Best Bang for the Buck headlamp

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
I'd like another headlamp. Only have a little Bushnell but would like something nicer. Only I don't want to spend a bunch of bucks for it. What would be a good general purpose headlamp that uses the 18650 batteries?

Last edited:

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Well, the Zebralight is WAY more than a "bunch of bucks" for me. For the little bit I have use for a headlamp, $50 would be my limit. I realize that wouldn't buy much of a quality light. But I've used my Bushnell maybe 4 hours in the last 10 years..............so I certainly don't need anything fancy. Just a general purpose light.............maybe one that would be labeled "for camping".

desmobob

Enlightened
I don't think you could beat the Wowtac A2 18650 headlamp for twenty bucks! They even come complete with a USB-rechargeable 18650 battery. I've bought two of them to give to friends.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't think you could beat the Wowtac A2 18650 headlamp for twenty bucks! They even come complete with a USB-rechargeable 18650 battery. I've bought two of them to give to friends.

+1 on this.... consider a little more for the A2S as it comes with a better battery and higher output. NW is a nice color tint IMO.

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys. I'll look into those. I'm not "up" on the neutral white vs cool white, so I'll have to find some caparison videos.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thanks, guys. I'll look into those. I'm not "up" on the neutral white vs cool white, so I'll have to find some caparison videos.
Most prefer neutral white over cool white hands down, some prefer warm white to neutral white even but warm white tints are a lot less common often people have to swap out LEDs to get that tint in a light while neutral white tint options are more available. You take a lumens output hit for NW and more for WW tints often 20% hit in output for WW.

desmobob

Enlightened
Most prefer neutral white over cool white hands down, some prefer warm white to neutral white even but warm white tints are a lot less common often people have to swap out LEDs to get that tint in a light while neutral white tint options are more available. You take a lumens output hit for NW and more for WW tints often 20% hit in output for WW.

Lots of folks forgo the Neutral White or Warm White options because of the lower lumens. Actually, you can often see more detail in the warmer light despite the lower output. The warmer light also feels more soothing; "easier on the eyes" for extended use and has a less obnoxious bounce-back from fog and mist, in my opinion.

Don't base your choice solely on lumen output...

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, guys. Output isn't a big deal to me. I'd say that 750 Lumen is way more than I need for my purposes. Now if I were riding a mountain bike down a black trail on a moonless night, I'd want all the light I could get. But I need to be able to set up my trailer when arriving at a dark campsite, change a flat on a dark country road, be able to see all the wiring in a main panel when all the lights are out, having enough "hands-free" light to go get another load of wood for the campfire or get something out of the bed of the truck. So even though I've got a couple of lights that (to me) really poke out into the distance, that's not what I usually adjust them to do. I'm more of a flood lamp guy. I'd say the most important thing to me is how long the battery lasts at whatever setting I need.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 18650 look at Sofirn. If you want something smaller in AA size check out thrunite and acebeam.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA/14500.. compare Manker E03H to Acebeam similar in price. Although Manker is versatile with angle head, and with pocket clip enabled for EDC

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

After reading as many reviews as I can find, and watching all the videos on the light, I think when the time comes I'll go with the Wowtac A2S with it's extended battery capacity. I appreciate you putting me onto this light. Looks as if it will more than fill my humble needs without digging too deep into my pocket. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a 25% off linewide sale on Nitecore lights at batteryjunction.com this month. Some lights are doorbusters for black Friday (probably better than 25% off). Take your pick. I like the HC60.

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
It's $10 cheaper than their Friday Doorbuster price at Wallyworld. Have to order it and have it delivered to your neighborhood Wallyworld