Conversion possible.............or is it even wothwhile?

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
I have a much loved, much used 3 D cell Maglite. Is it possible or is it even worthwhile to consider converting it to LED? The danged thing is so heavy with 3 D cells in it I feel as if I've had a workout when using it.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, there are a lot of good LED drop-ins and you can run it on one or two 26650's to save weight.

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Anyone use this bulb? Litt Industries Maglite Ultimate 600+ Lumen LED Upgrade
[h=1][/h]

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
After doing a lot of reading on many websites, I'm realizing I can buy a nice little light for under $25 that will far outdo anything I could do with the Maglite without spending a whole lot more. Sounded good to resurrect the old light, but it just doesn't make sense. Might as well just retire it.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure it's possible and fun!!

But...... I'd ask myself: What am I really after?

I haven't used Maglites at work in years. I always have one in my truck but very rarely do I pop it out. I'll certainly never be without one but with modern 18650 lights that are rechargeable and fit in the pocket easy I only use a Maglite 10% of the time or less.

I still use them often around the house and outdoors though. I have a 1980 2D that's still kickin' and I feel very nostalgic about. You can't beat the run time and they are sturdy as all get out. If you're looking for something fun to play around with they are great. 600 lumens is a lot! I don't often find a use for high lumen lights other than the wow factor but some folks do. I find a nice warm beam around 100 lumens perfect for outdoors in most situations for me. Although, I'm in the woods so a low lumen floody warm light works much better for me.

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
I'm not so attached to the old Maglite that I'd bother with it. I'll just pick up a good LED light to add to my "menagerie" if I feel the need.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to pick up an LED drop-in for under $10.
A Maglite is like the old Timex slogan - 'Takes a licking, keeps on ticking!" Not much can match one if part of what you want is a nice solid dependable light that can also act as a personal protective device. If all you want is light at a reasonable price, the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 is a really nice light you should be able to find for under $20. For a nice step up in output and throw, the Lumintop GT Mini is a good deal, but you will have to wander into the world of rechargeable Li-Ion cells (18650 cell and recharger). A smaller version with less output would be the GT Micro. It can run on either an AA cell or a rechargeable 14500 Li-Ion cell.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Smart thinking.. often people get so attached to old incans that they spend a lot on them to "upgrade" them and later they finally decide to try out newer updated LED lights and get hooked and their modded C/D mags are delegated to emergency use.

VeeBee

Newly Enlightened
I have two 3 D celll Maglites from the 1990s. I upgraded one with a Malkoff drop-in and kept the other one in plain original stock for old times sake.

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
I didn't get an answer, so I'll ask again: Anyone use this bulb or have any experience with it? Litt Industries Maglite Ultimate 600+ Lumen LED It seems like an rather inexpensive improvement for the "old gal".

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't get an answer, so I'll ask again: Anyone use this bulb or have any experience with it? Litt Industries Maglite Ultimate 600+ Lumen LED It seems like an rather inexpensive improvement for the "old gal".
I'm not familiar with that one.

I'm in the U.K. and have bought drop ins from The Torch Site. Although similar things are on eBay.

I have 3 drop ins.

The oldest two look like a bulb. But with an LED instead of the glass bit of a bulb. I've had these a long while. I have a 180 lumen one with a Cree XP-E LED. And a 200 lumen Cree XP-G one.

The current range uses Cree XP-G2 LED. And is rated at 300 lumen.

They cost about £10. So very cheap and as easy as replacing a bulb. They will give you a much better beam and transform an old Maglite. It will become very usable. They retain the focus and stock reflector. By modern standards the output is low and the spill beam will not be overly bright. But it is masses better than a stock 3D. The best thing is, the large reflector means they have very good throw for their output. And they will light things up further away than many smaller torches with higher outputs.

I also have a bigger drop in. It plugs into the bulb holder but comes with a new reflector with a brass pill attached that contains the LED. Think it is rated at 800-1000 lumen. It uses a Cree XM-L2 LED. You loose the focus ability. But it works as well as any other light using the same LED and power rating. Very bright.

Btw I run mine on AA Eneloop batteries in AA to D cell converters. Much less weight and better performance.

desmobob

Enlightened
It's pretty amazing when you realize that a tiny, pocket-sized modern LED flashlight running on a single AA battery has more output than the trusty 3-D Maglite from the good ol' days. I think it's nice to keep a quality flashlight like the Maglite in use. I'd buy an LED drop-in.

I just put a six-dollar drop-in LED module in my old SureFire 6P; a beautifully-made flashlight that's just way too nice to throw away. It is now far more powerful and has four additional modes besides just "on." :twothumbs

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the reason you aren't getting a reply is because no one here has had reason to try it. I haven't even upgraded my Surefire drop-ins in years, they are still around 350-450 lumens and I have zero reason to spend more money on them.

wayben

Newly Enlightened
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the reason you aren't getting a reply is because no one here has had reason to try it. I haven't even upgraded my Surefire drop-ins in years, they are still around 350-450 lumens and I have zero reason to spend more money on them.

I've still got a couple Surefires with Malkoff drop-ins, but most of them I've put back to the original bulbs. The originals are a nice compliment to all the new LED flashlights that are available today.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just Googled the Litt Industries one. Not a huge amount of info on their site about it. Not sure what LED it is using.

It looks ok, but you can get similar drop-ins cheaper most likely.

This the one The Torch Site in the UK currently sell, looks quite a similar design:
wwb_img16.jpg

This one uses an XP-G2 LED. Which means you'll get more throw than a bigger LED. But the spill beam will be less bright and the hot spot still fairly narrow. i.e. it'll be true to the incan beam profile. Just much better.

The Torch Site only rate theirs at 300 lumen. I wonder if the 600 lumen claim is unlikely or degrades as it heats up. There isn't much heat management for 600 lumens IMO.

The drop in above is £11.95 in the UK. Which I appreciate would likely cost to ship to the USA. But does make the Litt one look at tad pricey.

If I was spending more (which) I did. :D

I'd get one of these.

wwb_img110.jpg

tt-ult%205.jpg

They are £28.95 in the UK. But rated at 1000 lumens (800 lumen OTF). They are also 3 mode. You loose the focusing ability, but the focus is set to default. But you have way better heat management with these. So they can handle the higher lumens no problem. The LED is an XM-L2 which is bigger. This gives a fatter brighter beam and brighter spill. It isn't quite as throwy in profile, but the output means it'll throw very well still, but a lot more light overall.

The Hawk

Enlightened
I have a much loved, much used 3 D cell Maglite. Is it possible or is it even worthwhile to consider converting it to LED? The danged thing is so heavy with 3 D cells in it I feel as if I've had a workout when using it.

I converted my old 3 D cell Maglite to LED several years ago. I keep it in the glove box. Don't remember what LED I used, but it was not very $.

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Chicken Drumstick. I think I'm just going to toss the old gal on a shelf somewhere. I've got 3 good working led flashlights and one led headlamp. They all serve my basic needs. But If I come into some extra money, it would be fun to give the old gal an upgrade.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
If weight Is an Issue I agree you should use AAs in a D-cell adapter's, that's how I run my 4D It weighs next to nothing

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you have a 3D one you can use a single 18650 instead but will have to make an adapter for it.