HDS Systems        
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus... the second wave

Default Re: Corona Virus... the second wave

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    isnt c02 how we ship the vacinne?
    Frozen CO2... dry ice.

Fun tip: if you have a chunk of this stuff... put it on your countertop. The part that touches the counter will "melt"/sublime into CO2 gas causing the whole chunk to float around, jump around, and emit a screeching noise.

Do NOT leave too long or you can crack/damage the counter.
    Last edited by turbodog; 01-11-2021 at 02:01 PM.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Ohhh. Haha. I thought you mis-typed and meant 02 at hospitals, since that is in fact in short supply. My mistake.

I think the Pfizer vaccine is pretty smart to know the difference between -94įF and say, -60įF. They both sound colder than cold to me!
    GOOD TINT!

Looking at a bloomberg article today it says 2.5 doses per 100 people so far since December 14th. That's 8.07 million in a bit over 3 weeks. 36% of doses made have been given out. 278k+ have completed the 2 dose regimen.
    Over 26 million in 43 countries.

I personally find that pretty amazing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

The article where I read this.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-11-2021 at 04:32 PM.
    John 3:16

*Flashaholic*

California and Texas both now have the dubious distinction of joining New York with over 30K covid deaths. NY is actually closing in on 40K.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Looking at a bloomberg article today it says 2.5 doses per 100 people so far since December 14th. That's 8.07 million in a bit over 3 weeks. 36% of doses made have been given out. 278k+ have completed the 2 dose regimen.

Lots of interesting information in that link.
    Thanks Mr Fixer
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Flashaholic

Another vaccine phase 3 trial, this time for Novavax, is open if anyone wants to try it:

https://www.novavax.com/PREVENT-19

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Lots of interesting information in that link.
    Thanks Mr Fixer
    You're welcome. The tabs at the top also open up lots of current information as well.

Israel is at 20% vaccinated. Clearly _someone_ had a plan!

https://www.politico.eu/article/isra...uccess-secret/

Isreal has about 9 million people and only about 8600 square miles. America about 350 million and about 8.9 million square miles. Apples to broccoli.

If America were vaccinating in Isreal they'd be at about 90% being America has vaccinated 8 millionÖÖÖ
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-12-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Israel is at 20% vaccinated. Clearly _someone_ had a plan!

https://www.politico.eu/article/isra...uccess-secret/
    Unlike Taxifornia which ranks 42nd in the US in vaccinations administered per capita despite having the most vaccine doses of any state and third nationally in coronavirus deaths.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...D-15864343.php

Default Corona Virus... the second wave

I had a long winded thought out post about how well they do handing out hypodermic needles to addicts so they should follow that plan for vaccine distribution............. I changed my mind

Iím seriously just saying if they can hand out almost 5 million hypodermics to the addicts every year they should be able to get some vaccines administered. Iím sure they have the man power
    Last edited by bigburly912; 01-12-2021 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Didn’t want to get stuff thrown at me
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Iím seriously just saying if they can hand out almost 5 million hypodermics to the addicts every year they should be able to get some vaccines administered. Iím sure they have the man power
    Part of the problem seems to be happening at the state level, where distribution plans seem to be different from state to state. Another problem is that many in the 1A phase don't want to get vaccinated, including a surprising number of nursing home staff. So the vaccine sits around and possibly needs to be discarded as it goes stale instead of states allowing for wider distribution to the elderly and infirm among the general public.

My state has been giving out conflicting information on eligibility recently. Hopefully today's CDC recommendation will loosen the bottlenecks.

My employer (large public school district) just informed us that we are all to be tested for COVID. They estimate 1400 a week and have everybody within a few months. Saliva test from a company named Vault. Does anyone here have this situation? Thoughts?

Tested for antibodies to see if you already had it or testing for active viral RNA to see if youíre currently infected? If itís going to take months to test everyone to see if they are currently infected, it seems almost useless. I mean random tests like that might catch a few, but you never really start with a clean slate. You could have infected people you havenít gotten to yet or infected people you tested weeks ago and were infected afterwards. I would think targeted testing for those who have had probable contact with positive cases would be more useful than just grabbing randomly assigned chunks of employees week by week.

Isreal has about 9 million people and only about 8600 square miles. America about 350 million and about 8.9 million square miles. Apples to broccoli.

If America were vaccinating in Israel they'd be at about 90% being America has vaccinated 8 millionÖÖÖ
    Not really. Easiest way to compare is using the rate of vaccination. Yes they are smaller and less populated, but that also means their healthcare system is smaller also.

? Logistics has to be the problem. If you have all of the people you need vaccinated in 8600 square miles you donít see an advantage there?
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

*Flashaholic*

? Logistics has to be the problem. If you have all of the people you need vaccinated in 8600 square miles you donít see an advantage there?
    Not necessarily. Here's the current vaccination status in NYC. Only about 0.35% of the population received both doses, and only 2.85% received their first dose. This is despite everyone who needs to be vaccinated being within 400 square miles.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    Not necessarily. Here's the current vaccination status in NYC. Only about 0.35% of the population received both doses, and only 2.85% received their first dose. This is despite everyone who needs to be vaccinated being within 400 square miles.
    Itís one country with one plan. The US is several states with several plans. Itís a logistics nightmare.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Itís one country with one plan. The US is several states with several plans. Itís a logistics nightmare.

