Area lighting lantern or mule for camping

Bronco

Enlightened
Are there any production lights, or reasonable mod projects, that would meet my needs for a good area lighting camp light torch? Basically, a mule type handheld torch with decent efficiency and run time that could be hung from a tree branch would fit the bill. Three or four brightness levels, a recharging port and good CRI would all be pluses. But my non-negotiable requirement is an emitter with a very warm color temperature. I'm talking no higher than 3000K.

Nothing is worse to me around the campsite than seeing a garish white 5000K LED or fluorescent light blazing brightly. If there as an actual LED camp lantern that had a warm emitter, I'd be perfectly happy with that. But nothing I've seen commercially comes close.

nbp

Flashaholic
In my tent I use a little Black Diamond Mobi ramping lantern, with Eneloops. I like it a lot for having just a little bit of light suspended from the tent ceiling to get in and rummage around before bed. It's probably a little bit cooler than you want but has a nice diffuser on it so it's not harsh at all.

For the outdoor campsite, even with all my fancy flashlights, honestly I still use an old Coleman propane lantern. It's cheap to run, infinitely variable, warm incan light, 360* light. You just can't beat a gas lantern on a picnic table to illuminate a campsite.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Get a light with the emitter you want and a diffuser for it. You can typically find 18650 lights that you can order with LED of your choice to a certain extent. You may not be able to get quite 3000k but closer to 3400 from what I have seen Lights like Convoy S2+ is a start maybe perhaps a nichia 219C LED would fit your bill. There are places that sell diffusers to fit on lights also.

Bronco

Enlightened
For the outdoor campsite, even with all my fancy flashlights, honestly I still use an old Coleman propane lantern. It's cheap to run, infinitely variable, warm incan light, 360* light. You just can't beat a gas lantern on a picnic table to illuminate a campsite.

Couldn't agree with you more about this, nbp. I knew going in that finding a torch that was able to compete with the good old fashioned Coleman lantern would be a tall order. But where better to issue such a challenge than right here at CPF? :D

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
The special edition lantern from Budget Light Forums - the BLF LT1 - is nice. Tint ramping and other neat features. Good for power outages, too, with its always on and slow-drain button.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking outside the box, a diffuser on a handheld works pretty decent. Saves purchasing yet another light, saves space and multi-functional. Often you can find a a diffuser inexpensively or you can even DIY one.

I use Coleman lantern on the table and then diffused hand-held in various strategic location. Near tent, in tent, near storage etc.

Bronco

Enlightened
The special edition lantern from Budget Light Forums - the BLF LT1 - is nice. Tint ramping and other neat features. Good for power outages, too, with its always on and slow-drain button.

Thank you, sir. You win the prize. That is exactly what I was looking for.

PaulPool89

Newly Enlightened
This might not be bright enough for you, but I tested this one inside my living room in pitch-dark and they light up the whole room. It's more for a bug-out-bag because of the light weight, but it works for me.

LuminAid Titan solar inflatable lantern. Super light-weight, folds down real thin, and pretty bright.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milwaukee 445 lumen Rover Rechargeable Pocket Floodlight. Milwaukee lights tend to be warm white and high cri. This light uses a proprietary 18650 cell. There's a cheaper $20 version that uses alkalines if you prefer that.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might not be bright enough for you, but I tested this one inside my living room in pitch-dark and they light up the whole room. It's more for a bug-out-bag because of the light weight, but it works for me.

LuminAid Titan solar inflatable lantern. Super light-weight, folds down real thin, and pretty bright.

Had two of the bigger USB rechargeable luminade lanterns die on me within 10 charges each. I don't trust them anymore. My Luci Lux Pro lantern hasn't failed me yet. I'd suggest getting the Luci Base lantern over the Luminade Titan.