Does anyone mod bike lights?

prof student

Enlightened
So I bought 2 different bike lights on Amazon for my nieces' & nephew's bikes.

The run off your typical cell phone power bank USB/5V.

They are ok, for the cost. But I am wondering if the LEDS can be replaced with something better & brighter?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072J5886T/?tag=cpf0b6-20 ON this 3 LED light.....what about making the outside ones an LED that has more of a floody beam to illuminate the left & right side better & put an LED that has more of a spot like beam in the center?

Or on this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YGK2F1/?tag=cpf0b6-20
2 ideas:
1) If I were to just put one per bike, 2 better & brighter LEDS?
2) if I were to put 2 on a bike, make an inside one a spot beam & the outside one an LED that has more of floody beam?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course you could replace the LEDs inside them. For about the cost of the whole assembly per LED if you go with an XP-L2 or newer. Give or take. They certainly could provide a decent platform for modding. You would definitely want to take some measurements after tearing them open to choose an LED that won't just go poof upon replacing it. Of course I am assuming you know how to solder and do basic electronics which, if you don't I'm not sure you should bother with modding them.

prof student

Enlightened
Of course I am assuming you know how to solder and do basic electronics which, if you don't I'm not sure you should bother with modding them.

In which I do NOT know anything of the such. That is why I am asking on here if anyone does do such mods???

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you find somebody who's just looking for a project I don't think any of the modders would be a very economic option for these type of budget lights.

That said they do look very easy to work on, I bet you can just unscrew the faceplates and have direct access to the LEDs.