RIP James Randi

Empath

Flashaholic
Perhaps to the delight of charlatans everywhere, James Randi is no longer with us. He died last Tuesday at the age of 92. His skill as an illusionist and escape artist was beyond belief, and the fact that he never attempted to claim it was anything more than humanly possible science and skill that enabled his ability to perform, and reveal the deceptions of deceivers that claimed otherwise brought respect, and frustration from the frauds and charlatans.

His million dollar challenge was never met.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps to the delight of charlatans everywhere, James Randi is no longer with us. He died last Tuesday at the age of 92. His skill as an illusionist and escape artist was beyond belief, and the fact that he never attempted to claim it was anything more than humanly possible science and skill that enabled his ability to perform, and reveal the deceptions of deceivers that claimed otherwise brought respect, and frustration from the frauds and charlatans.

His million dollar challenge was never met.

One of the greatest fraud destroyers ever to have lived. The million dollar challenge (described HERE) was a one-of-a-kind way for Randi, and skeptics alike, to get all the hucksters to put up or shut up.Supernatural believers, paranormal purveyors, and mystical madmen all had the same opportunity to prove once and for all that their claims ("woo-woo") had validity. As Empath stated, the money stayed in the bank. He was not without his detractors of course; some believed that trying to show folks the supernatural didn't exist pushed the believers farther away from science. Randi, however, wasn't swayed by this argument. The prize carried on until 2015. It's worth digging into some of the quacks that tried to get that million dollars...

His stout skepticism will be sorely missed.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprisingly, I never heard of him but anyone who debunks snake oil salesmen has my admiration.

Over the years, James Randi was instrumental in exposing quite a few folks besides those that took up the million dollar challenge...

Here is a bit on the televangelist Peter Popoff (and the whole episode HERE which shows a number of Randi's reveals)

Here is the entire episode of The Tonight Show that Johnny Carson set up with Randi to expose Uri Geller

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
His neighbor ran a science club that i was a part of and we spent the day at his house. He was very entertaining and accommodating, he kept disappearing right under all 6 of our noses and reappearing above us, behind us, next to us and under us. His house itself was a magic trick. He taught us to pay attention to detail which helped in my scientific pursuits as well as my future in military and law enforcement. If i can dig out the pictures of our visit I'll post them here.

The amazing Randi actually showed us the Uri Geller footage while we were at his house somewhere around 1980-81

Last edited: