Imalent        
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus... the second wave

Flashaholic

Default Re: Corona Virus... the second wave

One year anniversary of first reported case in U.S.And after over 400,000 deaths in our country, we finally have a national plan to deal with it. Better late than never.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    One year anniversary of first reported case in U.S.And after over 400,000 deaths in our country, we finally have a national plan to deal with it. Better late than never.
    I was thinking the same. If we had handled this well, we probably would have been well under 10,000 deaths. Europe didn't handle it particularly well, either.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    I was thinking the same. If we had handled this well, we probably would have been well under 10,000 deaths. Europe didn't handle it particularly well, either.
    Don't think we could have ever kept it that low. Just a few nursing/long term care facilities would blow that number up.

FYI, red cross was reporting antibodies in Dec 2019 blood supply a couple of months back. So contact tracing would have a field day with trying to track all those down.

Given the fractured nature of coordinating 50 states... even at best I cannot dream of 10k dead.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

+

I was deleting bookmarks on my browser yesterday & this is the only one on C19 I had, from last summer.

T cell part is interesting:: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/healt...ess/index.html
    Last edited by orbital; 01-21-2021 at 03:23 PM. Reason: link fix

Poof: This just in;
    Time to reopen the economy and schools everywhere since the mean old pandemic is now cowering in fear across AmericaÖÖ
    John 3:16

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Don't think we could have ever kept it that low. Just a few nursing/long term care facilities would blow that number up.

FYI, red cross was reporting antibodies in Dec 2019 blood supply a couple of months back. So contact tracing would have a field day with trying to track all those down.

Given the fractured nature of coordinating 50 states... even at best I cannot dream of 10k dead.
    And I wonder if it was around even earlier than December 2019. To this day I think that severe illness I had in early fall 2019 was very similar to covid. Extreme weakness, fatigue just standing up for 30 seconds, followed by a several months long recovery. If covid-19 was indeed around that early, my thoughts on why it didn't spread like crazy was this form wasn't particularly transmissible. Assuming that's the case, later on it mutated into a much more transmissible form, starting in China. The virus may not have even originated in China for all we know. It just became much more virulent there.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    The virus may not have even originated in China for all we know. It just became much more virulent there.
    Since we are wondering out loud and trying not to blame China Iíll go the other way. I wonder if China may have released it on their citizens to quell the riots? Whatís a little coronavirus, usually not much of anything. Enough to make people stay home though. Letís say you released this virus and it was worse than first thought so you hide the facts from the rest of the world. Your neighbors find out and immediately lock down and leak out info to the rest of the world.

Iím not saying thatís what happened but itís a thought.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

im so sick of it damn glasses fog up i trully cant see at all. i tried everything no luck . with out my glasses if i recal my vision is like 400/20 . plus i walk to store and no matter how hard i tey to recall i found i forgot my mask. ps the teacher i talked about above had covid 19 she said most the school had it.
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    im so sick of it damn glasses fog up i trully cant see at all. i tried everything no luck . with out my glasses if i recal my vision is like 400/20 . plus i walk to store and no matter how hard i tey to recall i found i forgot my mask. ps the teacher i talked about above had covid 19 she said most the school had it.
    Soap and water and let them air dry if you donít have coated lenses
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

cool ty ill try that
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Last year I had cataract surgery, and lens implants.
    I now have 20/20 vision, no need for glasses.
    That might be something to speak with your doctor about.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Masks that address the fundamental airflow problem are a more ... expedient ... fix to the problem they create.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

I drove ~2 hours (one way) for my 1st dose couple of weeks ago. Now have good news, good news, and bad news.

Good: my 2nd dose scheduled
    Good: not driving 2 hours again
    Bad: driving 3.5 hours this time

Think this is all a plan to stimulate the economy: gasoline, food stops, auto maintenance, etc.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    Masks that address the fundamental airflow problem are a more ... expedient ... fix to the problem they create.
    Absolutely.
    If lenses can be adapted to be worn with THIS

THere would be much less fogging, because the exhaled humid air would go out far away.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I drove ~2 hours (one way) for my 1st dose couple of weeks ago. Now have good news, good news, and bad news.

Good: my 2nd dose scheduled
    Good: not driving 2 hours again
    Bad: driving 3.5 hours this time

Think this is all a plan to stimulate the economy: gasoline, food stops, auto maintenance, etc.
    I was much more fortunate.
    I got my first dose of Moderna today, 20 minutes away.
    I am already scheduled for my second dose 5 weeks later (should have been 4 weeks, as tested) at the same location.
    It was at a Shop Rite pharmacy, not a hospital or mega center.
    I have faith that with time, and supplies, they will work out the kinks.

Since there has been so little information given to the general public, I don't know exactly where the clog points are.