EXACTLY!!!! Yea for federalism.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Tested for antibodies to see if you already had it or testing for active viral RNA to see if youíre currently infected? If itís going to take months to test everyone to see if they are currently infected, it seems almost useless. I mean random tests like that might catch a few, but you never really start with a clean slate. You could have infected people you havenít gotten to yet or infected people you tested weeks ago and were infected afterwards. I would think targeted testing for those who have had probable contact with positive cases would be more useful than just grabbing randomly assigned chunks of employees week by week.
    Thanks. I need to be careful what I say. It is the state board of education requiring all educational employee COVID testing. Those who are previously positive will not be tested again for something like 3 months.

It is a condition of employment. After telling us that it is free and those with insurance must show proof, and a picture ID when told to order the test kit, then we must be on a video meet where health personnel will guide us individually how to administer the saliva test, it is frustrating in that those health insurance costs are home-wrecking (for all of us living on the edge) as it is NOW if there is a significant injury/illness. Health Insurance will increase our expense to pay for this no doubt. Meanwhile our cautionary behaviors will not change of course.

Our current hospitalizations rate has gone down in New Mexico.

The school board has stipulated that test positivity rate must go down; become 'green' in our county, in order for students to begin phased in-person learning... They also require the new cases COVID numbers to go down as well.

At least 50. Now factor in territories for more wild card fun n games. Woohoo!!

At my work we have monthly team meetings via (ironically) microsoft teams. It began last March if I recall correctly. We took a poll this time to see who wants to meet in person next month. Only one person said no. A svelt, healthy young fellow who has been working from home since April said he feels like it's too soon. He's oh, about 24?/25ÖÖafter that I'm the pup at 56, well except for the 48 year old team leader who takes care of her elderly dad and brother with a fatal illness who both ironically survived Covid-19 back in November. Neither were even hospitalized. Both said they felt pretty lousy for a couple of weeks though. The team leaders brother had a nurse bring it into the home without knowing it.

Minus the one guy working from home the rest work outdoors most of the time and have met dozens if not hundreds of strangers in the last year. At first it was scarey I will admit. But using common sense and judgement when to mask up etc we've been so far so good so Lord willing we are going to meet at a barbecue joint for lunch next month. I've met a few people lately who had it and said you know you're sick that's for sure. One guy told me he had it and felt strange for a day or two then on day 3 knew he had something awful. It was before the "15 days to slow the spread" last year so he did not know what it was and did not quarentine himself at first. He said nobody in his home besides him got sick. He said he had no idea where he got it. He wears a mask everyday. I asked why. He said "I don't ever want to get that *** again". lol

Who knows how many of us got a small case and figured it was allergies or a coldÖÖ
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-13-2021 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    The joys of micromanagement by NY government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll agree with that. People forget that the usa is literally the united STATES of america.

That said... I still maintain that it was technically possible, as far as turning ups, fedex, and amazon loose with it. That doesn't mean it was going to happen.

Word of warning for those sitting on the fence. If you are on the allowed list, I urge you to take the vaccine NOW.

This is for 2 reasons:

1. I believe in the vaccine. Flat out. 100% (pfizer and moderna, and later j&j)

2. Your state will eventually experience an explosion of acceptance... and supplies will run dry. This just happened to MS today. We are OUT and won't resupply for a MONTH. People that could take it and waited are NOT happy, especially considering that a resupply will come around when the first group needs a 2nd dose... thereby going to the front of the line.

Sometime Tuesday, everyone decided they wanted it. The website crashed. They fixed it today. The queue on the registration site was over 9k long last I saw. A short time after that, they pulled the plug and issued the month-delay statement.

FWIW, I got my shot (moderna) about 3 hours before the bad news hit today. Army lady sort of attacked my arm like a caveman spearing a rabbit. Fastest injection I've ever had! Little soreness/heat at site. Not a big deal.
    Last edited by turbodog; 01-14-2021 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Word of warning for those sitting on the fence. If you are on the allowed list, I urge you to take the vaccine NOW.
    I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I can work from home indefinitely, am healthy, and socially distance like a (intramural league) champ. On the other hand, widespread vaccine ... skepticism ... means that everyone who can be vaccinated should be. I could pull the critical infrastructure employee card if necessary - and likely will if my employer decides to recall the diaspora to the office at the end of the quarter.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I can work from home indefinitely, am healthy, and socially distance like a (intramural league) champ. On the other hand, widespread vaccine ... skepticism ... means that everyone who can be vaccinated should be. I could pull the critical infrastructure employee card if necessary - and likely will if my employer decides to recall the diaspora to the office at the end of the quarter.
    If the same thing happens to TX that just happened to MS... I could easily see you going through a resupply/wipeout cycle in short order and find yourself in early March before getting jabbed.

I say unless you're NOT going to take it, go ahead as soon as you can.

Ah, the ole lack of demand versus supply trickÖÖ
    The people yawned at the opportunity, then the supply vanished and just like that everybody wants one now.

Yup, and boy are they pissed right now also.

Glad I got mine yesterday... had to drive ~2 hours to a less populated county for it.

They're thinking you have about 5 months immunity after having covid. Weak.

They say the vaccine can last up to a year. Is that a marketing guy "up to", or a scientist "up to"?

Ah, the ole lack of demand versus supply trickÖÖ
    The people yawned at the opportunity, then the supply vanished and just like that everybody wants one now.
    Me 5 years ago: I don't shoot much anymore. Ammo is expensive now, I'll get some later.
    Me now: I NEED AMMO!!!!
    GOOD TINT!

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8111213141516171819 LastLast