would this work?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok my frisge died a few days ago so i have no fridge at all n lost my food. well i can afford a fridge right now so i found a 5 cubic feet freezer for 140 new. well a course that will freeze my food lol so i thought about geting a small strofoam cooler and places food i didnt want to freeze in it and placeing it in freezer .in thory slowing down the tranfers of cold air to freash food.do you think that will work. i genely need more freezer space then freash food anyways. they also had a smalll very small fridge frezer combo for 67 bucks new but lol it was scary small i doubt a gallon milk would fit in it. i didnt by freezer yet im still hopeing i can fix old one but it looks like it may need freon and a course id have to find leak and r22 is hard as hect to get

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i hate used though to many worries after loseing my food thanks god i didnt have lots a meats but had frozen diners and etc etc. i used to find fridges people threw away and i fixed em . lol sometimes its just cause they never cleaned the condenser coil .so it would run high presure on condenser side and over heat also not allowing the frederate to return to liquid state. my dad is looking for one though but i kinda want new this time or find another one that wa s throwwn away

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened
Something to consider also if you find a used one, try to get something not much older then say 10yrs. The energy efficiency difference is dramatic compared to >20yrs old.
I bought two new fridges last summer, one for me one for my mom.
My old fridge was a 1976 model, still working, but ran constantly & would barely keep up if you opened the door a few times on a hot day.
My mom bought her old one brand new in 1979 and it still had the energy sticker in it. It was still working also but same problems as mine above.
However, check this out: the energy sticker on my mom's stated 136kwh/ month. Keep in mind that was when it was new & running at its peak efficiency.
The new ones (same size, 16.5 ft cu)...you ready...465kwh/YEAR!!!
I conservatively estimated a $10 difference on monthly electric bills, it's actually closer to $20 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
They'll pay for themselves in well under 4yrs at this rate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Also I checked into the 'Energy Star' rated or whatever it's called because we get a rebate here if you buy one of those. The small difference in efficiency and the amount of the rebate didn't offset the substantial cost premuim so I just got the best sale deal I could find on a name I knew.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally refrigerators are so reliable that a used one, that's in working condition, (if you can try it) should last a worth while time. Pick up a cheap one and start saving for a better, new, one. Good luck Raggie.

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the cooler idea will work since while it would slow down the cooling it would eventually cool to the same temperature, frozen. Unless you take it out regularly and let it warm up ever so often, maybe just leave a flashlight turned on inside of it to help keep the cooler warmer, new use for one of your flashlights.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
make sure you check all the simple stuff like defrost timer,thermostat,start relay/cap ect.make sure the evap and condensor fans are running too.
i see lots of good fridges tossed for the simple stuff.
a friend picks up all sorts of stuff on bulk day and i often diagnose the stuff faster than he can unload from the truck.
my favorite is window ac units that have "needs freon"scrawled on the case.
pop off the front and peel off a inch thick layer of crap and wash out with a hose.
works just fine and the sealed system is still intact.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
The cooler will only slow the freezing of it's contents. It will eventually freeze, perhaps as quickly as overnight. Notice how putting cold food into a cooler without ice doesn't work for very long on a warm day?

I've had good luck in the past buying used/refurbished appliances at smaller appliance stores. Sometimes people buy new 'fridges the first time their old one has a problem, letting the appliance store take the old one away. Sometimes they fix it for cheap and resell.