Regarding going for a 3.5 hour drive. A friend who appears to always be happy once said to me: "When I drive my car, I listen to my music and drive like an old man. I have driven like a maniac trying to passes everyone, and like an old man letting every maniac pass me. The difference in time is minuscule. If it takes me an hour, or two hours to get to work, I don't care. I am so busy, WHEN ELSE, do I get a chance to listen to MY music for two hours? Sometimes, I'll park my car, and wait until the piece is over before I turn it off."

That weekend I took the 1 1/2 hour drive to see my dad, in the right hand lane, and had a great ride.

Make the best of it and enjoy.
    Last edited by Poppy; 01-22-2021 at 08:04 PM.

thats my dream. would i still need reader glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    i miss cleveland i loved living there

Absolutely.
    If lenses can be adapted to be worn with THIS

THere would be much less fogging, because the exhaled humid air would go out far away.
    I got this.

Finally scored some P100 filters for my 3M half-face respirator which has the clearance for all flavours of spectacles I have at my disposal.

Surgical mask is there to filter the exhale valve - because I still owe some duty of care to those around me should I be an asymptomatic carrier and because some places I go require as much.

Zero fogging. Specs accommodated. Why are people staring at me?
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

*Flashaholic*

I bought one of these not long after the pandemic started but haven't worn it publicly so far. Couple it with a biohazard suit and people will start freaking out. Since I do a fair amount of hobby stuff with dust and/or chemicals, I figure it would be mostly useful for that.

Didn't even think about covering the exhale valve if using it in public but that's a good idea.
    Last edited by jtr1962; 01-23-2021 at 12:01 AM.

thats my dream. would i still need reader glasses?
    There are different lenses they can put in.

I have Medicare and Medicare would have paid for a "Standard" lens, that would give distance sight, but would require glasses for reading.
    I got the upgrade lens where I can see near and far, without glasses. They cost me $5200 including the surgery.

My doctor installed Synergy Interocular Lens implants. They are very good, but driving at night is challenging because of glare and a halo effect from headlights. I knew that was a possible side effect, and I got it My cataracts caused the halo effect too, so I didn't lose anything.

I think they are regularly making improvements in lenses, so while mine were the best at the time, they may now be better.

Idleprocess, this looks bada$$. Kudos to you for thinking of others by adding the surgical mask for exhaled particle capture.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Idleprocess, this looks bada$$. Kudos to you for thinking of others by adding the surgical mask for exhaled particle capture.
    Local makerspace requires it so I just make it a standard part of the kit. I did the same with my more casual setup.

I've yet to wear this getup out in public, however from informal testing around the house it performs better in terms of breathing effort and of course zero lens fogging. Things get really bad I just might wear it - stops unwanted conversations I imagine.

My doctor installed Synergy Interocular Lens implants. They are very good, but driving at night is challenging because of glare and a halo effect from headlights. I knew that was a possible side effect, and I got it My cataracts caused the halo effect too, so I didn't lose anything.
    Hmmm. I had cataract lens replacement surgery in 2011 and 2012 and have had no night driving glare/halo issues... so far.

*Flashaholic*

How's your close-up vision? Can you read without reading glasses? Not that I was ever considering corrective surgery but I've heard one draw back if you're corrected to 20/20 is that your near vision suffers. Since I use my near vision 95% of the time this seems like it would be a bad trade off for me. I don't care that I can't read street signs while riding my bike until I'm almost on top of them. I can still see what I need to see well enough to not hit it. I like not needing glasses for reading or fine electronics work.

jtr1962,
    My close up vision is fine. I can read standard text easily. I can read fine print if it isn't too small. I have found that I sometimes us a magnifier app on my phone, or take a picture of it and then zoom in for really fine print.

I discussed with my doc the possibility of using two standard lenses, one for near, and one for far distance. My brain could figure out how to use the left eye for close up, and the right eye for distance. The problem with that - I would lose stereo-topic vision which is important for judging the speed of oncoming traffic. He advised against it.

Something I found interesting is that as my cataracts matured, my close up vision improved to the point that I didn't need reading glasses anymore, but my distance vision degraded. Apparently cataracts cause near sightedness.

edit:
    He did tell me that he could put lenses in with different diopters so that I could choose near, mid, or long distance vision, and then use glasses to compensate.
    Last edited by Poppy; 01-23-2021 at 02:35 PM.

I'm starting to think that we need a new thread for cataract patients.

Haha, agree. Letís get back around to our topic. If everyone can see it. [emoji38]

+

Listened to our new commander/chief say we have the 'tools to fix the economy' & beat this virus.

Yes == Open everything & give people their jobs back. They'll have earned money to spend & it supports the tax base. It's called economics.

The overall herd immunity & vaccinations are only increasing,, with the understanding there will always be mutations & new strain vaccination.

Orbital- To quote the person you mentioned, "C'mon, man!!!" Less politics more virus, please...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122232425 LastLast