Corona Virus... the second wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy

Flashaholic
New Jersey's latest seven-day rolling average is 1,630 new daily cases — a 30% increase from a week earlier.
That's also a 500% increase from a few months ago.

Hospitalizations are also at a four-month high. And officials warn that a rise in deaths will likely follow.

Over the last month, daily cases have risen more than 260%, testing is up more than 180%, and hospitalizations are up more than 210%.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Actually this can be either the third wave or the first, depending upon how you define a wave. We had the summer spike which could be considered a second wave BUT in most of the country the number of cases never really dropped below the number where you might have considered the spring wave over. The exception is the northeast, where technically we are seeing a second wave.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Jersey's latest seven-day rolling average is 1,630 new daily cases — a 30% increase from a week earlier.
That's also a 500% increase from a few months ago.

Hospitalizations are also at a four-month high. And officials warn that a rise in deaths will likely follow.

Over the last month, daily cases have risen more than 260%, testing is up more than 180%, and hospitalizations are up more than 210%.
Ain't there a coronavirus thread already?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yup... as discussion of the virus tends to lead to people getting bent out of shape often online.

Hang on while I grab my fainting couch.

To comment on Post #1. Yup. I've been using a 7 day rolling average (to smooth out the huge weekend dip). I've seen it increase from approx 35k/day back on 9-13-2020 to 85k/day now, or 160% increase in 50 days.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The county I live in is seeing the caseload creep up.

9yXJSY3.png

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In before close……lol

It should be no surprise that as people move indoors in parts of the US thanks to Jack Frost returning the number of cases of an easily spread virus would increase. Meanwhile it's part of life across the globe for now. Probably for quite some time to come.

A virus that on day one ZERO people had ever had it, in a land with 300+ million people who had never had it to think that "only 8 million so far". A land where freedom is paramount my prediction is the number of people who end up with it may double this winter. Yet that still leaves around 300 million people to go.

My home state has been pretty steady as the number of tests available rose. Case numbers rose but percent tested versus positive stayed pretty steady give or take a few percent. I look for it to spike here too. As the weather cools my company is entering phase 2 of bringing back the office people. In other words 66% of the workers have returned. That may lead to more people spreading it? I'd say so.

All summer the parking lot of the facility where I work was practically empty. Last Friday it was near full. There are numerous companies in that building with mostly young engineer and college educated people so it will be no surprise to me if by Christmas the place will be empty again.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
England goes into "lockdown" on Thursday and the amount of traffic on the roads is insane! we`re decorating my sons bedroom and went to Ikea to get a few shelves and things and it was impossible to get in, the car park was full and there was a huge que outside? like WHY!? are they all after the Ladda batteries? because that was party why I wanted to go, but I dismissed that thought of so many flashaholics in one place as silly, so now I`m just left with Why!?

Anyway we decided to order online instead (I still may sneak a few packs of Ladda 2450`s in there) ;)

Cobra 6 Actual

Newly Enlightened
Whatever wave it is, there are several factors that will probably drive up the number of positive cases: Winter (with more people indoors and in close proximity), the Holidays (with family and friends visiting/getting together over Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve), Election Day (people in close proximity), protests (again, people in close proximity), "pandemic fatigue", flu season (if you get the flu it may have some early signs and symptoms similar to COVID-19), PPE shortages (again), burnout of health and medical professionals (they've been at it a long time) ...

nbp

Flashaholic
Still just people BS-ing online. I'm stronger than words. Heck, not even words just typing on a keyboard. But it's the admin's decision so I understand that.

This is a privately owned and operated site, and the owner makes rules about how people will be allowed to interact here. There are thousands of places on the internet where people can say whatever they want to each other. This isn't one of them. Follow the CPF rules or posts will be deleted. I'm pretty sure we're done offering warnings at this point.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Couple of reasons ....

• because this is a forum about a specific hobby and interest, flashlights and related gear in fact, and conversely not a forum about current events / politics / religion / philosophy / et cetera

• there is no lack of alternative venues available for those other topics

• there is value to be found in having a friendly, kind, and supportive community, where those interested in a particular hobby may gather and share this information in a pleasant environment

• because disagreement is inevitable, moderation will be necessary

As always, complaints about rules tend to be disruptive to the discussion at hand, and virtually always "off-topic"

As you know, multiple corona-related threads have had to be temporarily or permanently locked. It would be better for this thread to return to the main topic, rather than continue down this side-track.

