Maratac AA Ti Rev. 4

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this expecting there to be PWM on the medium and low modes, and expecting to do a driver swap to solve the PWM, but I can't detect it. I looked for reviews and can find none, nor any threads specific to it, so I am posting to ask others who have it if they can tell me if there is PWM on this or not. afaik, all the previous revisions of AA Maratacs had PWM. It was easy to see on the low mode of the 2 mode Rev. 2, and I was told it was there on the 3 mode Rev. 3. Could Maratac have finally put a constant current driver in their AA models? Thanks.

Also interesting, driver appears to have polarity protection, raised ring around the contact... but not certain, because the ring appears to be metallic, so maybe, maybe not.

What do we know about this light?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maratac AAA has always been free of PWM, while the Maratac AA always had it.

jon_slider has suggested to me that the Maratac drivers are made by Lumintop, and since the Tool AA no longer has PWM, the Maratac AA will also no longer have PWM.

That is good enough for me.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah ok. So just like the tool AA v2. I'm looking for no memory but otherwise it's a solid driver.

Well, maybe this is a coincidence then, just received a backorder from Battery Junction, old JetBeam Jet II Mk CR123A/16340, no memory, let it sit, always starts on lowest mode. I would guess then the JetBeam Jet-1 single AA has no memory either. Say, Gunga, have you looked at a JetBeam Jet-1 Mk AA flashlight for your sweet tooth for no memory?

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't remember which one that was? Jetbeam has never been too clear on the models

If you mean the AA/14500 JetBeam Jet I Mk I mentioned, it is this
UQ7gqsL.jpg

I am assuming it doesn't have memory since it is the same generation as the Jet II Mk.

I thought the jetbeam did have a memory??

Nope, not my Jet II Mk, CR123A/16340 light:
vQJBBOg.jpg

always starts on low

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back to the Ti Rev. 4...

Vinh was kind enough to swap in a sw30 emitter for me, and I have been using it quite a lot since. I think the driver might be regulated for constant brightness because I don't notice any dimming (but maybe it is there and I am just not noticing). When the cell gets low, rather than dimming, the mode steps down abruptly.

I am unlikely to carry it because I don't really care for the mode separation (neither dim enough nor bright enough, low is too bright, medium is too bright, high not bright enough) or clip, but used as a room lamp, mode separation is fine. Runtime is surprisingly decent, I think a bit better than County Comm's claims, though I am using Eneloop and Ladda 2450, not alkaline.

I intend to get another one... I like pairs of stuff.