2. bpbpoo (SW45)
3. carrot (SW35)
4. Random Dan (SW40)
5. StoneKing (SW35)
6. chipwillis
7. dotCPF (SW35)
8. boo5ted
meddlecho (SW35)

Good afternoon everyone, I'd like to share a project I've been chipping away at behind the scenes for a while now.
This is the "Corvus" project, a conceptual successor to the Hyperion, intended to eventually be made as a AA/14500 compatible light once a driver is available to use. Overall light design is shorter at ~100mm OAL and a bit skinnier than the Hyperion with a smaller 20mm diameter head. As usual for me, this is a manually machined custom light.

Intended design elements are a smoother and more compact variant of the titanium piston setup with a larger 11mm diameter piston, and a captive titanium deep carry clip. The assembly is powered by a compact wave spring which provides a smooth firm resistance with a crisp "break" at actuation. The whole switching assembly while a bit more complex in machining terms due to the brass spring cup and acetal isolator around the switch being threaded and slotted, is more consistent and stable in assembly with the switch forming a nice assembly with the isolator and spring plate.

The head and tailcaps interlock with the body where they mate up to distribute force and enforce consistent rigid lockup.
The reflector continues to be the excellent McR-16S which provides a punchy beam with a wide spill that makes good use of even moderate output levels.

Grip-wise I've wanted to try something a little different from my usual "Acme" grip pattern and plan to use what I refer to as a "Wave" grip. This uses a bit wider of a ring with shallower chamfers, the result is a less abrasive grip which still provides a solid tactile grip.

Full Image Gallery: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ef9VBHTC2yWjMaVB6

Price: $535 shipped USA

7jinKDEqV4FzcI-lwebjFAiq6FJkPouyaSQ=w1688-h1266-no.jpg
2QXGzyPE0g0j4kCovITfi_tQi0uTBopa0rA=w1688-h1266-no.jpg
edyHFE5OwXg6EVpEhD3feBPfSdi9vVI1o3Q=w1688-h1266-no.jpg
ayer0sutpQDUnuM2Yn0YKKtWx9EYs9hz5VA=w1688-h1266-no.jpg
uldIQpZAUtQeGwtcI7dOvTaKYGK-NK0xafg=w1688-h1266-no.jpg
vgRqLENrmdB9VQvkdDk5pUqfuPavBNTG6ag=w1688-h1266-no.jpg
WPWu0JbWkZ-7054ir9o-Oygyh-xqZQpxdRg=w1688-h1266-no.jpg
k47Uw8WoIL3iJt-_ZwxllqkhZItb1E_tMJQ=w2402-h1248-no.png

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well hot damn I cannot wait for this! Any price estimate/ emitter possibilities?

I know this is very early, still can't help from dreaming though!

Perhaps the ultimate custom light!

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well hot damn I cannot wait for this! Any price estimate/ emitter possibilities?
I know this is very early, still can't help from dreaming though!
Perhaps the ultimate custom light!

Looking to keep it the same as the Hyperion, so around $525 USA.
Emitter wise I stock some R9080 219Bs in SW35-45, 5D XP-L HIs, and SST-20s in 3000-4000K. Could use any 3V XP footprint LED I can get ahold of, but practically speaking emitters with good throw performance like the 3 main ones I stock are ideal for a McR-16S reflector IMO.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! I think this might just be my favorite Sigma design yet. Stunning work Dev!

Looks amazing! Any idea on driver?
Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to use calipsoii's newest driver project which is supposed to be AA/14500 capable and programmable. He has documented progress in his FB group Copper and Current Designs. Outside of that, scrapping a production light with a suitable driver is the next most likely option.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outside of that, scrapping a production light with a suitable driver is the next most likely option.

I definitely hope it doesn't have to come down to that. Most likely this won't be the case, I'm thinking. A lot of progress has been made on the 15vp driver and should be near completion.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... this is another winner! Hyperion Level 2.

I think that would be appropriate, the Corvus is the successor to the Hyperion in my mind, it takes the concepts and improves or fixes all the things that bugged me with the Hyperion. Reduced diameter and length, smoothest piston actuated switch I've done yet, simplified tailcap geometry, easier to service mail seals for the piston, easier to control seal pressure, better supported and more consistent switch/piston assembly, easier switch replacement routine, and a deeper clip arrangement.
The new seal arrangement also got rid of the "lock-stick" like effect where the x-ring would lock the piston in place in some of the tighter sealed Hyperions and require a firm push to release it.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
A sneak peak at the wizardry of design that calipsoii has employed in his latest driver design. All of this stuff is on a 15mm OD board.

ACtC-3dLyDupE_7P9D9bzYTfQRo3iEO916_h6rFEQ8SrkS227njEbQcqKxobrQhZfNjXDFX6RxphrHDmkz8jhY0EpcTGIQEFYxvZTAPjiKdEh0HM9-IOk4aFpuWy-fEL_qeHddQHhETQkw1x1eoraE2rVZ4zIg=w1286-h1278-no
ACtC-3dyQLMy6w1bXrbYtyZVKYReodnfbSWF4WVizzHstA2Bm-066eK8o1gZ4xCMVNjPGVWAr3_PVR1Da2SmEeXRuWelBeC8-FOr8i9o7Z1iB8sNNjyihbmKTIp00DV2Jawvxg3sKyeGc1J62ybuYWiMgnPYhA=w1286-h1278-no

claptrap

Newly Enlightened
Wow! This light looks just about perfect!
I haven't purchased a Sigma before, so pardon my ignorance.
How does the drop/release/reservation process for these lights work? Is it announced here on CPF or elsewhere? I don't have social media, but I may have to sign up to reserve one of these sweet lights

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! This light looks just about perfect!
I haven't purchased a Sigma before, so pardon my ignorance.
How does the drop/release/reservation process for these lights work? Is it announced here on CPF or elsewhere? I don't have social media, but I may have to sign up to reserve one of these sweet lights

Thanks sir! These days most sales are in my Facebook group as that is where the most interest is typically. For the Corvus I think the sales in my FB group will be released first-come first serve, and I will keep a reservation list here on CPF for members who don't use FB.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please put my name on the reservation list for one of these lights. I am not on FB, and I'd hate to miss the opportunity. Any hint as to when these might be ready to be offered?

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mechanical update on the Corvus design. Piston design is holding up very well, minimal wear on the sliding surfaces of the piston setup, with grease still well-retained. Roughly 5 months and at least 2000 piston cycles, sliding surfaces are still polished and greased for an action as smooth as the day it was made.

ACtC-3ehAfnkZ-hpLRjoZ33n5inYsvwSqtc2p189nX137Amu1oSFz4otwf4NKDECemXsg1ZQGq8TcM3HlZBj0ao1PhmMma8z0Thp64pm98KLliEuItw2rator89_zEzFvRDQCeV_PZEiItC8gFAKF99JqoNYFg=w1854-h1390-no
ACtC-3e4mFvh9nMI86vnLYuSZGr8WBPRX9y_c-AuNWrupVMerK7aGUf_soFlfkvd_dackDSWx1QDFQb8kejbX3sMlass15uoahUyJy5KHLm8zThe-6H2sl_8eRqnOK3LINW4uXQDo93YtjGGa5BZlsSMfjYY2A=w1854-h1390-no

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks sir! These days most sales are in my Facebook group as that is where the most interest is typically. For the Corvus I think the sales in my FB group will be released first-come first serve, and I will keep a reservation list here on CPF for members who don't use FB.
I'm not on FB either, can you please reserve a spot for me?