Popcorn and movies

ledbetter

Enlightened
Don't know about you but I'm making a lot more popcorn at home these days stuck at home instead of going out. Discovered a red popcorn with no hull to speak of(that annoying part that gets stuck in your teeth or in your throat!). Really prefer it over the regular white or yellow stuff. I'm old school so cook it stove top with some peanut oil. Tasty and sort of healthy snack, depending what you put on top.

I also tried some pricey elephant kernel popcorn that was pretty good. I was hoping to recreate Nuts on Clark magic but that didn't happen.

Any other types or recipes to try? Happy munching!

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
That's funny!
I did the same thing, but not on purpose.
I pre-cooked the corn, in the microwave, still in the husk, a little bit, and then threw them onto the grill to get them a little smoky.

I heard them start to pop! ... What the heck!? :)

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, instead of popcorn and movies, it's popcorn and controversial topics threads and controversial posts on flashlight forums. I have a ratio of no more than 10 calories of popcorn per one hour of reading controversial content of flashlight forums, or else I will gain 40 popcorn pounds per month. Plain, no salt and no butter.

sgt253

Enlightened
Don't know about you but I'm making a lot more popcorn at home these days stuck at home instead of going out. Discovered a red popcorn with no hull to speak of(that annoying part that gets stuck in your teeth or in your throat!). Really prefer it over the regular white or yellow stuff. I'm old school so cook it stove top with some peanut oil. Tasty and sort of healthy snack, depending what you put on top.

I also tried some pricey elephant kernel popcorn that was pretty good. I was hoping to recreate Nuts on Clark magic but that didn't happen.

Any other types or recipes to try? Happy munching!

ledbetter,
I would love to know where you found the red popcorn, if your willing to share it. Welcome to pm me it if that suits you. It would be a perfect gift for my brother. He absolutely loves popcorn, as do I. We must be geographically close given the "Nuts on Clark" reference. Best.

ledbetter

Enlightened
ledbetter,
I would love to know where you found the red popcorn, if your willing to share it. Welcome to pm me it if that suits you. It would be a perfect gift for my brother. He absolutely loves popcorn, as do I. We must be geographically close given the "Nuts on Clark" reference. Best.
FYI only the husk or shell is red, and when it pops it's just white. Rancho Gordo sells pricey organic stuff. The snake that's swallowing the world sells a Pilgrim brand at less than half. I'm not from Chicago(hate the Cubs, hate mj, but bears are ok) but been thru o'hare enough times to get addicted to all things Nuts on Clark. Cheers!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good ole Orville cooked in canola oil in an alluminum pan here.
Little by little the oil seasons a pan and after a while it's like cast iron only heats way quicker. Once all kernals stop popping it sits for about 15 seconds before removing heat to end up with a couple dozen well done kernals. Lightly salt to taste.

I'm the third generation to use this method. Now my wife's talking bird gets excited when I pour in the kernals and makes popping sounds knowing she's going to help me partake.