Arc4+ Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
Got an Arc4+ second the other day. Nice light except the feel of the switch is not as good as my first. But the other interesting thing is that the second is much less focused than my first. The difference is similar in comparison to a Fraen vs. an NX05. It appears to be caused by the emitter being a scooch farthur forward in the reflector in the second vs. the first. My question is can I get a spanner wrench and back out the emitter a bit and try to get a tighter focus? I'm thinking that would improve the switch feel as well since it feels like now the battery barely engages the switch. Any thoughts?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what you can do about it, but I can confirm that several of my 4+ seconds had "dead" feeling switches (little or no "click"). I also would be very interested if there was some way to "liven" them up. I also have some that seemed as bright, but were not optimized for "throw" due to their wider hotspot. I grew to like them though, because they illuminate a larger area.

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Methods of tuning the switch are, "coming to light" as we learn more about this new switch. I posted several ideas in another thread recently. You can adjust the spring or vary the solder ring height among other methods..

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that post, but I'm not sure that mine can be helped. They feel dead even when I press directly on the switch with my finger, after removing the tail. Any hope for this type of dysfunction?

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. That is a tougher nut to crack Peter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Other than replacing the head, I don't know of any other tricks for that yet. Maybe bending the positive spring out a little in the middle?

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I follow you Peter. Are you saying I could use some type of hooked tool to push up in the middle of the (+) contact to retension it?. This had occured to me, but since I have no idea what is under that disc, I was hesitant to try it. Does the disc provide the feedback, or the switch itself?

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be very careful if you try that route to make sure you don't damage the switch. Under the contact there is a foam disk and under that is the switch surface. The click feel must come from the switch. One theory is that the contact gets bent and puts the switch under constant tension. Then again, it may just need a new switch. Someday we will try replacing the switch itself on a board that is glued inside a head. Should be a tricky operation.

For now, I would try adjusting the spring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
Well, I think varying the solder height might do the trick for the switch. However, I plan on decreasing the height of the ring and that looks like a pain. I think I'll just try reducing the body length instead by laying it on a piece of 800 grit sand paper and removing a tiny bit at a time. Grinding off solder in that tiny space looks like a nightmare. Anything wrong with reducing the body length a smidgen?

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
Unless, of course, the switch is already partially depressed and that's the problem. Reducing the body length would be a big mistake. Hmmmmm. Better find out first whether I need to increase the solder ring or decrease it.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
If you have different brands of batteries you might want to try them and see if it helps. Some brands are longer than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.