Need a simple charger for 18650’s & 16340’s

Estwald

Newly Enlightened
Hi.
I own a few Fenix & Olight torches (& a few other gadgets) that all use either 18650's or 16340's.
Until it finally broke I was charging all my batteries with a Fenix ARE-X1 which came with my E15.
But now I'm ready for something a little bigger & better that can handle 4 batteries at a time.

I've done a bit of research and I see all these Opus & VStar & Liitokala & others that look like they're more functional & powerful than I need. I really just need to charge (and on occasion discharge) my batteries.

Can anyone possibly recommend something solid & quality but simple and price-friendly that meets my needs?
Are the 4-slot NiteCores I see on amazon any good? Some look a little junky...
Anyway, ANY recommendation from someone knowledgeable in this area would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!

Evan

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never buy a charger without consulting this.....
https://lygte-info.dk/info/roundCellChargerIndex UK.html

You can sort the columns by clicking on the column headers.

I have only ever bought Xtar chargers, as for me they represent value for money, simplicity, safety and build quality.

Looking at the chart, something like an MC4 would hit the spot, but it only charges Li-Ion. In the future you may need a charger for NiMh as well, so take that into account when chosing.

Good luck,
P

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Need a simple charger for 18650's & 16340's

As far as modern chargers, I've had good results with several by Xtar too, with similar experiences as peter_yetman mentions above.

And the linked review site listed, is always my first stop when looking for something new :)

Last edited:

desmobob

Enlightened

I am very pleased with my Nitecore D4. It charges Li-ion, NiCad, NiMH, and LiFePO4 easily... just put the batteries in and it goes to work. It also provides a bit of adjustability and offers a bit more information via the screen vs. the low-end chargers. I really like it a lot.

If I was going to buy an additional charger, I think I'd try an XTAR, based on all the good reports I've read here on the forum.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another second here in regards to Xtar chargers. I've been using a VC2 for years and its never failed me. The VC4 seems like just what you're looking for, and additionally will actually tell you a bit about what it's doing (charging current, voltage & charged capacity). It will also charge NiMH if you ever need it to. Its completely automatic and you won't have to manually adjust anything, just put the batteries in and the charger will do the rest.

I don't recommend leaving chargers unattended for long periods. Simple safety precaution.

Estwald

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for these recommendations so far.
I'm gonna take a look at that link in just a minute.
I've heard mixed things about all these brands. Especially that some NiteCore models are junky.
I just didn't know if I ought to get something like the Opus C3100 or if that's overkill for my needs.
But these replies have provided me with some good leads already so THANK YOU!

Estwald

Newly Enlightened

Hi. Just a quick clarification...
How does the Xtar VC4 differ from the VC4S?
The VC4 is $15
The VC4S is $30
What is the difference that warrants the extra $15?

I'll end up buying one of them, but I can't find info on the extra features of the VC4S. Any info would be great.

Thanks again!

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast

The VC4S can charge at higher current (with the right power supply), and can display internal battery resistance. However keep in mind these readings done by chargers without proper probes are rarely accurate, especially on smaller cells

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened

After my old Thrunite MCC2 charger stopped terminating charge (it never stopped blinking), I've only got Liitokalas based off of HKJ's recommendations. Got a Lii-100 first of all, then a Lii-402 for myself and a 202 for my brother, and another Lii-100 recently (the old one I gifted to my other brother, now proud owner of a Thrunite TN12). They're simple, compact, and still allow me to pick charging current, which I like.

That said, YMMV. I don't use any more invested functions like doing charge/discharge cycles or measuring internal resistance, so what's good for me may not be enough for you.