Ryobi 40V battery - is it actually 36, drawing 40 "max?"

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Looking at a 3rd party battery for the big leaf blower since the Ryobi OEM are $150 for 6AH. This one is ~65. But the label says "36V (40Vmax)." So I wonder if its going to be straining the motor by providing under-voltage. Seems to me the blower is always at "max" - very hard to throttle the trigger on this one. The blower is a something402 - the put the label on the bottom where it scrapes on the ground!

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at a 3rd party battery for the big leaf blower since the Ryobi OEM are $150 for 6AH. This one is ~65. But the label says "36V (40Vmax)." So I wonder if its going to be straining the motor by providing under-voltage. Seems to me the blower is always at "max" - very hard to throttle the trigger on this one. The blower is a something402 - the put the label on the bottom where it scrapes on the ground!

Eh, I would steer clear of 3rd party batteries for these modern high power tools.

Regarding ratings, a 40V and 36V batteries are the same, just like 20V and 18V tool batteries are the same. They are just different ways of rating the pack for marketing bull excrement. 40V would be approximate full charge, 36V would be nominal/average charge of the pack over its discharge. Li-ion cells are usually rated as their nominal voltage, either 3.6V or 3.7V typically for a single cell. Put a string of 10 in series with monitoring and safety circuitry, and you get 36V.

BVH

Flashaholic
I've had very good results from buying three Dyson cordless vac 3rd party, larger capacity batteries online from diff sellers. They do, in-fact, contain the extra capacity and power the units as good as the OEMs.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I think the Ryobi batteries refuse to recharge after not very many cycles, so I think I'll try the half price version; can't be much worse unless they outright fail.

Anyone know the 40V pinout? - I'd like to try the "plus to plus" trick to see if my "bad" battery really just needs to have the protection circuit "bumped."

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Ryobi "40V" batteries are standard li-ion cells (3.6V nominal) in a 10S2P configuration. Should come in at 42V (10x 4.2V) hot off the charger, 36V nominal (10x 3.6V), and as low as 30V (10x 3.0V) totally flattened - note that the specific voltages that the BMS permits may well be different. It's been some time since I measured voltages on the output terminals, but odds are there's some DRM involved (if not on the power terminal then via the T1 / T2 terminals) and the batteries may misbehave if you don't 'authorize' before discharging and the power equipment may well do the same; their 18V batteries certainly did this in some iterations.

Hermie Catedrilla

Newly Enlightened
Eh, I would steer clear of 3rd party batteries for these modern high power tools.

Regarding ratings, a 40V and 36V batteries are the same, just like 20V and 18V tool batteries are the same. They are just different ways of rating the pack for marketing bull excrement. 40V would be approximate full charge, 36V would be nominal/average charge of the pack over its discharge. Li-ion cells are usually rated as their nominal voltage, either 3.6V or 3.7V typically for a single cell. Put a string of 10 in series with monitoring and safety circuitry, and you get 36V.
Does this mean that the 40v battery can fit the battery slot on my old Ryobi lawnmower that used to have a 36v battery? Same question for the battery charger receptacle.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Does this mean that the 40v battery can fit the battery slot on my old Ryobi lawnmower that used to have a 36v battery? Same question for the battery charger receptacle.
Possibly so, maybe not. I would say get the model number off your old battery and look at pictures of the new 40V batteries and google compatibility info on the new charger to see if it can charge the old battery as older chargers likely won't list newer battery models on their compatibility list even if they are while newer chargers likely would list all batteries it can charge.

Hermie Catedrilla

Newly Enlightened
Possibly so, maybe not. I would say get the model number off your old battery and look at pictures of the new 40V batteries and google compatibility info on the new charger to see if it can charge the old battery as older chargers likely won't list newer battery models on their compatibility list even if they are while newer chargers likely would list all batteries it can charge.
Agree. Thanks so much.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Those batteries from AliExpress are doing fine (I bought 2nd) , and the Ryobi is up to $200 at the big box store. Also IIRC the ryobi is only 4AH.

Oddly enough, the Ryobi that failed a year ago got put into the charger, and it charged, and seems to be fine.