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Here in the tri-state area, NY, NJ, Connecticut, there has been talk/concern about the upcoming Thanksgiving group gatherings.

There is also recognition of a new term, "Covid fatigue" meaning that people are tired of locking in, and of "social distancing".

When our states went into "shut down" many of us had very small family "bubbles" but as people went back to work (not virtually), they invariably made their "bubbles" much larger. Due perhaps to, Colder weather and Covid fatigue, people seem to be gathering indoors, more, and their "bubbles" are getting larger.

As we all know... the virus is ramping up across the Country.

Here are two links that discuss bubbles.

How and why to create a bubble

Why bubbles may be doomed to fail

What are your thoughts about bubbles, and what are your plans (regarding bubble size) for the holidays?

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
What are your thoughts about bubbles, and what are your plans (regarding bubble size) for the holidays?
Invariably, somebody in the "bubble" will slip up and that could result in everyone in the bubble getting infected. So no, I think bubbles are a horrible idea. In fact, so is pretending we can return to any semblance of normality until there is a widely distributed, effective vaccine. Every time it's been tried, whether here or in Europe, infections spike to the point that major restrictions, if not shutdowns, become necessary. The only exception seems to be Asian countries, or countries isolated by geography (Australia, New Zealand). The Asian countries are doing very well keeping things open and keeping case rates down by nearly universal mask wearing, extensive contact tracing, and targeted lock downs in places where the virus is detected. Unfortunately, the US and Europe seem to lack the discipline to comply with mask requirements to the extent needed to stop the spread, and any system of contact tracing using, say, phones would probably be met with cries of privacy infringements. Granted, the latter is also of concern in countries like South Korea where it's being used but at least there most of the population realizes it's only a temporary, extraordinary measure needed until the emergency is past.

Back to your question, no get together plans for Christmas or Thanksgiving for us. Maybe Easter if we have success with a vaccine by then but I highly doubt it. I'm looking at fall as the earliest things might start getting back to normal enough to have a get together. In the meantime I'm operating my place like a germ warfare lab. My mom is almost 82 and I can't chance her catching it. At nearly 58, there might be issues for me if I get it also. Basically it's just going to the local grocery about once every two weeks, washing down everything before putting it away, doing the same with stuff I get online, and only going out in my yard. Thankfully we have a yard. While not large by US standards, it's more than a lot of people in NYC isolating in tiny apartments have.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Had to take a taxi yesterday I was terrified one guy had a mask on one was in a what looked like a homemade barrier

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I looked at stats for my state for the first time in a while. Looking at the graph it looks like our second wave hit in August and one day total in that month had way more cases then even during the initial wave. The curve is rising for a third peak and percent positive is about 14%, which is also a third wave if one looks at graphs and charts.

I think we are in phase 3 or something but I really haven't been keeping up with the news. I tuned out in July and August beyond 30 second soundbites on the half hour on the radio (sometimes). I just know my favorite steak joint still has every other table closed, about 90% of people in stores wear mouth and nose cover, and the wheels on the bus are still going round and round. I heard there was a baseball tournament but don't know who won.

Schools are open in my city. So far so good. But if trends continue they may halt in person learning after the Thanksgiving break for a while.

Poppy

Flashaholic
This morning's news reported that there were three Halloween parties in Wayne, NJ that spread Corona to the extent that so many became infected, and there were so many at the parties that they can not effectively contact trace all who may have been exposed. As a result, they closed the entire school district for fourteen days. They went all virtual.

People from other communities were at the parties as well, so there will likely be further ramifications.

Each, NJ and NY have had about 2,500 new cases yesterday, and as a result of the recent surges, hospitalizations have significantly increased.

Currently both Governors are imploring people to NOT increase the size of their social circles, and the NJ Governor is asking people to stay within their family *household* bubble for Thanksgiving and other holidays.

Additional restrictions are forthcoming.

Not looking good. :(

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
My daughter came home from school in tears, she`d been back 4 days after being sent home for 2 weeks, and now she has to spend another 2 weeks at home again!
this is her final year before College, and she`s missing mock exams and course work, she`s been accepted into college IF she gets her projected grades, but at this rate it`s going to be a serious struggle :(

Status
Not open for further replies.