Reasons to exchange T27 for K30GT?

nitebrite

Enlightened
Both small enough. K30GT much more powerful. I really want on board charging. Some say that is a downfall. My UDR Dominator has worked just fine for 3+ years. This is what will be replacing it. So have a number of other lights. I was just wondering if anyone could offer me pros and cons of both. Unless everyone feels the K30 is simply outright the better light. I do notice that vinh really liked the T27 when it only had 1800 lumens according to him. Now it is testing with 2500+ lumens. If that is any factor. The current T27 has about 15 feet of spill. Of course it retains about 1200 meters of throw as well. I have no clue about the K30. I would go with the better light regardless. Which is why I am looking for advice. Thank you

nitebrite

Enlightened
I got my answer already. The K30GT has a much larger hot spot. I would prefer to stick with 86kcd more,onboard charging,half the weight,no doughnut hole,less heat,a rear clicky, and so on. Most will say the K30 is the better light but it is not for everyone. I wanted something smaller and lighter that could replace my aged UDR Dominator. In that regard the T27 outdoes the Dominator handily. Both in size and performance. I imagine the K30GT perhaps even more to some extent. However I am trading off some of the qualities that were very important on my checklist then. For my purpose the T27 is probably a better fit. Even though the K30GT overall may offer more outright performance. I guess I just answered my own question. I apologize that I did not read up before I posted. I have the T28vn. I wanted the T27 stock to retain the rear clicky and for reliability. Even stock it is no slouch. It already beats a $1400.00 light. In a package half it's size yet. Of course the UI is not as nice. Although the brand new center switch on the T27 is much nicer than the previous one. They also have driven the emitter much harder this time. I am pretty happy with the T27. I would honestly prefer the K30GT but it just does not fit my application. Perhaps I will just get it anyways. Just for my collection. I am sorry that I drive everyone nuts.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my answer already. The K30GT has a much larger hot spot. I would prefer to stick with 86kcd more,onboard charging,half the weight,no doughnut hole,less heat,a rear clicky, and so on. Most will say the K30 is the better light but it is not for everyone.

That depends on what your use case and requirements are. I love my K30GT because of the wider hotspot and 3x18650 cells for extra runtime. But for all of the reasons that you listed (though I'd argue the doughnut hole part. I don't see that at all on mine), the T27 is the better light for you. Have you considered the T28? It basically is a T27 but has a larger head and reflector so the beam is even tighter for even more throw.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I added to my post. I have a T28vn. I appreciate that you replied. Perhaps the doughnut hole was a bad example that I saw. I have much bigger throwers like the MF05. I just collect flashlights. I need the T27 for serious work. If you do not mind reading the rest of what I wrote. Do you think that replacing the Dominator is a bad idea? I honestly think it is more performance in every respect. The Dominator is over 3 years old. I am surprised that they still sell it for $1370. I am very happy with the T27 for the purpose I am using it. What I am concerned about is a failure though.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added to my post. I have a T28vn. I appreciate that you replied. Perhaps the doughnut hole was a bad example that I saw. I have much bigger throwers like the MF05. I just collect flashlights. I need the T27 for serious work. If you do not mind reading the rest of what I wrote. Do you think that replacing the Dominator is a bad idea? I honestly think it is more performance in every respect. The Dominator is over 3 years old. I am surprised that they still sell it for $1370. I am very happy with the T27 for the purpose I am using it. What I am concerned about is a failure though.

I'm sure (or I would hope) the Dominator was put through a more rigorous test and built to be more durable and thus why they command the premium price, but there's no way I can verify that. I don't think replacing the dominator is a bad idea, if part of your need is usb recharging and battery bank and increased throw. You are right in that the durability is an unknown at this point with how you are using it. Only time will tell. Maybe a good idea to hold onto the dominator and have it on standby, if you're really concerned about the T27 failing.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Thank you. My Dominator has been through the mill. It has seen better days. It may be the one more likely to fail at this point unfortunately. I would not buy another for $1370 today though. So I take my chances either way. The technology of the T27 has surpassed the Dominator. That I can verify. It has both more spill and throw. If the K30GT had on board charging I would probably use it. I guess that was the deal breaker for me. Otherwise it is a more powerful light.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thinkT27 and K30GT are very different lights. If you want tailstandable with higher output K30GT is the choice. If you want tailswitch with momentary on T27 is the light.
Then there is a practical advantage of having only 1 battery.
I saw that there is a T28 as well, and what I can see the only difference is a larger reflector and that T28 is updated with Usb-C port, is that correct?

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
The T27 now has a USB C port as well. There is a new one that just shipped a week ago. they have driven the emitter harder than even the current T28. Now it also has the magnetic ring center switch. It also has 86,000+cd more than the K30GT. There are takeoff's both ways. The K30GT only measured about 3800 lumens. My particular T27 is putting out 2524 lumens. I may have gotten a very good specimen. There is no saying if I will get a K30GT that puts out over 4500 lumens. In fact Acebeam tends to measure much lower than their claims. So I might count myself very lucky. I am sure the K30GT is more powerful. However for this application I cannot be bothered to remove and charge 3 batteries. So, regardless that was the deal breaker here. I would otherwise have preferred it. It may be heavier too but it has a smaller head diameter, is more streamlined and with better balance. As it stands, the T27 has enough spill for my needs. I apologize for creating this thread before I had read more.

nitebrite

Enlightened
No one mentioned that the K30GT gets too hot to hold without the handle on turbo. Interestingly vihn lowered the lumens and increased the candela. In fact right to my T27. Although his K30GT still has more lumens. I place the value on the smallest you can go with the most candela for which i am using it. I would still have got the K30GT but going into 2021 I am no longer into smoking hot lights. Very warm is okay but not too hot to hold. I just found this out so I am mentioning it now. Even though this thread is now old. I understand many people like this light and that is fine with me.