Cheap Kelvin meter?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the Arc forum, Peter suggested that a Kelvin meter is the best tool to rate the color of LEDs. Seems like an awesome idea to be able to talk in terms of degrees Kelvin, rather than "cat-pee green." And to be able to compare lights based on an accurate color temperature.

There is a Minolta Color Meter III F that can measure in degrees Kelvin, but it's $1,000. Anyone know of something cheaper? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Aten_Imago

Banned
Try picking up that same meter on E-Bay, it should be less. Photogs & Videographers don't need color meters that much now with digital photo being able to White Balance stuff. I sold my Meters 3 years ago...that's how I know. E-Bay. Also look for a gently used Gossen Color Meter. Not as 'Digital' but will still give you Kelvin readings. The other solution is what I do- I shoot a 'Shirley' ( control reference image) of my color chart using flash and Flash white balance on my camera and switch it over to Daylight for the Flashlight pictures. It allows you to see how the light's color is putting a cast on your target. It's an option. Besides, most folks don't know the difference between 3,000, 32000 and 3,500 ºK anyway- too close! http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/FLR_BS.htm