very well in the past.

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kubolaw said:
Matt, I assume you meand NewEgg, rather than "egghead". Let me add my voice to those recommending NewEgg. Great prices, reasonable shipping, good customer service.
John

[/ QUOTE ]
John,

yeah I meant newegg. My brain is scrambled. Sorry.

Matt